Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Luckily I found a Brno 21 H for sale 2 weeks ago, at Latulippe's, in Quebec-City.

It chambers the 8x57S round and features a 23-3/4" barrel.

The stippled receiver ring measures 1.287". It has the CZ logo engraved. The left receiver wall is straight (no thumb notch). The hump is not machined for strip loading. The bolt has no guide-rib. The spoon-type bolt handle is unaltered and bears the last two digits of the rifle's serial number.

The low-profile bolt-shroud incorporates a wing safety on the left side.

Center to center distance between the receiver screws is 19,9 cm (+~-), i.e. 7.480"

The rifle has the typical german double-set trigger (deutscher Doppelstecher). The distinct trigger-bow is of shotgun type.

The barrel bears a two leaf rear sight dovetailed into an integral ramp. A barrel band sling swivel is soldered about 10" ahead of the receiver's front end. A dovetailed screw attachement is provided about 13,5" ahead of the receiver. The screw that runs through the stock probably regulates the vibration of the barrel.

The barrelled action seems to be rust-blued. All in all, this rifle is in full original, unaltered condition.

The stock is stamped with the barrelled action serial number which is 230XX

The brand name is roll-stamped on the left receiver wall. It says "Zrbrojovka Brno, Narodni Podnik"

Next to the Czech proof marks I can read the digit 4. The next digit may well be the number 9 but I am not sure. Obviously the punches of the Czech proof house must have been worn. There is another marking on the barrel, ahead of the step which reads made in czechoslovakia 7*9 . Could that mean "July (4)9?

Anyone have a clue as to the date of manufacturing?

Last edited by jmschmitt; 07/05/18.
GB1

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmschmitt
Luckily I found a Brno 21 H for sale 2 weeks ago, at Latulippe's, in Quebec-City.

It chambers the 8x57S round and features a 23-3/4" barrel.

The stippled receiver ring measures 1.287". It has the CZ logo engraved. The left receiver wall is straight (no thumb notch). The hump is not machined for strip loading. The bolt has no guide-rib. The spoon-type bolt handle is unaltered and bears the last two digits of the rifle's serial number.

The low-profile bolt-shroud incorporates a wing safety on the left side.

Center to center distance between the receiver screws is 19,9 cm (+~-), i.e. 7.480"

The rifle has the typical german double-set trigger (deutscher Doppelstecher). The distinct trigger-bow is of shotgun type.

The barrel bears a two leaf rear sight dovetailed into an integral ramp. A barrel band sling swivel is soldered about 10" ahead of the receiver's front end. A dovetailed screw attachement is provided about 13,5" ahead of the receiver. The screw that runs through the stock probably regulates the vibration of the barrel.

The barrelled action seems to be rust-blued. All in all, this rifle is in full original, unaltered condition.

The stock is stamped with the barrelled action serial number which is 230XX

The brand name is roll-stamped on the left receiver wall. It says "Zrbrojovka Brno, Narodni Podnik"

Next to the Czech proof marks I can read the digit 4. The next digit may well be the number 9 but I am not sure. Obviously the punches of the Czech proof house must have been worn. There is another marking on the barrel, ahead of the step which reads made in czechoslovakia 7*9 . Could that mean "July (4)9?

Anyone have a clue as to the date of manufacturing?

1949, month was not stamped, only year. 7.9 refers to it being an 8x57.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Hi z1r!

Is it the serial number that makes you think of a 1949 production rifle?

When did Brno switch from the round receiver to the receiver with integral rails for scope mounts?

I hesitate having a scope mount installed as it implies tapping/drilling the receiver for a base.

Unless I have the bolt handle altered there is no way an STD - type base can be used: even Weaver's Grand Slam X-tra high 1" rings won't clear the objectives of present-day scopes.

I have written an e-mail to EGW asking them if they would provide me with a custom Pica/Weaver base if I send them the receiver/ bolt measurement.

As to the 1.287" front ring measurement of my rifle, I guess polishing has to do with it.

I wonder if these rifles were not made of unfinished, leftover military receivers?

Any clues?

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 49 stamping is the year. No guide rib on the bolt coincides with the era. Military actions had the thumbcut and stripper clip guides which you say yours doesn't. Kinda rules out surplus military action. The transition to integral scope bases came about in the early 50's as I recall. I can check mine to see their dates.

Yes, mounting a scope on yours would entail having the receiver drilled and tapped. And, as you say, you will need high rings to be able to use the bolt handle with a scope. Even higher rings if the scope is European with a big ocular bell.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Scope or no scope, that is the question...

How did my grandpas hunt when scopes were rarities???

IC B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me, I'd be inclined to leave it alone if it is in good shape. Fairly rare bird. There are enough altered Brno's out there if you want to scope one. I picked up this one some time ago that had already had the bolt handle altered for a lower scope. Picked it up for a nice price. [Linked Image]

This 7x57 and Talley rings works fine with the factory handle: [Linked Image]

Both these have the integral dovetails.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmschmitt

When did Brno switch from the round receiver to the receiver with integral rails for scope mounts?

I

It turns out my Carbine was made in 1949 also. So, I'd say it is safe to say that they were making the integral mount actions in 1949. Mine has the guide rib on the bolt as well. It might have been an option even in the early years to choose between a round top or square bridge action. Even though I can't really shoot open sights that well anymore, I'd love to have an original round top Brno.

One thing that I have thought about previously is that while the receivers weren't leftover wartime production, the bolts may have been. Toward the end of the war to expedite production, the guide rib was left off the bolt bodies. It would make sense that as the transition to sporting arms was taking place, these bolt bodies would have been used. Likely the straight handle was cut off and the new spoon handle welded on. That is how FN transitioned from wartime production back to commercial production as well.

You can't really tell form the pictures but that 7x57 of mine looks to be unfired. No blemishes anywhere. An amazing little rifle. Luckily the 8x57 wasn't so nice so I get to shoot the heck out of it! And boy, does it shoot!

Would love to see pics of your rifle!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That carbine is a pretty nice rig!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Really enjoyed rereading this resurrected thread...

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Me too! I like reading Bob’s posts!!

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some notes about the dovetails. I hope the gentlemen on here with much more experience than I can concur or reflect on my comments.

1. The Brno ZG-47 dovetails should be the same as the the dovetailed 21's.
2. Permanent CZ550 mounts are not an exact fit on Brno's although many manufacturers claim that they are. Some "vertically halved" mounts might seem to fit Brno's. But the geometry of the scope tube area might be compromised.
3.On my first ZG-47, I had fitted a Leupold CZ550 scope mount and the side clip did not suit me as it leaned on a sharp angle.
4. CZ dovetails measure under 19mm (if I recall - 18.87?) and Brno's measure over 19mm (19.12?) and the CZ's have a nipple under the mount.
5. Generic CZ550 stationary mounts will need some material trimmed from the sides at the dovetail area and the nipple removed in order for them to be an exact fit on a Brno. (?)

Thanks in advance for your opinion..
CB

Last edited by custombolt; 07/18/18.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Just a quick note to thank z1r for the information he's provided.

I have chosen to have the rifle's stock refreshed and will get it today. In the meantime I have done some research as to possible scope mount bases, starting with the measurements of the rifle's receiver by a professionnal machinist.

There's a one piece, picattiny EGW base en route to Canada and it takes quite some time and canadian dollars to get a hold of it. Once it arrives I will be able to make a decision as to whether I should have the receiver drilled and tapped or not.

I would be glad to post pictures of the parts and rifle, except I do not know how to post pictures on this forum.

In case z1r can get in touch with me by private MP I will send him pictures and if he finds them interesting maybe he could post them.

Regards to all,

JMS

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Haven't looked at this thread in years, but let me add some info on 21H/22F rifles. Apparently the transition from round-top to square bridge receivers occurred in the SN 21,000 range, year 1949. Looking at sales on the internet, SN 23224 had a round top receiver while SN23649 had the double square bridge with scope mount dovetails. Both had 49 markings indicating year of manufacture. HTH.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 35, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 22 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.