24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have two USFA SAA's, one is a Sheriff's model, the other a Premium model. I took the guns in trades at gun shows. Some have told me that the USFA's are better shooters than Colts. Any thoughts on this? It seems that Montanans want Colts so any suggestions on good places to sell them?

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

USFA SAA's may be the best non-Colts on the market. IMHO, they beat the Italian clones. But, they won't hold their value like a Colt. I've had both and can't say the USFA's shoot any better than Colts. Probably as good, but not better.

IMHO, you're better off saving up and putting your green backs on the ponies, those guns with real Colt ponies stamped on their frames... smile

Actually, top of the line, case hardened USFA's are almost as expensive as Colts. Those bead blasted USFA's, silver or black, are ugly. So, with that bit of info, buying the real deal is a no brainer... laugh

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rockburner
I have two USFA SAA's, one is a Sheriff's model, the other a Premium model. I took the guns in trades at gun shows. Some have told me that the USFA's are better shooters than Colts. Any thoughts on this? It seems that Montanans want Colts so any suggestions on good places to sell them?

USFA guns are built to MUCH better tolerances and finish levels than Colts. In terms of tolerances, a USFA is built like a Freedom Arms Revolver .Colt's chamber throating and barrel dimensions are truly [bleep]. USAs are not.

If you are going to shoot 3"+ groups at 25 yards with sloppily loaded 45 Colt ammo, then the Colt will do you just fine.

If you want a truly ACCURATE revolver, buy the USFA.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jim,

You make some good points, maybe overshooting the runway a bit. I have a Freedom Arms Model 97 in .357. I've had USFA SSA's in .357 (gave my pair of CAS USFA pistols to my son). The USFA's are well machined, but IMHO, aren't precise, tight revolvers in the same class with FA's. I have late 3rd Gen. Colts (photo below) that to me are just as well made as the USFA's. I've seen sloppy Colts, but the latest 3rd Gen guns are probably as precisely made as ever produced by Colt.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim62

USFA guns are built to MUCH better tolerances and finish levels than Colts. In terms of tolerances, a USFA is built like a Freedom Arms Revolver .Colt's chamber throating and barrel dimensions are truly [bleep]. USAs are not.

+1,000

There is no investment value in third generation Colts so both are going to depreciate with use. If you want an Investment buy first generation Colts. For shooters I'll stick with USFA. The Case Colored USFA's done by Doug Turnbull are a thing of beauty.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
1st Gen. guns do bring a premium, as do certain 2nd Gen. guns.

I don't know if I buy into USFA guns holding value as well as 3rd Gen. Colts. Check on line for used gun prices. That Pony still demands respect.

Don't get me wrong. USFA makes some fine guns. I've owned and used them. I think the notion that they're somehow way yonder superior to current Colt production is part of their sales pitch.

If I was selling them, I'd probably be passing that around, too.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Jim,

You make some good points, maybe overshooting the runway a bit. I have a Freedom Arms Model 97 in .357. I've had USFA SSA's in .357 (gave my pair of CAS USFA pistols to my son). The USFA's are well machined, but IMHO, aren't precise, tight revolvers in the same class with FA's. I have late 3rd Gen. Colts (photo below) that to me are just as well made as the USFA's. I've seen sloppy Colts, but the latest 3rd Gen guns are probably as precisely made as ever produced by Colt.

DF

[Linked Image]

I am not overshooting the runway at all.

I am not just talking about cylinder lockup. I had a Colt Python that locked up tight as a drum and shaved and spit bullet jack material out of the cylinder gap .. Tight lockup did not do that gun a damn bit of good. Actually, it exacerbated it's chamber alignment s problems.

Power throating and barrel dimensions are extremely important in revolver accuracy. And, in that regard the USFA guns are the equivilent on Freedom Arms guns. And yes, I have owned and shot many FA revolvers going back over 20 years now.

The post war SAA Colts are simply as bad as is gets. They still are. They hold value because also since WWII the name on the brrel is worth more than the gun itself..

Last edited by jim62; 03/22/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good information, gentlemen.

Last edited by Rockburner; 03/22/12.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Jim,

DF

[Linked Image]

I am not overshooting the runway at all.

I am not just talking about cylinder lockup. I had a Colt Python that locked up tight as a drum and shaved and spit bullet jack material out of the cylinder gap .. Tight lockup did not do that gun a damn bit of good. Actually, it exacerbated it's chamber alignment s problems.

Power throating and barrel dimensions are extremely important in revolver accuracy. And, in that regard the USFA guns are the equivilent on Freedom Arms guns. And yes, I have owned and shot many FA revolvers going back over 20 years now.

The post war SAA Colts are simply as bad as is gets. They still are. They hold value because also since WWII the name on the brrel is worth more than the gun itself..

I disagree, but if that's the way you feel, stick with it...

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dirtfarmer - beautiful Colts you have there! I've only got 1 of the recent 3rd Gen Colt SAA's, but have 4 USFA's. The USFA's seem to be tighter and closer to the Freedom Arms in terms of craftsmanship. The Colt I have is no slouch though and has a little smoother action. All are amazing shooters. I'd wager my USFA Turnbull editions go up in value more than the 3rd Gen. Colts, but only time will tell!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Please help me out here, are the Turnbull USFA pistols a standard factory model or are they standard models that you have sent to Turnbull to be worked on privately, I guess what I'm asking is can I call up USFA and ask for a Turnbull edition?
If not then why is it that they are being compared to standard model Colts?
I mean I could take a Uberti and send it to Turnbulls to be worked on and then claim it was better than a factory Colt or a factory USFA, but only because I'd sunk a big wad of cash into it after buying it.

The original international turd
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I haven't looked on either site for a couple months, but if you want something done by Turnbull you need to contact his company.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
Dirtfarmer - beautiful Colts you have there! I've only got 1 of the recent 3rd Gen Colt SAA's, but have 4 USFA's. The USFA's seem to be tighter and closer to the Freedom Arms in terms of craftsmanship. The Colt I have is no slouch though and has a little smoother action. All are amazing shooters. I'd wager my USFA Turnbull editions go up in value more than the 3rd Gen. Colts, but only time will tell!

You could be right, although it would depend on how many they produce and how well they're received.

If you are right, it will mean a new direction in the historical trend regarding Colt branded guns and appreciation over time.

Only time will tell. In the mean time, the safe play and prevailing advice would be, stick with the ponies.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I haven't looked on either site for a couple months, but if you want something done by Turnbull you need to contact his company.

That's what I thought, so comparing a USFA SAA worked by Turnbull to a stock factory Colt is apples and oranges.

The original international turd
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by maarty
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

That's what I thought, so comparing a USFA SAA worked by Turnbull to a stock factory Colt is apples and oranges.

Factory vs. custom.

For my taste, I like the latest Gen. 3 case colors better than Turnbull's. Colt's colors are more subtle, Turnbull's much brighter. His stuff is pretty and all that is a matter of what pleases the eye.

Some of the earlier 3rd. Gen Colts were too dull and gray.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty sure you're both wrong. I believe USFA sent a select number of their guns to Turnbull for a limited edition run. The serial numbers start with DT for "Doug Turnbull". I've got a pair of them, and have seen about 6 or 8 others for sale at various places, some with engraving on the cylinders, some without. When I get a little spare time, I'll take some pics and post them next to my 3rd gen. Colt for comparison.

Last edited by Killertraylor; 04/17/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It comes down to what you want. A Colt, or a copy.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, there it is!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Dirtfarmer, You are a fellow Louisiana man so I'll be nice. I'm a former firearms instructor and armorer for the EBRSO and worked at the BRCP range.
I attended about 4 S&W schools, Sig, Ruger, Remington and so on.
The owner of USFA did this country a huge favor by making the USFA revolvers.
First, I have to clear up one thing and that is the fact that the so called bead blasted guns are named Rodeo's and they are the very same gun that the Preminums are.
The difference is that the Rodeo's receive a flat Matte finish so the cost will be lower than the very fine Case work that is done by Doug Turnbull on all the Preminum guns.
I have purchased both guns in sets from Jim Finch AKA Long Hunter about 4 years back. The internal parts and the fitting received is the exact same for both with the external finish being the only difference.
Before Jim Connelly started making the USFA Revolvers,the work done by COLT had become a thing of shame and was terrible.
When the USFA guns started outselling Colt they got off their butts and upped the quality to a point that it had been in the past. There was another maker in town that had to be dealt with.
Now for the tragic news of this posting.
The owner of USFA has decided to go in another direction and make medical equipment. That is why you can't find any new USFA guns. The dealers had months or years of orders and he said his sales were flat. The reason for the flat sales is because he would stop the line from making the bread and butter guns and have them make such bull as the multi colored teflon finished revolvers or the new 45.
He is a millonaire from birth and has never done anything but play with ideas and it does not matter if he ever sells another gun.
Long Hunter Supply became so upset that he quit taking orders for the gun. The ones that are out there are it for now unless he changes his mind again. I for one would buy another set tomorrow. Later Fairshake

Shooter ot the Holy Black,Warthog,Bold,Deadwood Marshal,Border Vigilante,So that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.