Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The springs didn't fix mine either. The Gre-Tan springs only fit after trimmed to factory spring length. Any longer and you can't get the extractor back in.

BP-B6

G
G
I ended up returning mine after trying the springs. I only cut maybe a quarter of a turn or so and was able to get it back together, but it didn't improve the ejection at all. Maybe when they come out with the Model 95 or whatever I'll take another look at Sako. Really disappointed in Sako, but thrilled with the M70 Extreme Weather SS I got to replace it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by groeder_300
I ended up returning mine after trying the springs. I only cut maybe a quarter of a turn or so and was able to get it back together, but it didn't improve the ejection at all. Maybe when they come out with the Model 95 or whatever I'll take another look at Sako. Really disappointed in Sako, but thrilled with the M70 Extreme Weather SS I got to replace it.

Sounds like a lose/win situation.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I scratch my head every time I read this thread..... confused

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I scratch my nuts and ask, "why does Shrapnel love these things so much?????" Well, the Sako's, not my nuts... laugh . Different strokes for different folks I guess... whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Schrapnel likes the old one's....they don't do this;at least I never heard of it. I don't think he likes the newer rifles.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't get carried away boys. It's not a problem on all 85s. I recently bought a kit from Brownells including spring, plunger and extractor. My 85 in 30-06 which occasionally grazed the turret cap no longer does. Things can seem a lot worse on forums than they are in reality. Ive owned/own 6 85s and 2 have had problems. Both still functioned and killed animals they just kissed the turret cap on the way out. My Sakos would be the last guns is part with.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds like Sako 85 roulette....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A risk well worth taking IMO. Any new gun is a risk but not all have the potential to be as nice as a Sako. I've got customs I like less.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Schrapnel likes the old one's....they don't do this;at least I never heard of it. I don't think he likes the newer rifles.

He likes old nuts???

BSA MAGA
IC B3

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For $1800 bucks one shouldn't have to buy a kit from brownells to fix this problem. Always wanted find one of the sako lites in a 325 wsm.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 79S
For $1800 bucks one shouldn't have to buy a kit from brownells to fix this problem. Always wanted find one of the sako lites in a 325 wsm.

You're right it shouldn't need fixing but it's a pretty low number that do IME. Haven't found anything I like better yet so for me it's still worth it.

G
G
Originally Posted by 79S
For $1800 bucks one shouldn't have to buy a kit from brownells to fix this problem....

I couldn't agree more. Actually, I was a bit disappointed in this particular rifle for a couple more reasons, too. There was a large patch on the barrel where it appeared that the texture/bead blasting wasn't done very well. I left a very noticeable patch of discoloration. Also, there was a fairly deep tooling mark or scratch in the bore about a half inch in from the muzzle. I realize I probably just got a lemon, but I would expect more from a premium rifle maker. I really liked how the gun fit and I really liked the looks of grey laminate stock, but I just didn't want to mess around with repairs/replacement after that experience.

Contrast that experience with the M70 Extreme Weather I replaced it with and I'm happy with my decision. I realize that the button rifled barrel on the M70 may not last as long, but the gun seems to shoot just as well and I can seat the bullets into the lands if I so desired. Couldn't get anywhere near the lands on the Sako. I can also put whatever super-turret scope I want on the M70 and never have to give a second thought about ejection. Not that I will, but I could...

I still don't doubt at all that the Sako is a very fine rifle, but I did not get a favorable first impression. After reading about all the problems with ejection, even if it's a small percentage, it went against my better judgement to even give the Sako a try. The only reason I did was the dealers insistence that I would be able to return it for a full refund if I was at all unhappy with it. He and I were both disappointed that it didn't work out, but he didn't give me any grief over the return.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Glad you like the extreme weather. Are sure the barrels on those are button rifled? I thought hammer forged.

G
G
I can't put my finger on anything concrete, but if you look at their catalogs or website, they don't say the stainless barrels are hammer forged. They also don't say any of the "shadow" guns are hammer forged whether stainless or not.

I also read an article someplace else that stated they don't hammer forge the stainless barrels. If someone could prove otherwise, I'd be delighted. The roughness in the new barrel seem to be consistent with other button rifled barrels I have, too. Other than that, I can't say for sure one way or the other.

I did find this info on their website that states blued steel barrels are hammer forged.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/library/articles/detail.asp?id=252

Last edited by groeder_300; 01/27/15.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I guess I got lucky with the 3 model 85's I own, 2 in LA and 1 in SA. NONE have any type of ejection for feeding issues at all.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Horseman
Originally Posted by 79S

You're right it shouldn't need fixing but it's a pretty low number that do IME. Haven't found anything I like better yet so for me it's still worth it.

It wouldn't have been worth it if yours hadn't worked though now would it. The most pitiful part of the whole issue is not that a small but significant number of 85M rifles have this ejection issue; but the fact Beretta/Sako refuse to acknowledge it as a warranty issue. When I was told by customer service that they only warranty the rifle to eject empty brass without the scope mounted that told me the whole story. With the ejector blade at dead center 6 O'clock on the bolt face and the extractor at the 10 or 11 O'clock position it's obvious there's little room for error in the design. But Beretta/Sako says live with it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had it not worked I'd have sent it down the road and tried another just as I've done with a lot of rifles. You're not married to it and they make new ones everyday.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Very seldom do I pay retail, preferring to purchase rifles pre-enjoyed at a value. However, there are occasions......

[Linked Image]

Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine, 308 Win.

I have an inkling it won' be following anyone else home until I assume room temperature.

JAPPF,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
Very seldom do I pay retail, preferring to purchase rifles pre-enjoyed at a value. However, there are occasions......

[Linked Image]

Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine, 308 Win.

I have an inkling it won' be following anyone else home until I assume room temperature.

JAPPF,

GWB

You are such an opportunist grin I could learn to love that Sako

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
169 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.