Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
don't tell papy that it works, he might buy another Sako.

In fact I hope it drops the price, so people are willing to let them go cheaper.

smile

BP-B6

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
here's the proof - an eatin' size whitetail from last year ;-)
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think it is strictly a long cartridge, tall turret problem. I am another who shoots 2 RUMS in the SAKO 75 and the Leupy M1 turrets are a no go

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by M12
And 204, 222, 223 & 22-250 ......LOL wink

NOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAlCcC45n50

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L

My Sako 85 Classic in 30-06 shows the ejection problem even WITHOUT a scope on it.

It is a problem on the bolt, where the extractor has little space to go against the center of the bolt face (the cut is too shallow).

It causes the extractor to not grab the base of the brass with enought force and at the middle of the extraction, when the brass clears the chamber, it just slips out of the extractor claw.

The only definitive solution I saw is to make the extractor cut on the face of the bolt a little deeper, so the extractor can actually grab with more force and pressure the brass until the ejector pushes it out of the action.

LRCampos.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
LRCampos,

I thought you said your 85 hit low on the ejection port?

Most of the problems the guys and even myself have run into is that the brass was exiting up vs downward to the right.

I did touch up my extractor claw and it fixed mine, did you check yours for burs?

Just curious, I hadn't heard of one ejecting into the bottom of the port before.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L

It depends how fast you cycle the bolt... make it slow and the brass slips out of the extractor and it rest inside the action.

Cycle fast and usually it goes up. Sometimes hit the scope (not the turret. My scope is a VX-6 hunting scope) and end up inside the action. Sometimes is goes out.

I changed the extractor (Tubbs and McMillan extractors were tested), changed the extractor spring, and nothing did really corrected the problem.

Only way would be a longer claw on the extractor or to make the extractor cut on the bolt face a little deeper.

This, for me, is an obviously project flaw by Sako. They loose a customer with it.

LRCampos.

Last edited by LRCampos; 03/11/17.
Q
QuQ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
I have a Sako 85 in .270 Win and haven't experienced a single ejection issue.

Last edited by QuQ; 03/12/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have 2 Sako 85 S and have had zero issues with them.

Both are capable of exceptional accuracy could not be happier.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm going to do a one-and-done post here in an attempt to describe the cause of the malfunction based on considerable tinkering with the rifle I had. All long action 85s do not exhibit this problem and I realize that, but very many do. I'm not going to argue or debate with anyone, just going to share the knowledge of why this happens.

The ejection malfunction is a product of two pieces of hardware in the bolt/action, their positions and relationship with one another. Having the ejector at the 6 o'clock position of the bolt face is the primary design fault responsible for these failures to eject cases and/or rounds. Bad engineering period. Designers intentionally designed the ejector to strike the bottom of the case head causing the case mouth to go straight up toward the scope. They then tried to override this action with a fairly small extractor just barely past 9 o'clock. Instead of the extractor guiding the case out of the action as with other rifles, it instead must jerk the case around a corner to get it out of the port.

When the bolt is moved to the rear the extractor does it's job and pulls the cartridge case along. The extractor hook at this point has full contact with the case rim. When the ejector hits the case head at the 6 o'clock point up goes the case mouth. With the case now angling upward the bottom of the case rim moves outward from the bolt face causing the extractor to spring outward as well. As a result the only contact the extractor now has with the case rim is with the bottom point of the extractor hook. When the case mouth contacts the scope it can go no further up. But the ejector is still pushing the bottom of the case head. Something has to give. What gives is the single point of contact the extractor has with the case rim. With additional pressure from the ejector, the case head squirts straight down off the bolt face and out from under the extractor. Failure to eject.

The spring upgrade (heavier) being used with some success apparently allows the single point of contact the extractor has with the rim to hang on long enough for the case to leave the port. I'll be surprised if this actually keeps the case from contacting the scope tube or turret. As I've said before, every time this action ejects a case it almost didn't. Another possible ointment for this wound may be a shorter ejector so contact with the case head is later in the bolt stroke. That would also decrease the upward movement of the case mouth. But that's Beretta's problem not mine. Over and out.

Last edited by shootem; 03/12/17.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by LRCampos

It depends how fast you cycle the bolt... make it slow and the brass slips out of the extractor and it rest inside the action.

Cycle fast and usually it goes up. Sometimes hit the scope (not the turret. My scope is a VX-6 hunting scope) and end up inside the action. Sometimes is goes out.

I changed the extractor (Tubbs and McMillan extractors were tested), changed the extractor spring, and nothing did really corrected the problem.

Only way would be a longer claw on the extractor or to make the extractor cut on the bolt face a little deeper.

This, for me, is an obviously project flaw by Sako. They loose a customer with it.

LRCampos.

Speed of cycling can make angle vary on most rifles with a standing ejector in my experience. I've seen this on Kimbers and M70's also. I've had Kimbers kiss scope turrets if you rip bolt back forcefully. One advantage of a plunger ejector is the force and performance is constant regardless of how bolt is operated.

G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Good evening gentlemen.

I am Gramps2 and I can not believe that this post has been going on for so long. I am the old fart that posted my problems that I was experiencing with the 85. My initial post was on 4/24/12, and I was not a happy camper. My Sako 85 Finnlight in .270 Win was doing all the bad things that have been brought up in this almost 5 year post. I guess I was one of the lucky individuals who got Beretta to refund the purchase price of the piece. I have always had a fondness for Sako rifles, and I had never had a bad experience with older twin lug rifles. I was looking for a lighter rifle than my older heavier Sako's. Some campers had problems like myself, while others never had any problems. After studying the rifle I came up with the following diagnosis. 1. In making a 3 lug bolt that was very slick and trying for controlled round feeding, they went off course in what could have been a very nice rifle. 2. The positioning of the ejector at 6:00 was a huge design flaw. Plus the fact that the extractor spring needed to be stronger. 3. You should not have to mount a scope sky high to get proper extraction and ejection. If a cut had been made in the left locking lug that allowed for a 9:00 fixed blade ejector that would kick the fired brass out at right angle, it would never fail to eject. I for one do not believe these problems would exist if my simple cures were followed. I am not trying to take anything away from the 85's and I am a Sako man at heart, but a recall should have been sent out to correct this problem, and a redesigned 85 should be in the works.

Good night to all,
G2

G
G
I had to return a great .300 WSM Gray Wolf because of this issue. I've been watching Sako for a fix or redesign, but it' still isn't coming. I have plans to trade down to fewer rifles if they ever get this fixed, but until then, I won't own any Sako rifle.

Also, FWIW, I had an older M70 Winchester with the CRPF action that would have had this same issue, but they put the ejector in the right place, so there was never any issue.

Last edited by groeder_300; 11/07/17.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I too wrote about that a few years ago. I had a wickedly accurate .240 Ruger and a .270 Win. soon saw that the 6 o'clock ejector position was kicking shells upwards and hitting the bottom of the scope tube or the windage dial/cover. Can't believe that would pass any design and engineering scrutiny. My lgs asked and was told that my scope was the probem, not their design. I rotated the .204 scope 90* counter clockwise to allow for room for ejected brass but soon grew weary of the look and how to change settings.
Both went down the road and I will never buy another - too bad.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I had the same problem years ago. One of the reasons I started buying Coopers.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.