Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
How many of ya'all are running one ?

I don't worry too much about it with a motor like my old 97 Cummins , but if you have a newer motor with a common rail system they are much more fussy......I run an additive in every tank full when driving my 08 Ford 6.4

ran across this study awhile back and the results surprised me......

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

some of the old standbys that I liked ( such as Howes , Power Service , Stanadyne) don't look so good....as a result I switched to running Opti-Lube in my 6.4

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the link, interesting....

Where do you pick up Opti-Lube?

As stated in the previous post, I run Walmarts 2 cycle oil. About every other tank, figure there's always some left over after a fill up from the previous tank. Don't think I pick up any mileage, but it does seem a hair quieter.

Haven't done any extensive tests, but I think the 2 cycle oil makes a big difference in my folks' 7.3 powerstroke.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That study is from 2007, before ULSD fuel. I doubt any of those additives are the same today as they were back then.

The shop that works on my truck recommended Delphi and I've used it for years. The guy who built my stroker CP3 pump also recommended adding 2-stroke oil.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
ULSD would have to have been out in 2007 , as the 07.5 pickups like Dodge and Ford had the new dpf systems on them , and you have to have ULSD for those...also think the class 8 trucks had dpf s by then

cal , found out that Opti-Lube has NO dealers in the midwest , so I ordered directly and it came on the UPS truck .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're right. I was thinking ULSD was in '08 but it was '07. Still, looking for test data I'd be wanting something more current than 5yrs ago.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That's the lastest test that is out. There are rumors of members on diesel forums paying to have another test done. The new Ford 6.7 owners seem to be the closest since we are worried about the new Bosch fuel pump needing better lubrication than ULSD.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I run Stanadyne Performance Formula in my 2006 Duramax. Not sure how much it helps, but its got to be better than none.

NEVER GIVE UP
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I use Powerservice in my 06 Cummins and also run the 2 stroke oil about every other tank. I agree, not sure how much it all helps and especially the 2 stroke oil but it sure hasn't done any harm.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a 98 Cummins, 24 valve, and have used the Power Service since I bought it, now at 100+K. The Standyne is about triple the cost here.
I can't really figure out what to do as ther rre fleet operators that run a bunch of trucks and do not reccomend anything.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I used the Walmart version (Syntech) of 2 stroke in the 2007 Dodge 5.9 CTD for two years. I tried Amsoil, Standyne lubricity and Performance formula but my truck got better mileage with the 2 stroke. I currently have a 2011 Ford F 250 with the 6.7 and I'm using Motorcraft additive and Optilube. I would like to try the 2 stroke in the new truck but I just don't have the nerve yet with all of the emission garbage on it. I've read that all of the 2 Stroke is burned but I just don't want to risk it.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have a 98 Cummins, 24 valve, and have used the Power Service since I bought it, now at 100+K. The Standyne is about triple the cost here.
I can't really figure out what to do as ther rre fleet operators that run a bunch of trucks and do not reccomend anything.

My company runs 13,000 or so class 8 trucks - over a million gallons of diesel a dayr - we don't run a thing for additives. If we thought it saved us anything or actually made a difference in component lifespan, at that scale - we would. We run out trucks to the 700k-1 million mile mark.

FWIW - Granted class 8 is mucho different than your pick-up.

Me

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
teal.....wondering what you seeing on your class 8 trucks with common rail fuel systems for life span of the high pressure fuel pump ?

do you know if your fuel supplier is putting in any additives prior to delivery ?

thats my main concern with these newer pickups with common rail ...the Fords in particular have proven to prone to problems with with the HPFP ; also water in the fuel will damage them quickly

one reason I use an additive is to de-mulsify any water present , so the fuel water separator can get rid of it before it reaches the injection system

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
For those of you adding 2 stroke oil, how much are you adding per tankful? I am using Power Service curently in my 2002 Ford 7.3 and have not had any issues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
For those of you adding 2 stroke oil, how much are you adding per tankful? I am using Power Service curently in my 2002 Ford 7.3 and have not had any issues.

I run about 16 oz per tank (my 5.9 cummins & my folks' 7.3 powerstroke), usually only add ever other tank though.

From what I've read some people will run twice that much, but not many.

ps: Buy a small bottle of Walmarts Outboard (smokeless) and the gallon jug. Dump the small bottle and fill it from the gallon when you're ready for the next tank you'll have what you need.

Last edited by cal74; 04/25/12.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Thanks for the information

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
teal.....wondering what you seeing on your class 8 trucks with common rail fuel systems for life span of the high pressure fuel pump ?

do you know if your fuel supplier is putting in any additives prior to delivery ?

thats my main concern with these newer pickups with common rail ...the Fords in particular have proven to prone to problems with with the HPFP ; also water in the fuel will damage them quickly

one reason I use an additive is to de-mulsify any water present , so the fuel water separator can get rid of it before it reaches the injection system

It's rather rare that I've had to replace a fuel pump. I can think of 1 in the last several months.

As to fuel supplier - I don't know. We buy a lot of ours via Petro - standard pull up to the pump and go.

Back when I was working for a dealership and ULSD came out - most of the engine mfgs STRONGLY cautioned against adding 2 stroke or ATF fluids to the fuel. Their concern was "at what point does that additive combust and is it at a different point than fuel? Particularly if it's early??????" Now I'd think a fuels engineer could answer and I think the question is valid given that 2 stroke oil is designed to be mixed with gas and burned via spark and not compression like diesel but it's not something I ever bothered to look into much.

Dunno - I think sometimes people are quick to blame the fuel for a failure when maybe, it's most likely just a chitty part/quality to begin with.

Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't add anything to my diesel. If I were to use anything I certainly wouldn't use two stroke oil in a modern common rail engine, the stuff's not designed for that. You could get away with that (though it was never necessary) with the old mechanical pumps, no way I'm pumping that crap through a $500 computerized injector at 22,000 PSI.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The article would seem to confirm what I have read elsewhere, namely that blending some soy based biodiesel with regular diesel fuel improves the fuel's lubricity and should help to protect engine fuel injection components. Here in Minnesota all diesel fuel sold has a state mandated 2% biodiesel content, the same amount that achieved the greatest lubricity gain according to the article.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I don't add anything to my diesel. If I were to use anything I certainly wouldn't use two stroke oil in a modern common rail engine, the stuff's not designed for that. You could get away with that (though it was never necessary) with the old mechanical pumps, no way I'm pumping that crap through a $500 computerized injector at 22,000 PSI.

I'm not all that familiar with bio blends, but as Walt pointed out I guess they do at least add back some lubrication to the fuel and help keep things cleaned up as well.

With that said, there's LOTS of trucks out there that weren't designed to run on the current ULSD either. It is somewhat of a crap shoot as to what you really should do. 1000.00 CP3, 400-500 dollar injectors

Simple fact is our diesel we do have available is pretty crappy when it comes down to it. Best thing you can do is filtration filtration filtration.

Duramax apparently has the same type of injectors used on Dodge Cummins. Chevy at least has better filtration from the factory. And there's LOTS of people that will just buy whatever filter is cheapest or most readily available at their parts place.

Best thing anyone can do is add some additional filtration and run a good filters.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
456 members (160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 320090T, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.