Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I have never seen a NF fail (including the one with the bullet through it). I'm sure they break like all things made, but I would bet they have the lowest failure rate of any US issued sniper scope.

the NF that took an AK47 bullet sold me my first NF. the story went that the guy using that scope just taped up the holes up and continued using the scope until a replacement could be sourced.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I sure hate to be the negative one here but a buddy of mine shoots at the Nationals each year along with his son. The son owns several junior records and is an optics nut. He has rotated through more scopes than I can count but he went from a Mark IV to a NF and liked it to start with but in the past year and a half it's been back to NF for 3 different repairs. He has told me he sure wishes for his Mark IV back. I looked through his NF and was not impressed by the optic clarity and contrast but maybe that was just me. I know others have different experiences and for the most part it does seem the NF's are pretty bomb proof but that's what I know.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Excuse me ? Nightforce gets a military contract every year for about 50 scopes from what I've seen. The US Army has long used Leupolds in several forms on their sniper and other tactical rifles.
The USMC does use S&B's. That's because they wrote specs that fit the S&B scope they adopted back when Leupold didn't make anything that close the specs the USMC insisted on.
I'd also point out that it's hardly fair comparing NF scopes to Leupolds in general. Afterall, Leupold makes everything from cheap $200 scopes all the way the the $4000 Mk.8's.
Speaking of the Mk.8, the military asked the major scope companies to develop a scope with those specs. Apparently only Leupold could make one that actually worked.
As to reliability, how come NF has such a huge backlog on repairs for their scopes ? Last I heard, it was over six months. Owners with "minor" problems were encouraged not to send their scopes in at all. In contrast, when I last talked to Leupold, which was last week, their response was " I'm not sure, send it in and we'll look at it." E

This post is about 90% lies and the other 10% is speculation. Its great that you are happy with your Leupold customer service. I bet you are pleased that they repair your scope every time you have to send the piece of junk in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Customer Service is "code" for "my broken scope".

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tulie
I sure hate to be the negative one here but a buddy of mine shoots at the Nationals each year along with his son. The son owns several junior records and is an optics nut. He has rotated through more scopes than I can count but he went from a Mark IV to a NF and liked it to start with but in the past year and a half it's been back to NF for 3 different repairs. He has told me he sure wishes for his Mark IV back. I looked through his NF and was not impressed by the optic clarity and contrast but maybe that was just me. I know others have different experiences and for the most part it does seem the NF's are pretty bomb proof but that's what I know.

That never has been NF's claim to fame. It's their utmost repeatability and bulletproof construction. I don't find their optics up to par with the scope price, but I have the luxury of not having people shooting back at me.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by toad
I have never seen a NF fail (including the one with the bullet through it). I'm sure they break like all things made, but I would bet they have the lowest failure rate of any US issued sniper scope.

the NF that took an AK47 bullet sold me my first NF. the story went that the guy using that scope just taped up the holes up and continued using the scope until a replacement could be sourced.

[Linked Image]

When that first occurred they had the troop who was issued the scope displaying it on his rifle. Absolutely amazing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Formidilosus,

Thank you for your service sir!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya gotta love the way the troll make stuff up when they have nothing to contribute to a thread !

As I said:

Nightforce & Schmidt and Bender.

I'd rather have the old Unertl and Swaro fixed 10Xs than any Leupold. Never seen a Leupy on a Barrett semi have you ?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by whiteeyes
I'd rather have the old Unertl and Swaro fixed 10Xs than any Leupold. Never seen a Leupy on a Barrett semi have you ?

sure.

go to Barrett watch the slide show. you'll see a few. no Unertl or Swaro though. wonder why...

look familiar?

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
E, stop. Please. You know nothing of military sniping or sniper equipment.

These are the Leupolds issued in the military.

Ultra M3A (or MK4) 10x40
MK4 LR M3 3.5-10x40
MK4 4.5-14x50 M1
TS-30 A2 3�9�36
MK8 1.1-8x24 CQBSS
MK4 34mm 6.5-20x50

There are/were a few others in limited numbers.

The only ones that don't have consistent problems are the fixed 10x, the MK8 CQBSS, and the new 34mm 6.5-20x50.

The rest fail at an unacceptable rate for military sniper use.

Your statement about Nightforce's military contracts and repair backlog is false. They have, and have had, several contracts within USSOCOM, NAVSPECWAR, and USASOC. They currently have one worth 25.8 million dollars.

They do have a huge backlog across the board with their optics because they are selling every single scope they can make. It has nothing to do with repairs.

I have spent 7 years as a military duty slotted sniper. I have been issued, used, and shot every scope mentioned in this thread. I have seen the variable Leupolds fail at around 25-30% rate. That is- it is not uncommon to have 2 or 3 variable power Leupolds out of 10 develop issues when used hard. I have seen both S&B and Premier scopes have issues (granted there have been very few). I have never seen a NF fail (including the one with the bullet through it). I'm sure they break like all things made, but I would bet they have the lowest failure rate of any US issued sniper scope.

Formidilosus,

Thank you for your service.

If I may ask, exactly what kind of failures did you see with the Leupolds?

JD338

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Formidilosus,

Thank you for your service sir!

+1. I'd like to offer my appreciation also.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by Tulie

That never has been NF's claim to fame. It's their utmost repeatability and bulletproof construction. I don't find their optics up to par with the scope price, but I have the luxury of not having people shooting back at me.

that is true and the reason that the F class guys like them so much. absolute repeatability. I was just stating my very limited experience and what I do know from my buddy. His has not held up as well as his previous Mark IV. Might just be the one that is that way but he's not very pleased at this moment.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+2

Hate war, but soldiers are top of the heap in my book.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thank you for your service.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Guys I appreciate the thanks but there is no reason for it. There are a lot of people that have paid a heavy price in the last decade and I'm not one of them. I've lived my childhood dream for the last 7+ years.

Originally Posted by whiteeyes
Ya gotta love the way the troll make stuff up when they have nothing to contribute to a thread !

As I said:

Nightforce & Schmidt and Bender.

Actually yes.

[Linked Image]

The Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 M1 is the US Army standard issue scope for the M107 Barrett.

Originally Posted by JD338

Formidilosus,

Thank you for your service.

If I may ask, exactly what kind of failures did you see with the Leupolds?

JD338

It's almost always with tracking. Either inconsistent tracking, getting sporadic "jumps" or fliers when making an adjustment, or sometimes total failure of the erector system. This only really manifests itself when constantly dialing. Once zeroed and left they tend to hold zero very reliably. My experience with training hunters over the last few years, and my own hunting/shooting confirms this across the board. And it's not just with Leupolds, truthfully they are probably better then most of the major hunting scope brands in this regard.

If I was a zero and forget it kind of person, then I would have no problem using most Leupolds for hunting. Like I said they will hold a zero through rough handling, which is something I can not say for most. Since I'm not a set and forget guy and I like using my hunting rifle to it's full capability, I want to be able to dial. So I use Leupold fixed power scopes. Specifically 6x's. They are durable, reliable and track well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Guys I appreciate the thanks but there is no reason for it. There are a lot of people that have paid a heavy price in the last decade and I'm not one of them. I've lived my childhood dream for the last 7+ years.

I disagree...because of you, and men and women like you, we, here on American soil need fear no foreign invasions, bombs falling from enemies of America and even terrorism has been contained. I am 99.99% sure that when I wake up in the morning, everything domestically will be just like it was when I go to sleep tonight. That is because of the brave men & women of our armed forces and we, the civilian population, do owe each and every one of you a heartfelt thank you for your service. Praise God that you were not seriously maimed or killed, but that in no way diminishes the fact that you did serve and did put your life on the line for those of us "back home".

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
F, of the issues you have seen with the Leupy's not maintaining accurate tracking adjustments, does it occur on a particular weapon system? Also, does the problem usually show up after a given number of shots or adjustments? In an earlier post, you said something like 30% of the Leupolds have malfunctions. Does this mean that the remaining 70% performed as advertised, indefinitely? Also, just out of curiosity, how many rounds do you guys fire during your training in CONUS, and on what weapon systems/calibers? Thanks for your time.

Jeff

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
F, of the issues you have seen with the Leupy's not maintaining accurate tracking adjustments, does it occur on a particular weapon system? Also, does the problem usually show up after a given number of shots or adjustments? In an earlier post, you said something like 30% of the Leupolds have malfunctions. Does this mean that the remaining 70% performed as advertised, indefinitely? Also, just out of curiosity, how many rounds do you guys fire during your training in CONUS, and on what weapon systems/calibers? Thanks for your time.

Jeff

It is common to see 2 to 3 Leupold variables out of 10 have issues in a week long class, figuring anywhere from 500-1,000 rounds depending on what rifle is used. So I can't say the other 70% work indefinitely. To be sure some do and some don't. Recoil doesn't seem to be the problem. On military guns they are used on 5.56mm, 308's, 300WinMags, and .50's. With a few 338 Lapua's thrown in for good measure.

Round count varies from unit to unit in the military. Most in the conventional Army do not get near enough. With the military, my training company and competition I see well over 100,000 rounds shot at long range a year.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Wow, that's a lot of shooting! I'm envious.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.