Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
I was born on VE Day, and grew up with the greatest generation. They were in charge of things when I began my working life. As they retired from the scene, things began to deteriorate, until by the time I retired they were sorely missed. These were people forged in the Great Depression, the Dust Bowl and by doing difficult work well. They knew things, they could do things, they didn't whine, but they did on occasion sit staring off into a distance that may have held dreams of what could have been.

My father was not of the Greatest Generation, he predated it having been born in 1893. He served in The Great War, in the Army Flying Corps, and during World War II built landing craft for the Pacific Theater. My mother was born in 1908, she welded those same landing craft together. Yet my father suffered from what today we call PTSD, as evidenced by his nightmares. He died when I was ten years old. We can only offer our love and honor to these great individuals, yet that will never be enough to heal their scars or quite the nightmares. I rest assured that they are held in the loving arms of their Father where all wounds are healed, their mind set at peace, and the heart is once again made blameless.

If there is one simple statement that can be said, it would be: Well done.
I had one Uncle that fought in WWI. We were just up by his grave the other day.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
My dad would have been 85 now hes been gone be 3 years May 8th, was in the Navy, but was stuck in the Aleain Islands near Dutch harbor. Im about 1/2 as tough, he and his gen was. and my god, seems each gen. is worse, Thanks for the post, tell you father Thanks, and take care!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Thank you for posting pictures of your Father and the things he brought back from the war. Both of my Grandfathers served in the Army during the war, and both ended up in Italy. My Maternal Grandfather, whom I lost in April of 2000, was the best friend I ever had. I call him The Indian in my stories now, because it seems so much of what I know, I learned from following that man around. He was in the 88th Infantry Division, "The Bluedevils" which was in the 5th Army, under General Mark Clark. Papaw is on the Right in the top photo and on the left in the bottom pic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have a few pictures of my Paternal Grandfather, but I haven't had my scanner hooked up in some time. I'll have to get those pictures uploaded soon.

My undying thanks to the men and women who gave so much of themselves so that I could be raised an American.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My father 89 also served in WWII. Starting in the Spring of '43 he was a Flying 8 Ball (8th Air Force) (still has a couple of the shoulder patches). Ball turret gunner on B-24's out of Shipdam, England. Flew 32 daylight missions over Europe; mostly in the ball some as tail or nose gunner. We've got the press release onion skin and pic for when he received the Airman's Medal. He's got a DFC (Distinguished Flying Cross) but has never told me or my sisters how he earned it. Pretty sure they didn't just hand those out. The state of AR has a special tag for those that qualify. See pic. Only cost him like $3.25 a year. He has been blessed with exceptional health for a man his age. In the 2 weeks after his 89th B-Day last Nov. he killed an 8 point and a 10 point buck with his trusty Rem. 760 .270 pump rifle. Now there's a goal for all us; to be 89 and still able to deer hunt and shoot well enough to be successful at it. We have been blessed to still have him in our lives.

Attached Images
dfcross_lg.jpg (43.45 KB, 61 downloads)
Last edited by magshooter1; 04/26/12.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
May he hunt for as long as his heart desires. God Bless him.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Dad Delbert Earl Frey

[Linked Image]

My Uncle Clarence Meyers

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Terry you look just like your Dad and your Uncle. Stong family resemblance.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I don't have any WWII pics of my father...wish I did. I've posted before that he was in the European Theatre, a Combat Engineer with the 69th Infantry division. His unit was one of the first in to liberate Buchenwald,he ( they) tried like hell to blow up the Bridge at Remagen, and they met the Russians at the River Elbe for VE day...
A source of enormous pride...
He left the party wayyyyy too early, over thirty years ago....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm pretty sure there was an old man in Somerset, KY. That was in that outfit. He was a barber I used to go to, when I had more hair and lived over that way. Told alot of stories about Remagen, and building the pontoon bridge across the Rhine. I don't know if he is still living or not though. It has been several years since I sat in his chair.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool....I had the pleasure 20 years ago of running into an old dude that was on his way home from a 69th reunion, a cannon cocker. He said he was surprised the Russians would even speak to us when they finally met up...not knowing who they were, and thinking they were Germans, he said the shelled the hell out of them for awhile before VE day.....doh! blush
Dad had brought back some souveniers, and I had the unmitigated pleasure of giving this guy a Nazi dress dagger dad brought home. Told him I'm sure dad would want him to have it....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

341 members (1lesfox, 22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,320
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.