Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Hi,

Are there any followers of the Winchester Model 70's in .225 here? There's one coming up on an action sale in my area and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any information on them and a ballpark figure. Seems like the ones that have actually sold on the auction sites range from $450 up to $1200, which is a huge spread. I didn't think too much of it when I saw it listed, but thought it would be a cool caliber to have, and the online auctions I found have the word "rare" in them. I see they were made for 8 years, so are they actually "rare", or are they just "more rare" than the other calibers? I haven't seen the gun and won't until the auction, and I've never had much like buying firearms at auction sales, but would like to get a ballpark price so I know if it's a good deal. Thanks.

Randy

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The usual things apply when considering a used gun in an unpopular cartridge.

That's likely to be a post 64 M70 and may even have pressed in checkering. Also why is it for sale? How does it shoot? etc.

Do a search now for 225 ammo and brass. While I have some as it fits in my .219 I. Zipper I would not seek another one out.

We all buy guns for the fun of it. If the price is right and you like it then go for it. Varmint season and warmer weather are close.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99

That's likely to be a post 64 M70 and may even have pressed in checkering. Also why is it for sale? How does it shoot? etc.

Do a search now for 225 ammo and brass. While I have some as it fits in my .219 I. Zipper I would not seek another one out

Savage: It will most definately be a post 64 because it was not introduced until 1964. And yes, it will have pressed checkering.

Randy: I have a '65 model and love it. Yes, she's ugly, but she sure do shoot good!

I have read that the 225's have gone up in price due to their rarity. So if it's NIB or close it may be worth something in the upper end of the range you mentioned.

IMO, it you are looking for a collectable, there are better options. If you are looking for a shooter, and can get it at the lower end of the price range, I'd go for it. 225's have a reputation for accuracy. And brass is still available.

The cartridge is basically a 22-250 less 100 fps.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a couple of .225's back in the 60's and 70's and would like to pick one up as a shooter, but not for the inflated prices that are often asked. If anyone knows of one that is reasonably priced, please let me know.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I see more Savage M340s in 225 than I do M70s, and that isnt
very often.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys. I was just kind of surprised at what some of them are fetching on the auction sites and was curious if they are really that much of a collectible. I'll see what it sells for and if it goes reasonable, maybe I'll come home with it.

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sold mine recently. It was mint though, and the buyer was tickled to get it.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Still have an unfired Sporter version....the worst M70 barrels I have observed over the years were on used .225s and a few Hornets.. Worst defined as rifling that was barely visible or, in some cases, missing from much of the barrel....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My '66 sporter weight has been shooting tiny groups at 100 yds for the 12 or so years that I have owned it. Guess I got a good one; buddy of mine got a good one too, about the same vintage, same results - ymmv.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've got a nice one that I inherited. Good shooter.

I keep thinking I will sell it sometime but I always get cold feet. It's unlikely it has collector value but it's in excellent condition with Weaver rings, Bushnell scope, 7 boxes of ammo and 100 pieces of brass. The ammo may actually have collector value which keeps me from shooting it much.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RandySavage99
Thanks guys. I was just kind of surprised at what some of them are fetching on the auction sites and was curious if they are really that much of a collectible. I'll see what it sells for and if it goes reasonable, maybe I'll come home with it.

so, did you buy it?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
No, I didn't. Condition was okay, nothing great, but the killer for me was a non-factory recoil pad. I hate those things!!!!! It had the old Weaver V9 3-9 power on it and it sold for $700. Not too bad, but too much for me.

Randy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.