Print Thread
Hop To
G
GreBb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I am working on a new 22-250 built on a 1909 Peruvian Mauser action, 1:8" barrel, to shoot long-for-the-caliber bullets, mainly sierra 65gr GK SBT and TTSX 62 gr, maybe 75gr A-Maxes too...

I am looking for advise on which throat length should I have the chamber cut with, as I have plenty of room in the magazine to seat them further out than the standard cartridge length.

Thank you in advance.

BBerg

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last thing you want is to have the bullet hop, skip and jump to the bore, so unless your builder is using a tight throat reamer, pick the bullet you plan to use and throat it for that. My throat reamers cut .0005 over bullet, so coming up with an ideal length of throat for multiple bullets isn't as critical as it would be if the throat were cut with a standard throater.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
G
GreBb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thank you, Malm.
Asuming a "tight" throat that would allow to shoot shorter bullets still with precision, what throat length would you suggest that allows a TTSX seated with the heel of the boat tail flush with the base of the neck?
Just to make myself an idea, what is the SAAMI standard throat length for the 22-250?
Thank you!
Bberg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First, I'm not a big fan of seating the boat tail into the neck, and, I don't have a TTSX here to measure, but, to help you find what you need, you will have to determine the distance from the ogive (pronounced "Oh-Jive") to the heel and subtract the length of the neck to give you the basic figure you are looking for, provided you are wanting to seat the ogive against the lands. I haven't cut a SAAMI spec throat in over 30 years so I can't tell you off hand what it would be for a 22-250. Maybe one diameter. Don't know. I would have to dig through some books to find it, which I would be happy to do, but maybe someone here knows the SAAMI length off hand.

For the benefit of those wanting to know how they can determine the location of a particular bullets ogive, they can simply insert the bullet, nose first, into the muzzle which will automatically mark the ogive location for that bullet when it stops. Good luck!

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
G
GreBb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thank you, Malm.

I will try that way, and will try to google-find tha standard throat length. I don't know, but your guess of one caliber seem like too long for me.

Can you please explain why you are not a big fan of seating the boat tail into the neck...?

Regards.

BBerg.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 21, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.