Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here are a few pics from 05' with the final pic being my take so far with the exception of 5 coyotes, 2 fox, 2 coon, and a badger that I sold for lifesize mounts.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Cool, thanks.

What do you use to entice the canines?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All of my lures come from MN Trapline Products. The Caven lures as well as some from John Graham and Ray Milligan are my favorites. I like the Caven Bobcat Chunk bait and the Hiawatha Valley Baits. For urines I use Russ Carmen coyote and red fox Pro Mix exclusively. I also try for some eye appeal as well - one of the tricks is to move away from the set and look at it from the level of the coyote/fox to see if you can see it. I don't have any trouble with trap thieves so I don't try to make my sets invisible.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Damn nice. It looks like you're having a good season so far! My trapline is out, but nothing as of yet. I want a really exceptional big coyote this year so I can have a rug done.

I really liked those photos.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgive me, I was raised in the city...

Is that a badger in the thrid pic?

IC B2

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep, that's a badger... Very big, very p1ssed off badger. He was only caught by two toes and was not happy about the situation when I arrived. One of the few times I've been pretty concerned for my own safety when dispatching an animal.

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks - How many traps are you running? Do you catch any lynx, marten, or wolf?? I'd love to be able to run a line up there - you're a lucky man.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
ranger1,

We actually got our first animal yesterday and that was a marten. First animal of the year.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Looks like either a scent post or flat set?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did you dig the Badger out? I never had a Badger above ground. Usually great mounds of earth and the Badger underground usually straight down as deep as the chain would let it dig.

I ran traps at night and often set in the middle of the pasture roads where I was trapping. A badger was big-g-g-g trouble. Usually a major road re-build to keep the rancher happy!

LocoCoyote

IC B3

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did you dig the Badger our? I never had on above ground. Usually great mounds of earth and the Badger underground usually straight down as dee as the chain would let it dig.

I ran traps at night and often set in the middle of the pasture roads where I was trapping. A badger was big-g-g-g trouble. Usually a major road re-build to keep the rancher happy!

LocoCoyote

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did you have to dig the Badger out? Every Badger I ever caught meant huge mounds of excavated dirt, and the Badger buried underground just as deep as the trap chain would let it dig.

I ran traps at night and often set in the middle of range and pasture roads (behind locked gates of course) which resulted in a major road re-build every time I caught one to keep the Rancher or Land Owner happy. Sometimes hours were involved and did not make for a happy trapper who was always on short time.

Badgers were always an accident; greasy and hard to skin, and not much value. I never caught a fur badger which did bring good prices; I have seen them at the fur auctions, but mine were always hair badgers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful animals. I have never seen a badger in person. Pretty critter.

WAR EAGLE!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

561 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,880
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.