Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I am inclined to like the GMX, but only from seeing it shot at gelatin. No real World experience to base it on. The one comment I would make is the fact they used very stiff gelatin to catch the bullet and the metal looked "softer" than an X. It was significantly more rounded and "mushed" than an X. No idea what that might mean on game though.

Not much of a bullet test, but your kid killed a coyote with one...

7WSM, 139GMX, and the 'yote was impressed.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
impressed, depressed, supressed, repressed... Seems to have developed a large desire to vent from the story he told me. wink

Which of course gave him direction in not supressing the depature of my pack... frown

Thinking I oughta yank the crooked 300SAUM barrel off this Seven and turn it into a 7WSM... Would that mean it was a 7and7?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, reading this thread leaves me thinking I ought try some monos for sure. Guess dad and gramps were lucky all those heart-shot deer and elk didn't know they'd been hit by cup-n-cores or they'd probubly plum exploaded - like they'd been shoulder shot. OT smirk

Last edited by oregontripper; 10/18/11.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Guess dad and gramps were lucky all those heart-shot deer and elk didn't know they'd been hit by cup-n-cores or they'd probubly plum exploaded - like they'd been shoulder shot. OT smirk

Now there ya go. That is the trick. Do not let the game know that you using a nonpremium bullet and they will just tip over every time, dead as rock. But let a scrawny whitetail fawn know that you just shot it with a core-lok and the damn thing will never die!

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Flinch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Brent, did you shoot that steer in your avitar? LOL laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Flinch, do you not understand SSS? wink

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
impressed, depressed, supressed, repressed... Seems to have developed a large desire to vent from the story he told me. wink

Which of course gave him direction in not supressing the depature of my pack... frown

Thinking I oughta yank the crooked 300SAUM barrel off this Seven and turn it into a 7WSM... Would that mean it was a 7and7?

Yeah... the pack was a bit of a bummer. I like the 7&7 idea, but that probably won't surprise you.

Flinch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess not. I like to shoot, supper and sleep (SSS) laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, so I know this is an old thread, but I'm an old guy! GPD hunts are rare and far between. Use a good bullet!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If I shoot a deer with a superslick moly-coated fmj out of a fast-twist 22-250AI, will the bullet still be spinning in the deer when I walk up to it? Will I be able to hear it? How long should I wait before I gut it---just til I can't hear it spinning? What does it sound like? Anybody know? What if the bullet hangs up in the deer and the deer starts spinning? I've seen deer thrashing around on the ground, is that from what I now think it might be?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I haven't shot anything with the Barnes X, but I loaded up some 130 gr. GMXs in the .270 WCF last year and saw the terminal effects on two whitetails. There was CONSIDERABLE bloodshot meat associated with both deer. Granted I thought the GMX was quite "soft" compared to the stories that I have heard about the TSX. Impact velocities should have been around 2880 FPS and 2250 FPS for the two deer and the wound cavity and blood-shot area was considerable in both.

I have attached two photos for reference. This was a small (70 lb.) whitetail that was my friend's first big game harvest. I loaned him the rifle and ammo. He shot it one time with the 130 gr. GMX (~3,000 FPS muzzle) as the deer was standing about 60 yards away. The first pic is the entrance and the second pic is the exit.

Entrance:
[Linked Image]

Exit:
[Linked Image]

I agree with BrentD---there are too many variables to generalize about the performance of any given bullet.

Last edited by Sainte_Terrer; 05/11/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
??? You're using one example to draw your conclusion? Generally (most of the time, more often than not, etc), monolithics do less damage in terms of blood-shot pockets of meat. Sure there are variances from that. But overall, compared to most every cored bullet I've seen in use, a monolithic tends to cut a deep, narrow hole and does not very often exhibit heavy, bloody, jellied areas like is typical of cored bullets. I have long wondered why this is, but a shot into heavy bone with virtually no blood in the meat happens frequently enough to suggest that it isn't an anomoly - though that doesn't help explain why. Of course, more speed generally means more tissue damage regardless the bullet material.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No, I'm using one example to disprove a conclusion. In science, that is perfectly acceptable, whereas the opposite (using a single example to make a conclusion) is not. Maybe there is a general tendency, but to say that monolithics don't create blood-shot meat is silly.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is the 2nd deer taken with the GMX's last year. My father experienced a bit of "ground shrinkage" here but he ate well just the same. Shot distance was about 440 yards. I don't have any pictures of the internal cavity, but you can see the exit wound. Again, blood-shot meat was prevalent.

[Linked Image]

Don't take me wrong though---I LIKE homogenous bullets, but I don't think that they are some miracle pill. Massive expansion/fragmentation is going to create blood-shot meat---whether it is homogenous, heterogeneous or composed of kryptonite.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sainte_Terrer
.... to say that monolithics don't create blood-shot meat is silly.

To say they never do, yes, not to generalize however. I have other issues a lot bigger with some of the monos than that they occasionally create destruction similar to cored bullets. I don't mind if they do "too much" now and then; I do mind when they tend the other way however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A slight navigatsnal air.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I want some surrounding tissue damage out of the bullets I use.

Penciling thru ain't always a good thing for obvious reasons...

Exactly!

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, I'm using one example to disprove a conclusion. In science, that is perfectly acceptable, whereas the opposite (using a single example to make a conclusion) is not. Maybe there is a general tendency, but to say that monolithics don't create blood-shot meat is silly.

I've never used a Barnes. But my hunting pard loves them. On one particular hunt, he took a large doe with a 270wsm at short range, hit bone. I helped dress it out, the whole front end was a mess. I didn't take photo's, wish I had. I believe its a combination of medium, energy, and velocity that causes blood shot meat. YMMV.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AJD

I've never used a Barnes. But my hunting pard loves them. On one particular hunt, he took a large doe with a 270wsm at short range, hit bone. I helped dress it out, the whole front end was a mess. I didn't take photo's, wish I had. I believe its a combination of medium, energy, and velocity that causes blood shot meat. YMMV.

Correct....velocity!Plus expansion, of course. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Barnes is today's magic bullet. It does everything right.

No meat damage.
Super accurate
Never fouls your barrel
Never fails.

Only problem is I've been around those who use them and have seen them come up short on all of the above.

Not saying they don't have their place, just pointing out that they have their problems as well.

JM

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

522 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,232
Posts18,447,753
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.