Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you. I cannot humbly thank you enough in any other way, than to simply say it. From the depths of my heart - THANK YOU!

There are those who deserve mention here - John (Seafire) and Matt Yore (MYore). John suggested the project, back when I logged on here asking for information on the 35 Whelen. Matt Yore of Sawtooth Rifles did all of the gunsmithing work, including the barrel machining, fitting, stock fitting and even Cerakoting the barrel and action. And there are countless others who sent monetary donations, and even loading dies, bullets, right down to my chosen optic! To all of you - I cannot ever possibly thank you enough, except to say I will enthusiastically "pass it on", and I will do so perpetually.

I must digress here a bit - I logged on to this forum on the advice of a friend, based on his assertation that there are a lot of 35 Whelen afficionados here. I don't know where they are, save one or two. He must have been setting me up. All of the initial project movers kept trying to seduce me to another cartridge. wink No worries John and Matt - I know it was all in jest.

And there were a few other Whelen guys out there too, who also contributed a bit more quietly. And FWIW - those Barnes 225 gr. TSX bullets have given me the best group thus far - .7" at 100 yards, with loads developed only with an educated guess!

Now for the sad news - I just got home from a week+ camping trip. I did get to fire the New Whelen. (See mention above) I chose a bad time to contract Broncchitis, Asthma and an upper respiratoratory tract infection all at once though. I went to the ER this morning, after my wife drove us back from Tok to Wasilla almost entirely by herself, and towing a trailer for the first time. I just knew there was a reason I married her almost 17 years ago! cool

So I've never been much of a shutter bug, and I made a serious mistake in ensuring I had good batteries in my camera for the range session. I was already under the weather though, and spent most of my time helping Timothy sight in his new 7mm-08 for our black bear trip in a couple days (providing I'm well enough!)

I will say though, that there were a couple of genuine sub-MOA groups fired with my hand-loads from my new, very much cherrished .35 Whelen. The 225 gr. Barnes TSX went into a .75" 3-shot group, from a seated, "rested" position. (I shoot my groups using whatever I might have available in the hunting field.) The second sub-MOA group was from some 250 gr. Nosler Partitions, also hand-loads. I don't think you can get any more "minute of bear" than that!

The LOP with the Boyd's stock is perfect, and I love the personal touches on the scope. Even the weight of the rifle is perfect - It barely feels heavier than my Marlin 30-06. Matt Yore of Sawtooth Rifles gave it the addition that will make it an Heirloom rifle - Cerakoting to last a lifetime.

Here are a few pics from back home. I am feeling better after the hospital drugged me up, and can't think of any better way to spend my time. ;-)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Awesome looking gun! Thanks for your service sir

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, that's a goodun!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Beautiful rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boy that's one pretty rifle. I hope it gives you half as much pleasure as it has already given to me. I was more than pleased to be able to participate in a small way, on this most worthy project.
Thanks for all you do for us, Matt. God Bless laugh

Sam......

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Matt, Sorry to hear about the lung stuff. Have anything to do with where you've been lately? Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of your time there and get out for the bear hunt.

So you're saying I have have a problem with my loading techniques or just cant shoot worth a...? Both? I knew something was fishy when the remington express factory load gave me the best results. I'm really glad it is performing up to expectations now. I'm plumb tickled with .75 MOA with this one. Not to downplay the project at all, but it obviously wasn't built with the same components the benchrest shooters are using. That is actually about as light of a barrel as you would want to go with a .35 cal hole through it, at least that is what a couple well known barrel makers told me.

I'll be putting together a Whelen for myself as soon as I can sneak one on the lathe. I have a couple paying jobs with deadlines already and the Vet #2 build in the works, and really it would be good if I never had time to get to a personal build I guess.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great story all the way around.

"And FWIW - those Barnes 225 gr. TSX bullets have given me the best group thus far - .7" at 100 yards, with loads developed only with an educated guess!"

And I told you so. Watch what happens when the moose takes one.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Beautiful rifle for a deserving man!

Thank you again for your service.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Most would be amazed at the extent of the generosity that permeates our membership.

It truly would amaze you.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yepper some really great folks here..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Veddy cool! cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great rifle and I love the caliber!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Great thread and pictures, Matt. It's been a pretty awesome experience for all of us who helped in any way on this project for a very deserving fellow.
I too am a 35 Whelen guy, as are alot of people who never say much about it. I have ranging dots in my scope and have used it to make a 1-shot kill on an elk at 418 yards--- everything was right and it was no problem. Other cartridges do this and that better and worse, while the Whelen just comes to work and gets the job done. I'll always have at least one, and if I had to go to one rifle for everything, I would hope I had the sense to grab the Whelen.
Good luck to you on your illness, and my sympathies to your wife for having to tow a trailer for the first time, under duress.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MYore
Matt, Sorry to hear about the lung stuff. Have anything to do with where you've been lately? Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of your time there and get out for the bear hunt.

So you're saying I have have a problem with my loading techniques or just cant shoot worth a...? Both? I knew something was fishy when the remington express factory load gave me the best results. I'm really glad it is performing up to expectations now. I'm plumb tickled with .75 MOA with this one. Not to downplay the project at all, but it obviously wasn't built with the same components the benchrest shooters are using. That is actually about as light of a barrel as you would want to go with a .35 cal hole through it, at least that is what a couple well known barrel makers told me.

I'll be putting together a Whelen for myself as soon as I can sneak one on the lathe. I have a couple paying jobs with deadlines already and the Vet #2 build in the works, and really it would be good if I never had time to get to a personal build I guess.

Well, you must have done something right, it's truly a shooter! No slight to either your loading or shooting abilities - I used a tip from one of the other fire members and seated the TSXs deep - he told me they like to jump and he was right. They gave me a three shot .7" group, and the 250 gr. partitions were at .89". It seems to like loads closer to max too, as both of my best groups were the hottest loads I put together. I won't have time to get out to the range again before the bear hunt, but I already have loads which are plenty accurate for now. I'll be spending the next 5 months doing some "keyboard loading" for it and collecting a couple more powders, etc. Here's a pic of my campsite loading bench in Fairbanks:

[Linked Image]

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by EdM
Great story all the way around.

"And FWIW - those Barnes 225 gr. TSX bullets have given me the best group thus far - .7" at 100 yards, with loads developed only with an educated guess!"

And I told you so. Watch what happens when the moose takes one.

I'm guessing it will be DRT as long as I do my part! wink

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Outstanding!!! And a big thank you!!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You have a pretty nice view from your "loading bench". The simple stuff has its purpose at times.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Who donated the dog???
Thanks for your service
Enjoy the rifle
Post animal pics

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Matt - indeed! I've had that Lee hand press for almost 20 years, and I'll never get rid of it. I take it to the range, on camping trips - there's just something to be said for having the ability to load on the go without needing a bench mounted press.

TBREW401 - The dog is Jenna - a Pitt Bull/Rotweiller/Lab mix. She was a freebie from Craigslist 5 years ago, a reward for my son for an accomplishment. She has been a great family dog, and at almost 100 lbs, she's perfect for Timothy. He plays as rough as he wants with her, that way he is gentle with his four younger sisters.

It is my pleasure and my honor to serve, and you can rest assured I will absolutely post pictures of any animals that succumb to the Keena family rifles!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Great thread and pictures, Matt. It's been a pretty awesome experience for all of us who helped in any way on this project for a very deserving fellow.
I too am a 35 Whelen guy, as are alot of people who never say much about it. I have ranging dots in my scope and have used it to make a 1-shot kill on an elk at 418 yards--- everything was right and it was no problem. Other cartridges do this and that better and worse, while the Whelen just comes to work and gets the job done. I'll always have at least one, and if I had to go to one rifle for everything, I would hope I had the sense to grab the Whelen.
Good luck to you on your illness, and my sympathies to your wife for having to tow a trailer for the first time, under duress.

Those and more are the reasons I chose the 35 Whelen. Unless for some strange reason the bullet manufacturers stop making .358 bullets, there will always be components, as 30-06 brass is simple to neck up. It has enough smack for anything that walks the land, at least in North America. And heck - I just like it! I've read some about COL Whelen, and I like his views. I just named my 2.5 month old husky/black lab pup "Whelen". He'll be getting trained as a bird dog when I finish my tour.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.