Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking about buying a mid-sized utility ATV, and I think I have narrowed my choices to the Yamaha Grizzly 450 and Honda Rancher. Both models that I'm interested in are 4WD, auto transmission and electric power steering.

Yamaha has a decent video on YouTube comparing the two, and according to their video, the Grizzly has a "true" automatic CVT, front AND rear diff lock 4WD, more ground clearance, better towing capacity, etc.

However, I believe the Honda has shaft drive and EFI, which I sort of like for some reason. In my mind, at least, I would also give Honda the edge in reliability.

There are two separate dealers located near me, and each has a pretty good reputation, and so that is pretty much a wash.

Any toughts on these two ATVs, especially from those with experience?

Thanks.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 05/18/12.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have owned honda's since the 60's, and have a big red in the back yard and a Gold Wing in the garage, and a honda accord. I love honda. Having said that, i bought a yamaha grizzley 750 a few years ago, and feel i made the right decision, sort of. Having to due it again, i probably would have settled with the 450 grizzley. The 750 is a screamer, which comes at the cost of higher gas usage, and power that mostly you don't need. The power steering, independent full suspension, lockers front and back, engine break, disc brakes and so on make it really good to drive. I rarely use the low on the transmission, and don't need the brakes much really as the engine brake slows it down, Highly recommend it. I looked at all the brands before purchasing and am glad i did the yamaha. Only thing i would complain about is most of these bikes regardless of the manufacture come with crud tires, which need to be replaced at some point.
Mostly when i am using the grizz, i just push the button on 4x4 in and out and thats it. I am firmly convinced it would climb a tree. Look at some of the youtube video on grizzley's and you can see what they do.
more than once out with others, i have had other riders want to exchange rides, seeing how my grizz goes through the forest without killing me in the process. Very comfortable to ride.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/18/12.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your into mud riding, you might want to consider the Grizzly with the diff lock, otherwise i'd go with the Rancher AT with IRS, EPS, and Traxlox. The wife has one, it was a good trail machine until I did a gear change on it, now she can play in the mud whenever she wants too. The problem I found with the Rancher is that it is geared for trail riding and is geared way too high for slow, mud crawling or water crossings. With the gear change it turned it into an entirely different beast.

My next wheeler is probably going to be a 700 Grizzly since Honda doesn't want to build a Foreman with IRS.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 2007 Honda Rubicon that has the auto transmission and 4x4. The only gripe I've got against it is that sometimes it's difficult to get it into the right gear when I need it. Sometimes it has to be rocked back and forth a little. Sounds weird, but that's how it works.

Such as,..there's been a couple of times I've gone down this cow trail where I hunt. Both sides are extremely steep and the edges are washed out. Ususally if I'm careful I can creep down it without any problem, but if it's wet, all bets are off. Twice I've been creeping down it and the tire slips off the edge of travel and myself and the atv have been on the edge of impending doom.

At that time,..I'm doing a balancing act that would make a circus performer proud. I've got every brake handle I can reach pressed to the max to keep from going further forward. I need reverse and I need it NOW. I need it positive and I need it NOW. Sometimes my Honda doesn't always comply.

That's the only gripe I've got. I wish I would have looked at Yamaha before I bought the Honda. Don't know if it would have been any different but I should have checked them out.

Other than that, the Honda is boringly dependable.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an 11 year old Honda 500 that has been thru the grinder constantly since I've owned it. Beat all to heck but runs like a top and just keeps on keepin on.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yamaha is far advanced to Honda when it comes to the extras. Engine is probably equal, but the ride is better on a Yamaha can get power steering, for some areas that is great. No Hondas for me.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only thing Yamaha has that Honda doesn't is the diff lock. Yamaha's use a belt in the drive system while Honda is shaft driven, much more dependable than a belt drive IMO. I think both manufacturers offer solid machines, you just have to decide which one works best for the type of riding you do.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both are good machines, I have a 2010 rancher ES (not rear IFS). My only beef with the Rancher is the new EFI engine is a gas hog compared with my carbed 07 Foreman, but it is snappy smile.

The Honda rancher does lack a locking front diff, but it's a pretty bullet proof machine and transmission. My 07 Foreman has 1900 miles on it, one battery and a shift sensor is all I have replaced, and I plow with it all winter.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
The only thing Yamaha has that Honda doesn't is the diff lock. Yamaha's use a belt in the drive system while Honda is shaft driven, much more dependable than a belt drive IMO. I think both manufacturers offer solid machines, you just have to decide which one works best for the type of riding you do.

Thanks for all of the replies. The shaft drive and my own perception of Honda's reliability are about the best arguments for the Honda, at least in my mind. Without having a lot of experience with ATVs, is the shaft vs. belt a REAL issue, or is it more of a theoretical advantage? In other words, do belt drives fail much more often than shafts in the real world?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO, I believe you get more power to the ground with a shaft drive compared to a belt drive but honestly, I don't think it's really that much of an issue. Only thing I worry about on belt drives is the belt getting wet as I travel through a good number of creeks and rivers up here.

If you don't do a lot of mud riding the RancherAT should be perfect for what you do, it's a comfy riding machine and has real snap when you hit the throttle. Fuel injection is the only way to go too, carbs can get finicky at times, especially in cold weather. Mine has carb heat on it so I don't too much of a problem but I much prefer the EFI.

Steelhead

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've had both Yamaha and Honda. You really can't go wrong with either one.

The Yamaha has shaft drive as well. The Yamaha will be more 'trail friendly'. Both will be work horses, the Yam has a bigger motor and will just as well for work type stuff. If you need an EFI there is only one option between the bikes listed. I have had one EFI machine and it wasn't as cracked up to be as they made it sound.

That said, I now have a honda foreman 450 but bought it because of the deal. I'd trade it for a Yamaha Grizz 450 in a second if I had the $ for the Griz.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I don't think Yamaha is a belt drive to the wheels.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Both machines are shaft drive. Shaft drive just means that's how they drive the rear wheels from the transmission, pretty much all modern ATV's are shaft drive. The difference between the two is that the yahama is a belt style CVT transmission, it's got a rubber belt that rides between two pulley's that can change diameter and that's how it adjusts the gearing. The honda is a electronically shifted dual clutch five speed automatic.

I have a 2010 honda rancher AT that the OP is talking about. I love it and haven't had a minute's problem out of it. The IRS rides like a cloud and the power steering is great. EFI is a requirement for me now, I'm done with anything that has a carburator. I highly recommend the machine.

Lots of folks have the belt style automatic transmissions since that's what every maker other than honda uses. You don't hear of many problems out of them unless they get wet. I don't like them though, I just don't like the concept of my transmission being operated by a rubber belt. It seems like cheesy engineering to me.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I looked around and bought a 2011 Rancher with all the bells and whistles. Put on the 3 year warranty due to all the electrical things that could go wrong.

Good dealer support in this area helped sell me on the Honda.

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Grizzly 660 I bought used with low milage. I plow with it and have worked it and the belt drive seems well built. It holds back on hills well. If I bought another ATV I would want EFI. No warmup needed with EFI and that's a plus hunting and If you plow IMHO. Ground clearence is a bit over rated. They all have enough and they all have skid plates (plastic or other material) because they all know sooner or later you will bottom out. A lower center of gravity in hill country will get you more places. There are places around here I'd take a Honda I won't take my Yamaha.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 05/18/12.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

I don't think Yamaha is a belt drive to the wheels.

No, your right, it isn't belt drive to the wheels, that's why I said it uses a belt driven system. Blow the blet and your dead in the water, only way you kill the Honda is by shearing or breaking the shaft. But I wouldn't let the belt thing drive my decision either way.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After doing some more Internet reading, it looks like both machines get pretty favorable reviews overall. One thing I've seen mentioned a few times though, even in professionally written reviews, is that the Honda AT can be finicky (hunting for the right gear), and it sometimes has issues getting into reverse.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Honda AT issues? Are these annoyances or something that can become a real problem down the road? My understanding is that the Honda AT now being used is a relatively new design.

Also, bump for evening crowd opinions. grin

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
BTT

Need to hear more guys. I have a 1996 Yamaha Kodiack, one of the old ones that is all time 4WD, takes a football field to turn around in. It was even caught in the 2009 flood and sat underwater for 3 solid months. And it still runs good, just time for a new one. For my needs I need all the ground clearance I can get (for the sloughs I have to cross) and the quietiest machine made. I have a jacked up golf cart I use when the water is down, and it's a go getter, but useless when the water is up.

So I'm leaning towards another Yamaha.
So I'm watching this thread with great enthusiam.

Doug

Last edited by DouginLa; 05/19/12.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I know you didn't ask, but you might want to check out a Polaris Sportsman.

I went from Yamaha to Polaris and never looked back. I have never tried a Honda, but I think Polaris has everything you're looking for and then some.

Didn't mean to complicate your decision, just sharing my experience.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had 3 Yamahas (Big Bear, Kodiak, and now a Grizzly 700) - loved 'em all. I prefer them to all of the others - have Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda and Polaris dealers close, and cost was not an issue for me in the decision between 'em. Have friends that have/have had all of the others - only ones that I've seen too many issues with were Polaris. That was 10+yrs ago, but none of 'em will go back so no experience with the newer ones.

Never had a problem with the belt on the Kodiak or Grizzly. I had the Kodiak in fairly deep mud/water a few times. I buy 'em for hunting, not for mudding, etc., so I don't go looking for the stuff. If I did, I'd look into "snorkels" for the transmission "vent tube".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
163 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.