Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Remington - banking on pressure for consistancy but sacrificing all with sloppy tupperware.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
I own over 20 rifles and the recoil from my Model 7 CDL in 300WSM is the sharpest and most uncomfortable of all my rifles. I would venture to say, this rifle has cut me at least every other time it has gone to the range with me. And I aint no sissy.
George

I swapped out the tupperware on my M7 7mmSAUM for a CDL take-off with tge Supercell pad and found it to improve things quite a bit. It fits me so much better, much like a Mountain Rifle handle on a 700. A bit thicker comb, a cheekpiece, and a soft pad help me out a bunch.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Seven tupperware stock (especially, the original walnut is somewhat better) is at odds with the design intent. The CDL stock is better, but still butt heavy with too low of a comb for true scope work.

Put into a Mickey Compact, or better yet a Brown KS, and the design is delightful. Once again, 'form must follow function,' and Remington rarely gets that correct.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
All 3 of my 7's wear McMillans...

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
My son has a Model 7 S/S, .308 and the factory stock was a bit floppy so I put it in an HS Precision stock with the aluminum bedding block and now the thing is a real tack driver. I don't know if the current production models are the same but on my son's rifle there is only one hole drilled and tapped in the rear receiver ring so it requires a one piece bridge-type scope mount where the 700 doesn't.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington started to d&t 2 holes in the rear receiver bridge of the Model Seven some time ago to facilitate the use of 2-piece bases, but I'm not sure what year that happened. The 2 holes on the rear receiver bridge on the Model Seven are much closer together than those on the rear receiver bridge of a Model 700, so a rear base that is specific to the Model Seven is required.

Jeff

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
I own over 20 rifles and the recoil from my Model 7 CDL in 300WSM is the sharpest and most uncomfortable of all my rifles. I would venture to say, this rifle has cut me at least every other time it has gone to the range with me. And I aint no sissy.
George
.............Scope whacked with cuts every other time? Maybe you should consider a scope with a little more eye relief. 300 WSM shorties are a bunch of fun.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks almost like you could open up the receiver of a short 700 and be close to the Model 7 in weight with better functioning.

There would still be enough rear bridge for two piece scope mounting bases.

Action cut plus light weight basis you could be very close to the same weight.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I seldom if ever see Remington Model Sevens for sale, new or
used. I see more Remington 600s than I do Model Sevens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to find aluminum bottom metal for my Seven SS 260. The pot metal just don't do anything for me and it adds too much unnecessary weight compared to aluminum.
Anyone heard of someone making the bottom in aluminum?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
For whatever reason it doesn't fit me. Seems awkard & short. Maybe it's just personal ergonomics but the 700s fit me like a glove,...

I'm inclined to agree...Ive got them both, and prefer the 700...cant really say why, but I do. The M7 stocks don't do much for me, just replaced one with a B&C Alaskan and that was a definite improvement...

Agreed.

I've had three Model Sevens. When introduced, they sounded perfect. But after spending some time with them, they just had a "feel" that was hard to describe, but just not quite there, for me at least.

I went so far as to buy a Brown Precision for one, but after losing interest in the rifle, it never got put on. Recently decided that since I no longer have any of the Sevens, it was time to sell the stock. Ya think I can find it? Nope. I somehow lost a danged Brown Precision stock. eek Found a few factory tupperwares while searching though. I'd much rather have lost all of them, in exchange for finding the one kevlar stock.... crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just happen to have my M7 broken down in preparation to sending it to Redneck for a barrel install. (Sorry, Lee. Work isn't giving me much time for getting it in the mail-soon though)

When taking the scope, rings and stock off I weighed things as I went. Partly so that I could compare the before and after weights and partly just out of curiosity. The weight of a M7 vs. a M700 action was mentioned earlier. Here's what my 20" barreled M7 7-08 weighs-

No ammo, no sling-just scoped rifle- [Linked Image]

Barreled action only-
[Linked Image]

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
Looks almost like you could open up the receiver of a short 700 and be close to the Model 7 in weight with better functioning.

There would still be enough rear bridge for two piece scope mounting bases.

Action cut plus light weight basis you could be very close to the same weight.

What better functioning are you looking for? The Seven functions as fine as any Remington bolt, as is. It already has enough room for a two-piece base. The current models for the last few years have been drilled with four holes instead of three already.

The only drawback to the Seven are the poor factory stocks.

As a small side note--the followers actually are slightly different between the 700 and Seven, though either will swap with the other. The Seven has a little tab that holds the empty follower down below the level of the receiver rails, which makes the bolt slide very slickly when empty since it does not drag on the follower. The old Sportsman 78 had this same type of lowered follower.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

613 members (10Glocks, 204guy, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,261
Posts18,448,186
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.