-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Suzuki. http://nyrocatv.com/ ( my name is dead nuts on)

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
I'm leaning more and more toward the Grizzly 450 over the Honda Rancher 420AT. The more I read on the 'net, the more it looks like the Honda's new twin clutch automobile-style transmission is prone to problems. Even if the problems are actually few and far bewteen, I've read several comments that they are extremely expensive to repair/replace.

From what I've read, if the new AT on the Honda craps out, you are looking at a new tranny. Someone was quoted $2,900 for a replacement. crazy It seems like even a lot of guys on Honda forums are recommending the manual trans just to be safe.

I'm sure every brand throws out a lemon now and then, but it appears that the Yamaha CVT is tried-and-true and is serviceable if something does go awry.

This will be my first ATV. I'm sure my wife, 13 year-old son and nine year-old daughter will want to take it for a spin at some point. I tried teaching my wife how to drive a manual transmission car years ago, and it was a disaster. I think I really want the AT, and from what I've been reading, the Honda AT makes me nervous.
!!! 911!!! u need to find a old copy of "dirt wheels magazine" and u will toss the honda "AT" out the window...in there test it "shifted gears" on hard turn shocked ...throw that pos away.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In 3 years worth of riding, the wife has not had a single issue with her RancherAT other than it was geared for trail riding and not riding in the mud.

It's just like anything else, you build enough of them and your going to have a few lemons. Look at the new Polaris and Arctic Cat sleds, they are perfect examples of this.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My Grizzly 660 had a receiver hitch on the back when I bought it. I have different ball mounts for it. One is with a ball to pull my trailer, one with a clevis in it to pull/drag things, and one with a long drop to pull spreaders and other lawn equipment. I've got a rack that works on the hitch and I can put a deer on it or haul things around when working. I have used my winch for several things but so far haven't been stuck. I got the winch initially to raise my plow. I put an Amsteel synthetic rope on my winch and bought a plow rope for use in the winter so I don't wear out my winch line.

I keep my ATV in this trailer.
[Linked Image]

With my plow on it.
[Linked Image]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Made my choice, I'm getting the 700 grizzly with a 3000lb warn winch and a few extras including some 28" mudtires. It's new but a 2011 model that the dealer has, and making me a heck of a deal on, including a new 6 1/2' X 12' trailer he also sells. He's giving me the trailer at his cost. He's a small dealer 30 miles from me so I guess his "overhead" is less. Less by over $2000. Plus the other dealers were quoting the price on a 550 griz.

Pays to shop around.

Doug

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yea me too. My Honda is not as fancy or fast as my friends Polaris or my other friends Suzuki but it cranks all the time, and does what I need it to do.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
How much snow in WV necissatates a plow? grin

Camp is where you make it.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Yeah, it's a 3 speed which is why I guess they set them up sacrificing the low end. Just mentioned it because it's really the only Honda apples to apples comparison to the 700 Griz.

I had a Rincon for several years and liked it, other than the fact that the gear ratios and torque converter caused it to not engine brake very well going down steep inclines. On the other hand, that 3 speed auto is probably the most bullet proof auto tranny of all the ATV's or side by sides.

Funny thing is, they use the same engine and transmission on my Big Red but they set the gears up for better lower end. By doing so, it's obviously no where as fast, but it's stronger on the low end.

The plus on the Rincon though, is that is one smooth riding ATV with the IRS.

Problem with the Rincon is it's not a twin cylinder. It is fast as long as you aren't loaded down. Most other bikes over 600cc's will be twin cylinder. That's where the torque comes from. My buddy's Rincon is a really nice fast and comfortable riding bike. Put some bigger tires on it and it's a dog in the mud. The 500 Foreman has more torque. Some of that due to gearing. And it is a 3 speed. I've personally seen a decked out Rincon stuck in the mud not able to spin the bigger tires while a small 450 or 500 bike would blast past it due to better gearing and torque. My next bike will be a 550 Griz with EFI and power steering.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,811 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.