24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm getting a little more serious about buying a new truck lately, so I'm looking for information on the new 2012 GMC 1500 and 2500 series trucks. I could manage with the 5.3 engine, but I'd like to check out a 6.2 as well.

GB2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Tackdriver22250
I'm getting a little more serious about buying a new truck lately, so I'm looking for information on the new 2012 GMC 1500 and 2500 series trucks. I could manage with the 5.3 engine, but I'd like to check out a 6.2 as well.

Do a google search for "5.3 liter oil consumption" and you will probably reconsider that as an option. There is also a thread about this very problem near the bottom of the first page.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/

I have a 2500hd with 6.6L duramax engine. No issues yet. Always runs good. Expensive oil changes and transfer cases need a $75 fix.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hi Tackdriver.

I'm fairly active on this GM Forum and have always found the guys to be enormously helpful.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3

I've driven 5.3s since they've been out, and the 5.7 before that, and the 350 before that AND THE GLORIOUS 327 BEFORE THAT (I am indeed an old fart grin). And, of course, I just had to have a 2006 Duramax LBZ.

In truth, my current rig is by far the finest truck I've ever owned. It's a 2010 Silverado, Crew Cab/Short Bed, 5.3/3.42 Z-71 with the incredible 6L80E six-speed tranny. I bought her brand-new, for spot cash, and in the LTZ dress-grade, which is gorgeous, leather all around and literally every option. Yup, a $49,000 half-ton truck and it got T-Boned and totalled tomorrow, that is exactly the truck I would buy again, except it would be the current year, of course.

I prefer to buy my trucks brand-new, so I'm not buying another person's problem. And a one or two year old used truck scares me. Who sells a new truck in a year, unless there is a HUGE problem. Other folks have differing opinions, I guess, but I buy new and I only buy a truck when I can pay for it ... no financing, no bullshit .... just save my money and buy what I want, when I want it.

So many folks hate Obama (me too) and the auto industry and what-all that they'd rather live in spite, rather than enjoy a fantastic truck. And in truth, it's easier to posture & bitch on the Internet that it is to go out and pay cash for a brand-new truck. In my opinion, the GMT-900 truck is absolutely the best-of-breed.

Much has been made of the problems with the Displacement-on-Demand, but the statistics are counter the rumor. Truly, you can buy a 5.3 without fear of a problem. By the way, the 6.2 is really cool, but it requires premium fuel to run properly and most guys who buy one eventually drift back to the 5.3. The 6.2 is supposed to give equal fuel-mileage to the 5.3, or close to it. If you want the extra zip, over 400 hp, that is cool; and it gives hauling/towing in a HEAVY HALF TON that no other truck offers.

Anyway, I absolutely love my Chevy Silverado 5.3 liter and consider it the finest truck I've every drive and/or owned. By the way, the 5.3 actually gives me much better fuel mileage than my Duramax did and the fuel is like $1.25 gal less. The 5.3 liter gives me all the power I need and it pulls my 28-foot trailer very, very well.

Interestingly, the 6L80E six-speed transmission is actually smoother and even more intuitive than the Allison 1000. The six-gears efficiently keeps the 5.3 liter engine right in the middle of the "power band" at all times. The 6L80E, plus csome computer magic really woke up the 5.3 engine.

Good luck in your search.

God Bless You,

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a180/dogzapper/P1020161.jpg[/img]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post, dogzapper. I've run three 5.3's, one an '08 with Displacement on Demend which had 145k on it when I traded it. NONE of them ever burned any oil. I am currently running a '11 6.2 w/ the MAX trailering package and 3.73's. All my pickups in the last 20 years have had 3.73's. I love that 6.2!! The calculated mileage difference between my 6.2 and the '08 5.3 comes to 0.7 mpg less with the 6.2. For the substantial increase in horsepower with the 6.2, I can live with 0.7 mpg less fuel economy. BTW, I've only used regular unleaded 10% ethanol in my 6.2 since new. Didn't know they will run better yet on premium! I'll have to ask the dealer about that.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Friend Mudstud,

YES, the 6.2 will run stronger with premium.

I apologize for being a little harsh on the NTH Package, I was up at 3AM with spine pain. I rewrote the post slightly to relate my true thoughts.

You have one hell of a truck, my friend. As do I.

We truly live in the Golden Age of GM trucks.

Blesssings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mudstud, what kind of mileage are you getting with your 6.2? Is there anything you don't like about it? Thanks

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good stuff. Looks like the 6.2's are hard to find on lots around here. Stopped by 2 different places with maybe 30 trucks total, and none had them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, dogzapper, I believe you. My daughter drives an '09 Pontiac G8 GT, which has a 361hp 6.0. This engine runs fine on regular unleaded, but you lose about 5hp, if you don't run premium. So, I am not the least bit surprised if this wouldn't apply to a 403hp 6.2 as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last Monday, I needed to drive to a town about 125 miles away from where I live. Now, mind you, I live in the middle of an oil boom. So, I had to drive 5+ miles through very heavy city traffic, then once out of town, I drove mainly on two-lane highways, with a lot of hills and curves and very heavy truck traffic. I am an aggressive driver, and I do not tolerate trucks in my way very well! So there was a lot of when you see an opening, put her to the wood, and go! I drove my 5.3's the same way. But any how, on the round trip, I averaged 16.6 mpg, which really surprised me, as there was a lot of balls to the walls driving! But, this 6.2 will get about 18 mpg highway, if you drive like a normal person! grin

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, I didn't answer the rest of your question! But, no, I can't think of anything I don't like about the 6.2. One other thing I do like, which is a function of the power increase, is it seldom shifts down on cruise going up hills and such. This is one thing often mentioned as aggravating by people that drive 5.3's.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I prefer to buy my trucks brand-new, so I'm not buying another person's problem. And a one or two year old used truck scares me. Who sells a new truck in a year, unless there is a HUGE problem.

I just did and there wasn't a dang thing wrong with the truck.

Camp is where you make it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.