Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's pretty common. Say what you will about CVA guns. The Bergara barrel is accurate.

[Linked Image]

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think their accuracy is in question....it's the other things.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Example?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by The_Mason
Has anyone ever used this type of muzzleloader? The main questions I have are how it shoots, ranges, and accuracy.

This was the initial question and the one I was answering. I don't think he was asking about CVA's. Nobody is arguing with you about yours. I stated my experience and that was in response to the initial posting. Again, some CVA's may or may not shoot as well or better than yours or a Savage or a centerfire or anything else. If you like yours, great, I'll stick with my Savage's as I like them. No, they don't have the trigger, the proof barrel, the stock options ....that the Savage has but we aren't discussing that. I have the OPTION to shoot either and I like that option. If it's legal, smokeless hands down beats the other options ALL the time not to mention it's much cleaner.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tulie
Originally Posted by The_Mason
Has anyone ever used this type of muzzleloader? The main questions I have are how it shoots, ranges, and accuracy.

This was the initial question and the one I was answering. I don't think he was asking about CVA's. Nobody is arguing with you about yours. I stated my experience and that was in response to the initial posting. Again, some CVA's may or may not shoot as well or better than yours or a Savage or a centerfire or anything else. If you like yours, great, I'll stick with my Savage's as I like them. No, they don't have the trigger, the proof barrel, the stock options ....that the Savage has but we aren't discussing that. I have the OPTION to shoot either and I like that option. If it's legal, smokeless hands down beats the other options ALL the time not to mention it's much cleaner.

I've already said I have interest in the gun. I just wasn't too impressed with your groups, and said i'd be getting a Savage for other reasons than accuracy, because if I wanted just accuracy the CVA does fine. What I posted wasn't even my gun. Many results like it can be shown like it for CVA's. They're very accurate, but can't shoot smokeless, and that's where my interest is right now.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You're not impressed by sub inch groups out of a muzzleloader? Well good for you. Guess I'm way too limited then in my experience and knowledge and obviously mine won't work for hunting big game. Guess that also applies to nearly 3/4 of all rifles out there, cause there are a lot of centerfires that barely do an inch or a lot that won't do that well that work just fine for hunting every year. Good for you, half inch groups are great out of most rifles let alone muzzleloaders. Guess just like centerfire, since each shot is a reload, I could work up more accurate loads but to me, sub inch is just fine in my limited abilities. I'll be happy with mine and the fact that I can get a lot higher velocities if I so desire.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Example?

http://cvaguncases.com/Case___Information_Page.html

Warning the pictures are gross and should not be viewed by those with a weak stomach.

http://cvaguncases.com/Photographs_Page.html

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tulie
You're not impressed by sub inch groups out of a muzzleloader? Well good for you. Guess I'm way too limited then in my experience and knowledge and obviously mine won't work for hunting big game. Guess that also applies to nearly 3/4 of all rifles out there, cause there are a lot of centerfires that barely do an inch or a lot that won't do that well that work just fine for hunting every year. Good for you, half inch groups are great out of most rifles let alone muzzleloaders. Guess just like centerfire, since each shot is a reload, I could work up more accurate loads but to me, sub inch is just fine in my limited abilities. I'll be happy with mine and the fact that I can get a lot higher velocities if I so desire.

Sorry, I misread your post. You said sub inch 3 shot groups. I read it as 3 inch groups. That wouldn't have been impressive.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Example?

http://cvaguncases.com/Case___Information_Page.html

Warning the pictures are gross and should not be viewed by those with a weak stomach.

http://cvaguncases.com/Photographs_Page.html

Old news. Do you know how many times TC has been sued? First thing that has to proved is, if it wasn't user error, or the gun. Muzzleloaders are always going to be open for users making mistakes.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As to the CVAs there was a recall on them. Barrels were shipped from Begara without being proofed is what I have heard. Further proof that there is no problem with the savage. If there was we would see the same type of action taken as CVA did.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The recalled CVA's were before they started to use Bergara barrrels. I only see one Bergara barrel on that list, and it could be someone jumping on the bandwagon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not old news...current models....Most CVAs don't have Begara barrels and they aren't proofed.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
As to the CVAs there was a recall on them. Barrels were shipped from Begara without being proofed is what I have heard. Further proof that there is no problem with the savage. If there was we would see the same type of action taken as CVA did.

INCORRECT.

The recalled guns were made in 1995 and 1996. 96-97% of them have been recovered.

Bergara barrels came out in the early-mid 2000's. They are of high quality steel and many gunsmiths are converting them to shoot smokeless powders " Centerfire 45-70 barrels" and have nothing but good things to say about the quality of steel while they are reworking them.

Knight, TC, and other muzzleloading companies do NOT proof test barrels either, its common practice to only test a small # from a number of runs. Germany and some other euro countries do have a policy that ALL muzzleloaders and firearms that come into the country must be sent to the proofing house and fired with 30% more powder than the rifle is listed for as a max load. Plenty of cva and traditions shooters in germany. Had a friend there who was big time into shooting cva's until he sadly passed away while on duty.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Swamp,

All the CVA inlines now have Bergara barrels. They only stamp Bergara on the Accura and Apex, because those have the final polishing. All of them are made by Berara. The same company owns CVA and Bergara. Why would they use anything else?

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 05/25/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's cheaper to use non-Bergara barrels on the bottom of the bucket models (most of them.) Only the top end models get the "good" barrels. For me it doesn't make any difference. I don't want anything made in Spain ever...period. Their Corporate misdeeds, such as marking guns with phony proof marks well into 2006 and cloning American made products which they sold at a loss to run American companies out of business are just some of the reasons I'd never buy a spanish made muzzleloader.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
a true bergara barrel has about 3 different polishing stages, thats all. It does make for a beautiful bore however.

You changing your mind again swampy? You just wanted a free apex to shoot earlier.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It does make a difference, because Bergara barrels don't blow up, and that's all CVA uses now. Isn't that what we were talking about? So, CVA's don't blow up. They're very accurate, and have one of the best triggers on any ML. They aren't overpriced either.

Why shouldn't they be the best selling ML there is? smile

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 05/25/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because most of what you just posted is false?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, i'm speaking from experience with the guns. What are you speaking from?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The same....and more than you.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.