Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
There are a few cartridges that in my experience work exceptionally well with Norma MRP. I am running low and am in a panic as it seems impossible to find. What's going on with this most excellent product??

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Norma's always had problems with distribution in America.

Reloder 22 is very similar, if not exactly the same powder. Take a look at the loading data from various sources and it's similar (given the variation in components and barrels). Then buy a pound of RL-22 and compare both powders through a magnifying glass.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've heard that about RL22. I'm a big believer in Quick Load but it however indicates that they aren't really the same at all. I have a pile of RL22 so I may give it a try even though I have come up with something that looks like near perfection with MRP. If that doesn't work out, IMR7828SSC seems to have very similar characteristics to MRP. I guess I shouldn't worry too much as the gun is good to go. It certainly should work well enough with more than just one powder.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
According to Quick Load there is one powder identical to Norma MRP and that is Vihtavuori 560.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BBerg
According to Quick Load there is one powder identical to Norma MRP and that is Vihtavuori 560.

According to this chart Vihtavouri 560 comes in at 145 but MRP and RL22 are 153 and 154 respectively.

I'm using Norma data with RL22 substituted for MRP in my 7x64 and it's working just fine.

Last edited by johnfox; 05/24/12.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had to hunt for MRP over the years since it replaced N205, but generally I can find some when I look. My big score was at a gun store going out of business sale, and I bought all they had -- and at a good price too.

As JB says, Norma has distribution problems. I have also heard from a Swedish source that some RL22 is MRP that didn't pass their quality checks. I have used RL22 in some hand loads to good effect.

Something to do when it isn't hunting season. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Reloder 22 is very similar, if not exactly the same powder. Take a look at the loading data from various sources and it's similar (given the variation in components and barrels). Then buy a pound of RL-22 and compare both powders through a magnifying glass.

Originally Posted by gabbott
I've heard that about RL22. I'm a big believer in Quick Load but it however indicates that they aren't really the same at all.

Originally Posted by BBerg

Now fellas I'm NOT BASHING you. When M D and Norma tells us that MRP & Rl22 are the same or NEARLY the same...

It seems INVERTED to me that we would believe some computer ballistic program over a 'closer' source of info... confused

As you know YOU CAN MAKE A PROGRAM TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR. shocked

As for myself, I'll believe what the range targets tell me instead of a ballistic program.

To each his own, I'll not bother you anymore.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Expensive and hard to find, but I like them.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Interesting discussion actually. The chart johnfox refers to says H414 and WW760 are different but Quick Load shows the same specs indicating they are the same - the people at Hodgdon confirm it is in fact the exact same powder packaged differently. Maybe I can get the same confirmation/refutation from Norma or Alliant. We'll see. Thanks to all for the input.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With my .300 Win out of a Ruger 77, shooting 180 gr NP's, the velocity difference between identical weights of an old lot of MRP and a much newer lot of RL-22 is running usually 25fps or less. This is about what I would expect from normal lot-to-lot variations with any powder.

I don't remember the exact charge weight, but it's around 74.0gr, well below the max shown by Alliant for a 180gr Speer Spitzer and what Norma shows for a 180gr NP or Oryx. The load reliably chronos a little above 3000fps out of my rifle. Also, both max loads shown on both Alliant for RL-22 and Norma for MRP are almost identical for similar bullets.

Like HunterJim, N205 used to be my powder of choice for that rifle.

Last edited by Skeezix; 05/25/12. Reason: correct error

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Norma n320 for reloading my 40 s&w. Super clean and "cold" burn (brass isn't hot). Great stuff.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gabbott
There are a few cartridges that in my experience work exceptionally well with Norma MRP. I am running low and am in a panic as it seems impossible to find. What's going on with this most excellent product??

Western Powders is the new Norma distributor in the US. According to Norma and Western it should be on the selves soon.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.