Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BR: Are you asking me?

If so, I don't recall ever saying they did not expand and hold together.I never even mentioned them; I discussed Partitions,not CoreLokts.Someone else mentioned corelokts after I posted on the Partitions

But as long as we're on the topic,my understanding is that Remington, quite a few years back, turned the spitzer-type CoreLokt into nothing more than a standard C&C bullet to cut costs.Johnnie B and others have mentioned this on here many times...IIRC there were expceptions and the round nose was one of them,and they are built the same as they always were. Apparently not all CoreLokts are the same.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No Bob, just a general comment for the thread.

The Best Hunting Bullet is my favorite gun article of all time. It took a lot of time and work to do that extensive test, and it applies almost universally (everybody uses 30/180 bullets at some point).

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Personally I shoot a 180 grain partition at an MV of 3200 (.308 diameter). With this I have 14 one-shot kills in a row, on animals from 100 to 800 pounds (not counting a 5500 pound hippo when I ran out of heavy rifle ammo) and ranges from 50 feet to 275 yards.

The nice part about it is I can simply ignore all other bullets and ignore trajectory as far as I care to shoot. I don't care about impact velocity. All these bullets but one have exited the animal. None have disintegrated.

Cost? It seems foolish to worry about the cost of a bullet when you consider all the other costs of a hunt.

I like the Nosler Partition too and the extra cost is negligible compared to any other expense associated to hunting. In the total it does not even figure.

Which caliber do you use ?
Do you hand-load or use factory rounds ?
Is 3200 a measured muzzle velocity ?

Thanks

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Hmmm.. I don't see a tag on that deer.

Probably poached.

Poached? The damn thing was someones pet, it's still wearing a leash! grin

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Seafire, good on ya for what you've done.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by deersmeller
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Personally I shoot a 180 grain partition at an MV of 3200 (.308 diameter). With this I have 14 one-shot kills in a row, on animals from 100 to 800 pounds (not counting a 5500 pound hippo when I ran out of heavy rifle ammo) and ranges from 50 feet to 275 yards.

The nice part about it is I can simply ignore all other bullets and ignore trajectory as far as I care to shoot. I don't care about impact velocity. All these bullets but one have exited the animal. None have disintegrated.

Cost? It seems foolish to worry about the cost of a bullet when you consider all the other costs of a hunt.

I like the Nosler Partition too and the extra cost is negligible compared to any other expense associated to hunting. In the total it does not even figure.
Which caliber do you use ?
Do you hand-load or use factory rounds ?
Is 3200 a measured muzzle velocity ?

Thanks

I don't have much money, and certainly not enough to leave home and work to go on an out of state hunt, pay a guide, tags....

I do all my hunting either on public land or on land owned by friends. My hunting costs are minimal. Gas, license,... If I can save 20 dollars on a box of bullets and get twice as many bullets, I will. I am still young. Maybe one day I will fret the costs of a guided hunting trip and then the cost of a bullet will become of less importance. But, for now, I just wanted to know what impact velocities work for what bullets, and we seem to have had a good discussion on that.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 05/28/12.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
805 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 3,199 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.