Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And where would you see the Big 5, other than elephant? Black rhino, probably, but lion are iffy in Etosha. And buffalo?

Was brought up earlier.

Afterwards, OP posted:

Originally Posted by hntr1
Alright forget I said anything about the big 5. I just thought it would be neat to see an elephant or the others and get some pics while we were hunting.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, gee!

Guess his theoretical priorities changed rapidly. My mistake.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I might add that any trip to Africa without some chance to see at least three of the Big 5 seems a little thin to me, whether while hunting or in a park.

Unless I'm hunting wild Africa, I always try to visit a park, to observe and photograph not just the Big 5 but ANYTHING....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
But a trip through Etosha plus a Namibian hunt could be the equivalent to the Kruger/RSA thing...less big 5 in the park, more phun on the hunt....? Dont know, havent hunted RSA..but you guys have...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well, gee!

Guess his theoretical priorities changed rapidly. My mistake.

I didn't realize I could be swayed that easily. Looking into hunting plains game in Zimbabwe and the price tag that is. I can see elephants in the zoo I guess.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Believe me, elephants in the zoo ain't the same thing--and neither are buffalo or lions....

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
yeah......or lions........

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If fences are such an issue that it's all you are going to think about then Zimbabwe, Botswana and Mozambique are your answers. Even the game parks like Chirisa and Hwange do not have fences so these animals walk around wherever they want to go.

Depending on where you hunt you may have the opportunity of seeing elephant and cutting the tracks of lion and leopard. Some areas, like Gokwe (South and North) you will not see as much as the locals have a lot to do with limiting numbers. Stay away from the Gwayi area as it has been grabbed and severely screwed up.

You saw all the references to Namibia so I am not going to dwell on it. Bear in mind there are low fences all over Namibia and even though animals like kudu, eland and impala scale a low fence like it was not even there, many animals cannot and do not cross even a low fence.

In your mind: what would make a government concession different from any other concession in South Africa?

I forgot to mention that gemsbok do not occur in Zimbabwe.

Last edited by PieterKriel; 03/29/12. Reason: gemsbok
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We are doing Chobe for the big critter views then heading south to hunt plains game. Seems like a reasonable plan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your chances for seeing elephant in Chobe is rather good smile Not too far from the Victoria Falls depending on where in Chobe you are going to. Are you flying to Kasane Tony?

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
Your chances for seeing elephant in Chobe is rather good smile Not too far from the Victoria Falls depending on where in Chobe you are going to. Are you flying to Kasane Tony?

Yes we are. A few days at Vic Falls before we do.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Then I'm in agreement with the Poobah.

NAMIBIA.

Johann Veldsman Shona Hunting Adventures
http://www.shona-adventures.com

Deposit down Last Year, headed there Next Year.
Oh Yeaahh...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
So THIRSTY, This Day next Year.
Oh Yeaahh...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by maddog
OK, for the helluva it, here is my suggestion. We hunted with the following in 2008.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

It's your 1st trip. You don't want to obsess over multiple flights, guns, etc. Go to RSA. Go to Krueger Nat. Park for 2-3 days. Get over the jet lag, see most of the big 5, then transfer to their camp. Hunt for at least 10 days, then come home. You'll be glad you did. wink

maddog
+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
But a trip through Etosha plus a Namibian hunt could be the equivalent to the Kruger/RSA thing...less big 5 in the park, more phun on the hunt....? Dont know, havent hunted RSA..but you guys have...

Totally agree with Ingwe....

Mainly cause that's what he recommended I do and it was a fantastic hunt and Namibia is a very nice country and very easy to get around. And the people are friendly as heck.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Chris...just had another freind get back from essentially the same trip you took....he and his wife had a blast and came away with some nice stuff....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another good family-friendly safari is the Eastern Cape of South Africa. I've been a couple of times with Kevin Thomas (www.ktsafaris.co.za), and he does most of his RSA hunting on a great 40,000 acre place northeast of Grahamstown. It's classic Eastern Cape THICK up-and-down for native Cape bushbuck and kudu, plus some other stuff, some on more level ground.

All around there are plenty of family-frenndly tours, including the huge Addo Elephant Park (with not only elephant but buffalo and lots of other stuff), plus private game parks with all the Big Five for photos--if you count white rhino.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Chris...just had another freind get back from essentially the same trip you took....he and his wife had a blast and came away with some nice stuff....

I'm chomping at the bit to do Zim in three weeks but I'd love to take one of, or both, of my daughters to Namibia.

Loved the country and they'd love the hunting and seeing Etosha.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Uhlenhorst Safaris, Namibia. Went in 2010, and want to again....soon

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Personally, I would go to Botswana. I've got some outfitters up there with truly huge areas and loads of plains game at good prices. You will get to feel wild africa. South Africa would be a good second choice. They are both good places for your first safari.

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.