Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just sent a check off for one of these. Anyone else have one. Any issues or things to look out for in installation or usage.

Photos of one on your ZKK Rifle?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are not capable of putting one on satisfactorily

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a Lapour on one of my Brno 21H customs and recently spoke with Ed, for the first time in years, about buying some more as I have several of these rifles and actions.

My best bud, who posts here as "free-miner" had a ZKK version until just recently and they are the way to go and a GOOD 'smith or skilled hobbiest can install them without major difficulty. I have many rifles and examples of about every after-market 3-pos safety made, among these is another Lapour for my custom CZ-550 now being built by one of Martini's former employees and Lapours are among the best I have seen.

Kevin, a word of friendly advice here, I have been at custom rifles for almost 50 years and I actually used mine in BC wilderness work for many years. I have found a definite correlation in quality of gunmiths's work and integrity with their behaviour and personality, in short, the azzholes are also pizzpoor smiths and guys like Duane Weibe are total gentlemen to deal with.....

So, let that be a bit of a guide to you and maybe just send your rifle to Ed for the installation. If, you intend to hunt here in BC, a rifle with poor smithing can be a very serious issue. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I bought a ZKK 375 H&H that came with one on it and it is fine. Clearly installed by someone that knew what they were doing.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jkob

Who the heck are you to say that someone else cannot do a mechanical task? crazy

From Kob's profile:

"Occupation: gunmaker
Hobbies: girls and guns
"

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Kute:

Many many moons ago I watched a somewhat local gunsmith (sadly now deceased) install a couple of the Dakota brand 3 position safeties on a couple of 98 Mauser actions. So I am aware of the fact that if you want to use the 3rd position feature you have to mill a slot in the rear of the bolt to accept the pin that is advanced when using the third position. This of course causes the bolt to stop from opening.

I also remember him using lapping compound on the threads to make them fit better, and also that he had to grind an angle on the cocking piece so that the safety lever engaged.

I think I would be capable of doing that stuff if I had the proper tools, but I don't have the tools.

So yea, I need to find somebody to install it for me. Luckily, there are a lot of good machinists where I live.

($300 for a safety. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!)

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have dealt with Ed La Pour for years and he has worked on several gun projects for me. He is a craftsman of the highest order and will fit your safety correctly. I have a M2 Springfield project in the works and will be sending the rifle for a safety installation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe part of the problem with 3 pos. safeties on ZKKs is filling in the void left behind when the old safety is removed. That is why Lapour supplies a 'filler' piece. Lon Paul welds up the void when fitting this type of safety. Aesthetics only I suppose.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Savage_99,
Don't know what you are saying about Kobe. He is very honest and is a skilled custom gunsmith. He won't put up with BS. I use him because the quality of his work. I have several of Ed's safeties, some installed by him, a couple by David Christman, a couple by Jim Kobe, and one by James Anderson. All of them function perfectly.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by 22WRF
Kute:

Many many moons ago I watched a somewhat local gunsmith (sadly now deceased) install a couple of the Dakota brand 3 position safeties on a couple of 98 Mauser actions. So I am aware of the fact that if you want to use the 3rd position feature you have to mill a slot in the rear of the bolt to accept the pin that is advanced when using the third position. This of course causes the bolt to stop from opening.

I also remember him using lapping compound on the threads to make them fit better, and also that he had to grind an angle on the cocking piece so that the safety lever engaged.

I think I would be capable of doing that stuff if I had the proper tools, but I don't have the tools.

So yea, I need to find somebody to install it for me. Luckily, there are a lot of good machinists where I live.

($300 for a safety. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Big difference between a dakota and a lapour though. why not have Ed install it if you aren't doing it yourself?
Don

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ayup, I have a Dakota on a F.I.E. FN in .308Norma, that a friend gave me and it was also installed by Martini's; nothing wrong with it, but, I also put a Bansner stock on this rig and usually use Micky Edge handles on my various P-64-70 and Brno 21 and ZG rifles, because I value them more highly.

Again, I would have Ed install it and thus save any potential hassle and stress.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have used several dakotas, lapours, and gentrys on mausers. Nothing wrong with any of them, except the odd dakota and gentry with timing issues. Both were replaced with no hassles. Lapour's are just made to higher tolerances and take more effort to fit up, but well worth the effort.
Don

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
I believe part of the problem with 3 pos. safeties on ZKKs is filling in the void left behind when the old safety is removed. That is why Lapour supplies a 'filler' piece. Lon Paul welds up the void when fitting this type of safety. Aesthetics only I suppose.

Thank you very much. That is just the kind of specific information that I was looking for. Now I have to find a photo of a Lon Paul Rifle to see what that looks like.

Thank you again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Maybe you can read this a bit. From Jan'94 issue of G&A Rifle.

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bristecd

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by Jkob

Who the heck are you to say that someone else cannot do a mechanical task? crazy

From Kob's profile:

"Occupation: gunmaker
Hobbies: girls and guns
"

How? I know the guy!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My 'smith had to recut everything to make the Lapour fit my ZKK 602. I wound up paying for lots more time than anticipated (my choice) but it works GREAT. If you don't have all the tools to be a 'smith, don't expect to just slip it in. BTW, you lose the field strip handy-dandy feature of the Brno (lose the button in the switch) used to clean the bolt...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by agazain
BTW, you lose the field strip handy-dandy feature of the Brno (lose the button in the switch) used to clean the bolt...

Doesn't the middle position (on the LaPour) accomplish the same?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEmyoje3QRM

There you go, Larry does it in record time. Adam

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by free_miner
Originally Posted by agazain
BTW, you lose the field strip handy-dandy feature of the Brno (lose the button in the switch) used to clean the bolt...

Doesn't the middle position (on the LaPour) accomplish the same?

It does -- thanks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,413
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.