Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by billy336
Trenching is easy.....

Not in the Texas Hill Country.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SCHOOLCRAFT
The hog panels were 34" tall, and I'm wondering if that's tall enough to keep the suckers out.

Yes.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by billy336
Trenching is easy.....

Not in the Texas Hill Country.

Im in FL, Soft and sandy round these parts

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Ok. I'm going to go with the hog panels and T post every 8ft.
I had originally thought of building it 32'x32', but I'm wondering if 48'x48' would be any better.
I've heard that if the enclosure is too small that only 1 or 2 deer will get into it at a time.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SCHOOLCRAFT
Ok. I'm going to go with the hog panels and T post every 8ft.
I had originally thought of building it 32'x32', but I'm wondering if 48'x48' would be any better.
I've heard that if the enclosure is too small that only 1 or 2 deer will get into it at a time.

The largest you can afford is gooder. Don't forget to put you a gate in there.

Robert E. Lee
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You will not have to bury the panels if you build a round feeder pen. Just multiply the number of feet of panels that you have and multiply by 3.14 and then get a string half that length and draw a circle around your feeder. Hogs will not dig around a round pen.They will come up to it, start circling the pen and then just run off.They will only dig around a pen when they can get their nose into a corner which alwaays happens on a square pen.

Ex.8-20 foot panels =160ft X 3.14 or 480 ft roughly. Now take half of 48 and that is 24.That's how long you're string needs to be.Measure the string out after you have staked it into the ground under your feeder and with a pole that has sharp end scribe your circle in the ground.Now place your panels on the scribed mark,drive your T posts and your done.You may want to cut one of you panels in two to make a 10ft gate to enter and leave the pen from.

Last edited by powdr; 05/25/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ex.8-20 foot panels =160ft X 3.14 or 480 ft roughly.

Powdr, I did not quite understand you math. Shouldn't you divide by pi instead of multiply. ie. 8-20 foot panels=160 ft divided by pi (3.14......)=50.930 divided by 2=25.46 or 25'6" for your string length? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by powdr
You will not have to bury the panels if you build a round feeder pen. Just multiply the number of feet of panels that you have and multiply by 3.14 and then get a string half that length and draw a circle around your feeder. Hogs will not dig around a round pen.They will come up to it, start circling the pen and then just run off.They will only dig around a pen when they can get their nose into a corner which alwaays happens on a square pen.

Ex.8-20 foot panels =160ft X 3.14 or 480 ft roughly. Now take half of 48 and that is 24.That's how long you're string needs to be.Measure the string out after you have staked it into the ground under your feeder and with a pole that has sharp end scribe your circle in the ground.Now place your panels on the scribed mark,drive your T posts and your done.You may want to cut one of you panels in two to make a 10ft gate to enter and leave the pen from.

This works very, very well. Set one post/panel end & just follow the scribed circle around. We hammered a piece of pipe that a T post would slip in (Without the plate.) for the center of the gate panel. Just remove the wire from one so it swings away easily. Plan your gate for easy access for the truck to back in to fill the feeder.

Perfect circle with no corners for them to get leverage. Looks much better than a square, too, IMO. Plus, it maximizes the distance of the feeder from the panels. Just change the math a little if you use 16 footers. I used ten of them & think twelve would have been perfect.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Miles I knew something was wrong but couldn't figure out what. Was not sharp in math.I can guarantee him if he builds it square the hogs will find a way in. I've seen them tear their noses and snouts to shreds to tear a gap in a square pen.The biologists in Texas say a minimum of a 60ft round pen is about perfect. This allows enough room for a young buck to get away from a mature buck if they get caught in the same pen together.You don't need to bury your panels...just set them and hold them down w/your foot while tying to the post. powdr

Revised Math: 8x20ft panels =160ft divided by 3.14=50.95 so your string should be 50.95 divided 2=25 feet long and draw your circle w/that, making sure one holds the implement used to draw the circle straight up and down throughout the circle.I used this system in deep south Texas for years and never had a hog breech any of my pens.Sorry for the earlier error.By the way...I used 9-20foot panels for 180 feet total or a 57-58 foot pen.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
UPDATE:

I bought a dozen 16ft. hog panels and am going to build the enclosure in a circle.

12 x 16 = 192ft. circumference divided by 3.14 = a circle enclosure that's just over 61ft. across.

I think it's going to come out nice. Now I just need to figure out where to build it! The deer roam all over this 200 acre track of land, so I know they'll find it easily.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good pix!

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good pix!
That big buck looks as if he has stockings on front legs.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
SC just find you an area w/natural deer runs or areas where you see the deer consistently. A random approach to pen location is not good. Set it up for their convenience not yours. The place should have some cover and place at least 30-40% of your pen butting up against this cover. They need to feel safe when approaching the pen. You will find out at first, they will just mill around the outside of the pen till some brave soul jumps in and starts eating. You then have established a good feeding area. Don't be afraid to move the pen if it's not getting the movement you feel like it should. powdr

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.