Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Trying to ramp up my knowledge of the latest lines - hear pros cons types and applications.

Primarily interested in what is working well - casting, hassle free use, etc. on spinning gear where most will be using 4-6lb or 8-10# on reels slightly larger.

I understand the newest lines can give you say 10# for the diameter of 2#.

Looking for any input and fav Flouro and/or Braids. Hear some say Flouro falls off the spool giving 'birds nest' - others say no issues if 6# or under.

Thoughts? Thanks all.

GB2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I like p line flouro in4 lb for my ul spinning outfit

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
65BR,

Yesterday I got some TUF-LINE DURACAST 6 LB. The line is .003". It says on the package "Performance Of Braid Handling Of Mono" and Ultra Round Tri-Axial Construction".

I will let you know how it works after I crank it on the reel.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gentlemen,

I had a chance to compare the DURA-CAST 6 LB casting against some mono 4LB line. I used the same weight for casting both lines. The DURA-CAST actually had a vibration as it forced its way through the first guide. I never felt any line of any weight do that before. Despite being about the same diameter as the 4LB it did not cast as far by about 15%.

It is now on the back up spool.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use Stren Original 4lb test almost exclusively. Yes, I have tried a lot o different line out, but always go back to Stren.

I would like to try out the Dura-cast 6lb, but honestly I don't expect to be switching to a braided line with light/UL spinning rigs. The vibration mentioned by Ringman has me questioning whether or not I even want to try it out.

IC B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Guys, and Ringman, head a few things on that line, also reading on P-line - a new one they have out for spinning outfits..CX or something like that.

Sounds like many of the 'new tech' lines have some 'idiosyncracies' - as I read user comments i.e. Basspro site, reviews very informative, also read some on crappie.com as I searched for info on flourocarbon lines - good info - thanks guys.

Always open to new better ways, if it's cost effective. Faster sinking line and better hook set/sensitivity - low stretch are appealing...as abrasion resistance.

Need to do more reading and try some various ones. The more you can 'FEEL' strikes, the more fish one should catch...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I fished P line for a summer or two, but I've switched back to Trilene and Stren. I love fishing with UL gear, and 99% of my fishing is done that way.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tried Stren Flourocast 4lb, Sx big time, have never had so many tangles, lasted 2 short fishing trips. Dumped the flouro and went back to Stren original no problems after fishing for 3 days. By the way I like the green tint.

PS I do almost all of my spin fishing with UL tackle, do go to medium tackle when fishing for catfish.

Last edited by Prwlr; 06/02/12.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for feedback guys.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had excellent results with Fireline. Began using it 9 years ago. I fish 3-4 days a week late March through late June. I use 2, 3, 4 and 6 lb the most. These super thin lines last one to two seasons. Unlike mono this line doesn't deteriorate with heat and sunlight.

2 and 3 lb are no longer available but I purchased many of them on closeouts and still have years worth left.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been using braid, but I use a flouro leader with mine. The sensitivity of braid is great, but the leaders make it a hassle. Some use straight braid, but I fish from my boat in current so like the ability to break my line off fairly quickly without breaking my pole!

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks all, ringman - so the 6lb outcast the 4? Cool.

Around here I like 6 and 8 vs. 4 for what I do - no trout in La- well, Speckled on the coast/gulf...

Looks like P-line and Fireline are GTG - heard many on fishing forums like those.

Timbo - what brands and #? Thanks guys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Trilene XL because it is much more supple e.g. managable.
I don't beleive Fluoro was ever meant for ul spinning. Its to stiff and sinks. Fluoro is fantastic however for pitching Sinkos on a casting rod.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have some Sufix Siege and Trilene XL both in 6lb to try.

I figured the sinking Flouro would give better feel for finese fishing jigs and light lures taking the slack up...

Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought I was the only one who ended up cursing fluorocarbon on a light spinning reel. AMAZING tangles the first time out had me cutting back until I had only about 40 yards of line left - and that's when I left.

I went back to good old mono on my UL rig, although I did tie on a 10-ft section of same-test fluoro to take advantage of its invisibility factor. I'll replace it when lure changing brings it back to three feet or so.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for sharing, I have read mixed reviews re: Flouro on spinning reels, I think it depends on many factors.

I know spool size, what # test line is used, etc.

No doubt, as you I had to learn not to 'over fill' on UL or 'micro' UL reels even w/6# it created many more issues, MUCH better leaving say .2-.25 space to edge of spool lip.

This was w/Mono btw. Rocky, do you recall what brand line your experience was with and also what specific reel?

THanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry, no. The filler spool is long gone. Daiwa reel, but I'm not near it to check the model now.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another Fireline fan here. Great stuff. I use the crystal version on my spinning lights and ultralights. Minus, as with any braid, is you need to place backing under the braid to keep things running right.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
flouro is still really stiff. I like it, but use it as a leader only. Tried it spooled on the reel, but it coils excessively. Especially when cold, the braid just casts and works better.

Last edited by fyshbum; 06/08/12.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks all very much for the input folks.

FWIW, this new P-line is supposedly made just for spinning reels. Looks like some good reviews. If I try P-line this is what I will get, and report on findings, won't be anytime soon, have other line to go thru first.

http://www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=94

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.