Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Where do these idiots come from?

Before you sharpy.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
It's not like subs aren't used in BPCR. So, are we off topic?

No if you read the NRA rules the only sub allowed is Pyrodex. I don't recall seeing anybody even near the highscores in any class using the stuff.
I'm also guessing you're not shooting the Colo state sillouette championships at Watkins today, and we probably won't see you on the roster for the Creedmoor at Byers tommorrow?

I can say with pretty near absolute certainty that you will never see me near any of that because I don't compete in anything anymore. My primary concern is to find BP or a substitute that is safe and available to me where I live. If I can buy BP at a reasonable price where I live so be it, if not I�ll go with a Pyrodex substitute like RS or RS Select.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
36,490 posts, and not one of them worth reading.

You must be a teenager.

I feel the same way which is why I have him on ignore.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by derby_dude

You must be a teenager.

I came to this forum, because I had an interest in BPCR. I was going to start a thread about it, but I wanted to hang out a bit to see how things went.

They'll be happy to know i've lost interest after seeing the attitudes here. Way to represent your sport guys.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude

You must be a teenager.

I came to this forum, because I had an interest in BPCR. I was going to start a thread about it, but I wanted to hang out a bit to see how things went.

They'll be happy to know i've lost interest after seeing the attitudes here. Way to represent your sport guys.

I don�t think it�s just BPCR, I think it�s that way with most shooting sports. BPCR seems worse because most BPCR forums are concerned with either serious competition or big game hunting. With big game hunting, what you use seems less important but with serious competition it�s as much about the rules as it is about the competition itself. Competition tends toward an elite class of shooters and the rules of the competition further that means to an end of the elite class of shooters. Don�t get me wrong here; rules of safety are necessary for safe operations anytime you get a bunch of people together with loaded firearms but most rules of competition are designed to create an elite class of shooters. Besides the old age issues, I don�t compete anymore because I hate rules and I do not find competition fun at all. I guess I�m too old and jaded.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I came to this forum, because I had an interest in BPCR.

And then you get upset because they want to talk about black powder. Go figure. confused miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sense some condescending attitude here, and that's putting it lightly. Sort of reminds me of fly fisherman that use bamboo rods. I'm one of those without the attitude.

It's all shooting, and nobody is better than anybody else.

I'm not going to even bother addressing any of your points. I came on this sub forum to help. Not get talked down to.

Just a quick reminder here bubba. You are the one that came in here blastin gas about subs. Then you proceed to tell someone who has probably fired more pounds of bp of all brands than you can imagine, a few years ago was before he dropped out of the bpcr circles was known as one of the top rifle builders, that he has no bp experience. Then you tell us you're experience is limited to CAS long range? And then proceed to tell us that you have no interest in attending 2 major bcpr matches within an hour of your hovel....
Now you tell us that subs are allowed in bpcr, but when confronted with the rules , you "sense a condescending attitue" ... well I wonder why that might be...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Mauser_HunterI came to this forum, because I had an interest in BPCR. I was going to start a thread about it, but I wanted to hang out a bit to see how things went.

They'll be happy to know i've lost interest after seeing the attitudes here. Way to represent your sport guys. [/quote]

Talk about switchin horse in the middle of the stream, up until this point you were holding yourself out as someone with much more experience than any one else.
Now you tell us you came here because you had an interest in it?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Where do these idiots come from?

Before you sharpy.

You shxthead, here you go again slapping someone down who he and his wife shot for Goex for years and years,,,,,,
You really ought to know who some of these folks are and what their experiences are before you jump on your highhorse....

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having relied mostly on the words of others to suggest my disdain for some of the skewed conversation here in the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle forum perhaps a novel change of pace is in order. (?)

An opinion: The forum title mostly describes the topic. There are ample alternatives for other discussion.

Another opinion: Anyone fearing BP, regardless of reason is simply misinformed and probably embracing myths put forth by Doctors of Urban Legend. It is an easy clean up, as safe as YOU are, and very reliable in performance.

Yet a third opinion: Moving into this topic thinking one can spread a load of pasture pie without correction or challenge is silly. Most of the steady contributors have forgotten more than I'll ever know about the art and science of BP and the guns that use it. They probably aren't going to be too concerned whether one suffers MPH syndrome as a result.

#4 opinion: Subs suck. I know too many that misunderstand the reason for their creation. Mostly it stems from shipping and storage regulations for retail distributors but there was the myth that they are easier to clean up and less corrosive than BP. Horsechitt. BH209 is the first I'm aware of that may have achieved that to some degree, but having pronounced a few inline barrels DOA when owners approached me for "a little help" with rotted barrels they forgot to clean "for a little while", the truth is easy enough to see. Lot of folks are not unlike lemmings; too damn lazy to measure the pool depth before jumping into the deep end. Never ends well.

Last opininon: Dude, I think your perception about "elite class of shooters" is far divorced from reality. I had occasion last year to attend the NRC shoot in Cody as a competitor. The many different matches shot all had equipment rules. You have a simple choice there, meet the requirements or don't shoot. I had the gear to shoot two of the matches, both using ML target guns. I found the small mob in attendance to be perfectly helpful gentlemen. They were ALL serious competitors and included the likes of Steve Garbe, Kenny Wasserberger, Mike Otterberg, Jack Odor among others.

Some of it looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Trip/IMG_0904.jpg[/img]

I'm not seeing "elite" here. This was the second organized shooting competition I've participated in with rifles in my life. Placed 3d against a dozen or so with the slug rifle at 200 yards and 2d in picket class using a gun and scope in the neighborhood of 130 years old. I am so flippin' far from elite I need binoculars to see it. There is so much I don't know about BP and casting bullets it is absurd, but I'm willing to listen to the wisdom of experience, even from some here that are as friendly as a saguaro cactus.

There wasn't a single kernel of substitute BP within 50 miles.

There is no sin in pursuit of excellence. To do less is to waste a small bit of your life, one little piece at a time.

"Do you speak BPCR?" - Dan (1949-)

"We have art to save ourselves from the truth."
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PS: I have since picked up the tools to get me in the door for two other matches and have high hopes of doing that next year out in Cody.

.40-.38-55

[Linked Image]

.25-20 SS

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Having relied mostly on the words of others to suggest my disdain for some of the skewed conversation here in the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle forum perhaps a novel change of pace is in order. (?)

An opinion: The forum title mostly describes the topic. There are ample alternatives for other discussion.

Another opinion: Anyone fearing BP, regardless of reason is simply misinformed and probably embracing myths put forth by Doctors of Urban Legend. It is an easy clean up, as safe as YOU are, and very reliable in performance.

Yet a third opinion: Moving into this topic thinking one can spread a load of pasture pie without correction or challenge is silly. Most of the steady contributors have forgotten more than I'll ever know about the art and science of BP and the guns that use it. They probably aren't going to be too concerned whether one suffers MPH syndrome as a result.

#4 opinion: Subs suck. I know too many that misunderstand the reason for their creation. Mostly it stems from shipping and storage regulations for retail distributors but there was the myth that they are easier to clean up and less corrosive than BP. Horsechitt. BH209 is the first I'm aware of that may have achieved that to some degree, but having pronounced a few inline barrels DOA when owners approached me for "a little help" with rotted barrels they forgot to clean "for a little while", the truth is easy enough to see. Lot of folks are not unlike lemmings; too damn lazy to measure the pool depth before jumping into the deep end. Never ends well.

Last opininon: Dude, I think your perception about "elite class of shooters" is far divorced from reality. I had occasion last year to attend the NRC shoot in Cody as a competitor. The many different matches shot all had equipment rules. You have a simple choice there, meet the requirements or don't shoot. I had the gear to shoot two of the matches, both using ML target guns. I found the small mob in attendance to be perfectly helpful gentlemen. They were ALL serious competitors and included the likes of Steve Garbe, Kenny Wasserberger, Mike Otterberg, Jack Odor among others.

Some of it looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Trip/IMG_0904.jpg[/img]

I'm not seeing "elite" here. This was the second organized shooting competition I've participated in with rifles in my life. Placed 3d against a dozen or so with the slug rifle at 200 yards and 2d in picket class using a gun and scope in the neighborhood of 130 years old. I am so flippin' far from elite I need binoculars to see it. There is so much I don't know about BP and casting bullets it is absurd, but I'm willing to listen to the wisdom of experience, even from some here that are as friendly as a saguaro cactus.

There wasn't a single kernel of substitute BP within 50 miles.

There is no sin in pursuit of excellence. To do less is to waste a small bit of your life, one little piece at a time.

"Do you speak BPCR?" - Dan (1949-)

"We have art to save ourselves from the truth."
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

First, who the hell stole my derby? mad Just kidding but that does look just like my one of my derbies. grin

Second, my apologies, as I might have spoken with my azz instead of my mouth. The only competition I have done has been bull�s-eye pistol 40 plus years ago. While everyone was nice if you didn�t have thousands of dollars� worth of pistols and equipment you weren�t competitive. Every year it seemed to get worse especially with all the rule changes. Even with the government picking up some of the tab it got to the point where I could not afford it. It seemed only the wealthy elite could afford to compete and us mere mortals, well, we weren�t supposed to be there. It left a sour taste in my mouth.

Third, I should have said nothing about BPCR especially about competition. I do belong to a couple of BPCR forums and it does seem that serious competition and big game hunting are the only purpose for BPCR. No one seems to discuss recreational shooting with BPCR. I�m a recreational shooter and while I know that BP is the powder of choice I can�t see what harm there is in using Hodgdon substitute powder as long as one follows the directions on its use. After all, Hodgdon has been making their substitute for a long time and I�m sure if it was not a reasonable good product the product would have died on the vine a long time ago. The above is why I thought that BPCR competitors were an elite lot.

And last but not lease, I�m sorry for putting my foot in my mouth but I�m wondering if a recreational shooter should belong to BPCR forums? I will have to think about this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guy in the derby is Jim. Hell of a nice fella and a lot of fun to shoot with.
bpcr is recreational shooting.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes they should!!! Whether a competitor or not, the fellas who have the most experience are fantastic when it comes to helping new BPCR riflemen find their legs. Whether to compete, hunt orjust plain have fun they are the coolest bunch to learn from one could imagine.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, going back to your first post, I thought it was a valid question, well answered for the most part. Somewhere along the way the thread took an excursion out to Mars it seems.

Ignoring all the hoopla on this, it boils down to a fairly simple analysis from where I sit. If you want to load small capacity CF cartridges with a sub, go right ahead. You're not going to see any benefit whatsoever. Pyrodex smells like burnt socks. Rest of them smell like Rosie O'Donnell. I don't see a functional difference between smokeless and BH209 but you'll have lower velocity. You can buy lever guns chambered for classic BP cartridges that are current production. Hunt with them, plink with them, or hold up the Overland Stagecoach if you want.

The .25-20 SS pictured above will serve two purposes for me. Competition and the killing of a bunch of hogs, one at a time. Both are recreation to me, but pork eats better than paper. It will be loaded with Swiss BP and cast bullets from an Ideal 257383 mould.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 06/02/12.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
First off. I came to this thread defending BP. Not subs. The topic was shooting BP in a 30-30 lever gun. Something i've done a lot of. It was Swamp who was against it.

I don't want to read the whole thread again, but I don't think I brought up subs.

I also never said i had more experience than anybody in BPCR. I said i've probably shot more BP. You guys aren't the only ones who use it. Years of shooting CAS, and BP ML shoots, plus hunting burns some powder. I've been retired since 99, and have everyday to shoot. Being single, I don't need to answer to anybody, so I put all my time in my hobbies.

I'm well aware of the discipline it takes to be competitive in shooting competitions. I made a living in the 70's trap shooting.

I didn't start this damn thread, and I didn't keep it going either. Just because I set some things straight about subs, doesn't mean I promote it. Anybody that knows me in real life knows i'd rather shoot BP than anything else.

However, if you jump on me and insult me. I'm going to respond on the same level.

I'm not going to put you all in the same group, but you've got some real jerks on this forum who wouldn't last 30 seconds on a forum with mods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I, for one, am perfectly fine with no moderators - telling me what I can read, or write.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First off. I came to this thread defending BP. Not subs. The topic was shooting BP in a 30-30 lever gun. Something i've done a lot of. It was Swamp who was against it.

I don't want to read the whole thread again, but I don't think I brought up subs.

I also never said i had more experience than anybody in BPCR. I said i've probably shot more BP. You guys aren't the only ones who use it. Years of shooting CAS, and BP ML shoots, plus hunting burns some powder. I've been retired since 99, and have everyday to shoot. Being single, I don't need to answer to anybody, so I put all my time in my hobbies.

I'm well aware of the discipline it takes to be competitive in shooting competitions. I made a living in the 70's trap shooting.

I didn't start this damn thread, and I didn't keep it going either. Just because I set some things straight about subs, doesn't mean I promote it. Anybody that knows me in real life knows i'd rather shoot BP than anything else.

However, if you jump on me and insult me. I'm going to respond on the same level.

I'm not going to put you all in the same group, but you've got some real jerks on this forum who wouldn't last 30 seconds on a forum with mods.

OK, I haven't read all of your, and lame DD's post.

The two of you go get a room,.....

Do the 'Real jerks' on one another.

This AIN'T a "Forum with mods" you two bit poser, and lame azzed WHINY corksocker.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Well, going back to your first post, I thought it was a valid question, well answered for the most part. Somewhere along the way the thread took an excursion out to Mars it seems.

Ignoring all the hoopla on this, it boils down to a fairly simple analysis from where I sit. If you want to load small capacity CF cartridges with a sub, go right ahead. You're not going to see any benefit whatsoever. Pyrodex smells like burnt socks. Rest of them smell like Rosie O'Donnell. I don't see a functional difference between smokeless and BH209 but you'll have lower velocity. You can buy lever guns chambered for classic BP cartridges that are current production. Hunt with them, plink with them, or hold up the Overland Stagecoach if you want.

The .25-20 SS pictured above will serve two purposes for me. Competition and the killing of a bunch of hogs, one at a time. Both are recreation to me, but pork eats better than paper. It will be loaded with Swiss BP and cast bullets from an Ideal 257383 mould.

Blow me,....you filthy alligator freak !

I need moderation, and excess at one filthy stinkin' BP event.

Tell Garbe I said that,.....the dirty Meschershmidt crazed azzwhole.

Tell that Wyoming Cowboy to kiss my Az azz, too.

In a general sense,....[bleep] the whole rest and lot of ya'

Hold my beer,.....watch this,...

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I needed that. LMAO!

Did I ever tell you about the time I ran over a crocodile down in the Keys? Yep, a 6 footer fell prey to my Honda Civic about Oh-Dark-Thirty on the way to work. Dang if that didn't make a lot of racket!

The press was aghast that a listed species had been ruthlessly slaughtered. I was aghast at the repair bill...fuggin' lizards.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.