-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd buy a $250 Bushnell Legend HD before I'd buy any switch/zoom bino.

I'm lucky. I have both!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
We just had 2 days of heavy rain, don't look like i will be in the fields hunting groundhogs today.

Vipers will be on old for awhile till i sort this out. Mt wife and I took my parents out to "watch the eagles" and we saw 5! I sure wish i had those vortex to try!
and i certainly will be looking for Bushnell HD's to try and have been taking notes and will be looking in the preowned catagory, especially after seeing Zeiss 10x40's for $425! and will be looking for Meopta and Minox.

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"Pair" of bins means you have 2! Binocular is already plural.

I like the Lieca 8x30s for all types of hunting. Lightweight, compact, and as durable as a precision optic can be. Don't drop them on rocks and they will last forever. Weight means a lot when you carry them on your neck all days for days at at a time. My hunting seasons start in late August and continue through December. That's a long time to get to know the weight hanging from your neck.

I did try on some of the new Razors, first class for the money. You definitely have to try on optics. My Swaros in 8x30 are almost equal to the Leicas, but don't fit my eyes. The wife uses them.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
"Pair" of bins means you have 2!

like putting on a pair of underwear or taking along a pair?

i am looking at Zeiss 10x30 now, so no real need to go 40 or 42?

NRA life member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My preference in 30 mm objectives is to go no higher than 8 power. Just my preference. Stop in to a good retailer and ask to try them out side by side outside. Most reputable outfits will be happy to do so. If they can't get you outside, look for the resolution chart on the back wall of the shop. If they don't have that, find a sign or something with sharp dark lines in the darkest corner and look closely at the resolution differences.

The most important part for me however is eye compatibility. What I mean is how well the view fits to your eye with minimal futzing. After looking through several bins you will get what I mean. It will become very obvious as to which one fits your eyes best.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by taz4570
My preference in 30 mm objectives is to go no higher than 8 power. Just my preference.

I agree.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
My preference in 30 mm objectives is to go no higher than 8 power. Just my preference. Stop in to a good retailer and ask to try them out side by side outside. Most reputable outfits will be happy to do so. If they can't get you outside, look for the resolution chart on the back wall of the shop. If they don't have that, find a sign or something with sharp dark lines in the darkest corner and look closely at the resolution differences.

The most important part for me however is eye compatibility. What I mean is how well the view fits to your eye with minimal futzing. After looking through several bins you will get what I mean. It will become very obvious as to which one fits your eyes best.

thats all good advice to think about, I prefer 10x over 8x as is my cascades and the physical size has not been a problem. I think i have a perfect place in mind to check out a few. This is a bit tougher than picking the right scope!

NRA life member
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I second the recommendation for the Leupold 7x/12x switch power. The 7x seems to be a stellar performer. Another option is the Zen-RAY PRIME HD, which has some deals going on right now

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/prime-hd/prime-hd-1042.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used the Nikon "Action" 7-15x35's out hunting today that I just got along with the Leu. 7-12x32's Switch Power binoculars that I have had this year.

The Nikons are clumsy and big as compared to the neat and easy to use Leu Switch Powers. The Leu's even have a better view at either 7x or 12x than the thick and heavy Nikons.

I was going to send the Nikons back but they are not expensive. I will leave them in a second car or whatever.

The main problem with these sweet Leu. Switch Powers is that they are so expensive! I got mine at 1/2 price (lol) and still paid about $500.

There may be some other switch power out there for under $500?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lt7010
I second the recommendation for the Leupold 7x/12x switch power. The 7x seems to be a stellar performer. Another option is the Zen-RAY PRIME HD, which has some deals going on right now

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/prime-hd/prime-hd-1042.html

Just curious why you'd recommend something you've never seen (Prime's)?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by taz4570
My preference in 30 mm objectives is to go no higher than 8 power. Just my preference.

You are not alone. wink smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Viper 8X32 HD's - Very nice. Excellent view, good flare control and built like a brick. Solid, excellent focus wheel and locking diopter, warrentee as good as it gets. Lots of features in a $500 bino. Good as Swaros - not quite but you need to have the Swaros in hand to compare, even then you really have to look for the differences (mainly flare control) but it's pretty easy to see the difference at the cash register.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
After comparing several at any price point I purchased the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8X43 for about $250. I prefer them to any of the Leupolds. You might give them a try before you buy something more expensive.

I did that today, 10x42 Bushnell HD side by side with my Leupolds and no way were they better, equall to maybe but my Leupolds were more comfortalbe and easier to use the diopter and focus.

I have the Viper 8X32 HD's - Very nice. Excellent view, good flare control and built like a brick. Solid, excellent focus wheel and locking diopter, warrentee as good as it gets. Lots of features in a $500 bino. Good as Swaros - not quite but you need to have the Swaros in hand to compare, even then you really have to look for the differences (mainly flare control) but it's pretty easy to see the difference at the cash register.

i got rained out and wasnt able to get my hands on the Viper HD!!! bummed out bad!

i DID play with Leica 10x42 HD, now thats an upgrade for @2k !

headed to another high end spot friday to check out more

Last edited by rem06; 05/30/12.

NRA life member
R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
RESULTS:

well, after 2hrs at lost creek shoe shop and an hour at Cabelas after that. They are on their way and will be here Tuesday.

Euro optics

I did not like the Zeiss Diopter adjust and did not see the new designed HD. The Meopta 10x42 for $999 were way too heavy. I was stuck on 10x42 but ALOT of people recomended 8x30's
and when I saw those 8X30's i was instantly sold on them!

thx to all

NRA life member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem06
RESULTS:

well, after 2hrs at lost creek shoe shop and an hour at Cabelas after that. They are on their way and will be here Tuesday.

Euro optics

I did not like the Zeiss Diopter adjust and did not see the new designed HD. The Meopta 10x42 for $999 were way too heavy. I was stuck on 10x42 but ALOT of people recomended 8x30's
and when I saw those 8X30's i was instantly sold on them!

thx to all

rem:

Finish the story, what binocular did you end up liking?
I can't tell from here.

Jerry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jerry, if you click the link it takes you to a Swarovski CL Compnion 8x30.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 06/04/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Jerry, if you click the link it takes you to a Swarovski CL Compnion 8x30.

Thanks, I missed that. That is a good binocular, I sure like mine.

R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Swarovski CL Compnion 8x30

love at first sight grin

NRA life member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,440
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.