Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Have a 2500# ATV winch on my pickup, any critter I can get to I can load By myself, also have a 10,000# winch on the front with 150' of cable, and 150' rope ,our problem is not getting up and down hills, it's finding a way threw the brush to the critter or close enough to get a rope on them to winch them out so we can load them. Rio7

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I miss Pete E. He seemed like a good dude, for a limey.

Hope he's doing well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been there. Done that.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Details and more pics here:

https://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=3869

The problem is that, unless you're on the flat, the boards go every which way. While we still keep the ramps around, the easiest by far that we've found is something called the L-E-Vator.

More stuff on the L-E Vator here:

https://genesis9.angzva.com/?s=l+e+vator

Last edited by shaman; 09/13/20.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's no problem. All you need is a little help.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I carry a block and tackle 4 parts line in my hunting bag I keep in the truck. Most deer I can load but I have killed some big ones I couldn't. I throw a rope over a limb and pull one end of the deer up tailgate high. I grab the other end and can load them.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Um .. why? Why wouldn't you just pick it up and set it in the truck bed? Some kind of extreme physical disability? I'm not trying to be a dick here, I'm truly trying to see the need. My dad is 85, pretty well stove up, but he just packs his buck up to the back of the truck, lowers the tail gate, and puts it in the bed, then shuts the tailgate. Why are you complicating things so much?

The only time I've had a problem getting something loaded was .. well, it was an 800 pound hereford bull I shot. I did manage to get it up into the truck bed whole (minus guts of course) but that was kind of a bitch.

-- tangent ... need to share. It's Sept 12, right? there's a frickin buck walking around the yard with his neck out straight, lip curled, sniffing does. Sure seems early for that.

Tom

Only time I ever struggled loading a dead animal. was the first elk I ever shot in Colorado... Being a flatlander, and shooting it way down in a deep canyon from the road, I was wiped out after getting the 3rd quarter of it up out of that canyon to my truck. It was one of those canyons you dang near had to go up on all 4s to make it up...I was winded bad from the elevation, and my arms and back and legs were like spaghetti noodles after the 3rd trip up.... Luckily some big ole farm boys from Texas came by on a side by side and saw me struggling to get up the last part of the canyon to the truck and one of them jumped out and helped...I took a nap in the truck for 2 to 3 hours and went back for the rest of the elk with no issue...Learned a lot of lessons, for one, i'm not sure I ever want to shoot an elk in a deep hole like that again without having some help around to pack it out....Also learned to have an alternative way to load an animal just in case. I didn't have a winch, come along, or block and tackle. Just had a little rope and no ramp of any kind....I was young and stupid...

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 09/13/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any animal I can't lift I cut apart to load. I have to cut them up to butcher anyway, so what reason would I want to load them whole?

If I am saving the skin I will skin them just past the spine and then roll then over to the other side and do it again then I just field quarter them.

Bringing them back in one piece and then cutting them apart to do the butchering is hard, but cutting them up to butcher and then bringing them back is easy.
Elk, moose buffalo and even large deer get cut apart in the field ----and then they are loaded easily.

Last edited by szihn; 09/13/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
To lift a whitetail into my pickup bed, I built a small crane out of 2x4's. I use a ratchet strap to lift one half of the deer up, and lift the other half by hand.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by szihn
Any animal I can't lift I cut apart to load. I have to cut them up to butcher anyway, so what reason would I want to load them whole?

Avoiding so much of that red crust and browned, oxidized meat is one reason I prefer to get them out whole, if possible. It's often not realistic to do so though.

I know a guy can grind that crust and brown meat, and I do that when I have that kind of meat to deal with but prefer to have as little of it as I can.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Brute force when you can't take it apart in the field. Or back your truck into a hole so tailgate is at ground level. Get Butt end in first!

Preferred method: Sit on tailgate, lay back, unhook backpack :-)

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Never done anything bigger than a deer. But all my life my technique was to get on the back of the truck with my drag rope and stick, and roll the rope as far as I can and then just pull it up with brute force.

Now, I'm getting too damn old for that schit, especially with big deer. A few years ago I bought this doo-hickey. In the time that it takes to set it up, I could just drag the MoFo up by hand. But I'm worried I might F up my back or something and it just ain't worth it. Last year, I bet I killed 4 or 5 deer that were possibly over 150 lbs. (field dressed). This damned thing came in pretty handy. I also used it one time to lift my Honda Generator into the truck to take it to the shop to get it worked on.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
This looks like a good option...

[Linked Image]

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
When I’m by myself and my winch is burned up I just halter them [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]gif pictures site

And break out the meskin winch!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8000# Warn makes it easy.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Feller buncher can be perty handy..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
first buy a mustard yellow Avalanche.
then mount a 2500# superwinch to the plastic valance over the back window.
next get 1 mile of cable .
lastly Ass shoot a bear, go home for the night, come back next am , lasso the bear with the mile long cable.......

i couldn't help my self!
i ahve used a wench and a winch to get moose whole into pickups and onto trailers. the best loading of a moose was when my cousin shot his 30 yards above a logging rd. there were 3 guys present. we backed his pu up to the bank, then slid the bugger down the hillside , over the bank and into his pu bed. actually i held the 3 rifles and cuz and friend did all the work! grin

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Many folks underestimate the utility of a loader tractor. I mean, you never see, "Loader Tractor" on the gear list from any big-game guide's website.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Eight years later and this thread still cracks me up. I never dreamed there are so many guys who don't know how to quarter a critter and throw the quarters in back of the truck...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a "come along" helps

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
Many folks underestimate the utility of a loader tractor. I mean, you never see, "Loader Tractor" on the gear list from any big-game guide's website.

I burn diesel before sweat if I have a choice.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,154
Posts18,465,082
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.