Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
keith,

i really enjoyed your post and the photos--very nice target.

you are very fortunate to have a wife who likes to hunt--and is quite successful at it !

the perfect moose there, too.

the ithaca rifle i referred to (the one from 1974), had a little bit more of that "california look" to it than yours--likely because it was made earlier.

if i recall correctly, it had the rosewood angled fore-end tip, pistol grip cap, etc.--the very copied "weatherby look".

about the time yours were possibly made, the pendulum was starting to swing away from the weatherby look, to a more conservative approach--and even a little later, to a more classical look too--abandoning fore-end tips and grip caps, rigs having more satin stock finishes, and lower combs/or even straight combs...

keep that gal shooting and hunting !

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ackman
That gun was before Tikka become part of Sako.

I did own one M65 Deluxe in 30-06 in the original box with both Tikka and Sako logos on the box.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

The Ithaca rifle I referred to (the one from 1974), had a little bit more of that "california look" to it than yours--likely because it was made earlier.

if I recall correctly, it had the rosewood angled fore-end tip, pistol grip cap, etc.--the very copied "Weatherby look".

Hi_Vel,

If I'm not mistaken; The rifle you are referring to is a LSA-65 Deluxe .

The Deluxe had all the features that you refer to.

In 1976, I looked at a Ithaca LSA-65 Deluxe in .25-06. I was enthralled with that rifle. But, alas, the price was on the north side of $400. and I was going thru a divorce at the time. frown That was the only Deluxe I have ever actually held in my sweaty palms. smile

According to the BBoGV, the LSA-55 & LSA-65 Deluxe , had a Monte Carlo rollover comb, Rosewood P/G cap and F/E tip, and Skip-Line checkering. Also had clean barrel, and scope mounts furnished.

GH

P.S: I would further note that these rifles had the Wundhummer swell on the pistol grip...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
grasshopper,

thank you for the clarification--and your explanation sounds like the correct conclusion on those differences.

it is remarkable--and mighty fine--to be able to learn from all of you.

the BSA i mentioned earlier in the thread was much the same: forend tip, roll-over cheekpiece, pistol grip cap, palm swell, (but i don't believe that BSA had skip line checkering though).

they are an astonishing example of extraordinary craftsmanship--even the spring on the follower has its own unique little touch--i've shot them and can absolutely attest to their accuracy being on par with sako's.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
For those of you who are interested, I just happened on to a LSA-65 Deluxe on Auction Arms:

LSA-65 Deluxe

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.