-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was thinking about shooting some bears this year and processing them for dog food. I know they like moose, deer and elk just fine, but I'd like to keep more of that meat for the two legged members of our family. Do you have any experience using meat from bears to provide protein for the dogs? The cats might like it too?

Last edited by CanuckShooter; 06/02/12.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bears are subject to Trichinosis and about a thousand other parasites--you had better cook it well. I'm down to 2 good bear hounds here but I used to keep 30. They do fine on Ole Roy from Wallmart.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've been cooking brown bear meat for our dogs for 25years, I cut or chop if frozen into 2" chunks and after it hits a boil add rice or chopped barley.[Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just gave our old dog some black bear meat yesterday, boiled it in a pot and let it cool, she gobbled it up like there was no tomorrow smile I do cook it to be sure it's safe for her she also likes the liquid which also makes it easy to dissolve her glucosamine and tylenol which helps with her sore old body.

Gerry.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dogs are carnivores. Bear meat, like virtually any other, is what they'll devour without hesitation.

We used to give them scraps. They ate everything.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess if dogs will eat brown bear meat they would like grizz too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dog gets the bones. I eat the rest. I cannot understand why people reject it as a meat source.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
I was thinking about shooting some bears this year ..........

Some bears? Better check your hunting regulations.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearguide
I was thinking about shooting some bears this year ..........

In BC we can take 2 black bears, and one grizzly under draw!! And one moose and one elk, and three deer, and one caribou....and the list goes on. :-)

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by medicman
My dog gets the bones. I eat the rest. I cannot understand why people reject it as a meat source.
Randy

+1

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As much as I like properly prepared BB meat, I'd keep as much as possible for myself and buy dog food for the pooches. confused

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What did your dog do to you to deserve being fed bear meat? LOL!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

In BC we can take 2 black bears, and one grizzly under draw!! And one moose and one elk, and three deer, and one caribou....and the list goes on. :-) [/quote]

3 deer? What zone? I'm pretty sure it's 2 on the Island, although if you can get an invite to the deer cull on Sidney Island, you can get one extra (fallow deer). Also there's a 10 limit on Haida Gwai, which I believe is in addition to what you get in the rest of the province. So technically speaking and from my limited memory, the limit is either 2, 3, 10, 12 or 13.

And bear meat is good eatin, especially in sausages and pepperoni.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by medicman
Randy

Its that religious cloven hoof thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our dogs always look at me like a crime was committed on those rare occasions I toss them a bit of bear meat. Then, depending on the temp, they get after it, but it always starts with some trepidation.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeReilly

In BC we can take 2 black bears, and one grizzly under draw!! And one moose and one elk, and three deer, and one caribou....and the list goes on. :-)

3 deer? What zone? I'm pretty sure it's 2 on the Island, although if you can get an invite to the deer cull on Sidney Island, you can get one extra (fallow deer). Also there's a 10 limit on Haida Gwai, which I believe is in addition to what you get in the rest of the province. So technically speaking and from my limited memory, the limit is either 2, 3, 10, 12 or 13.

And bear meat is good eatin, especially in sausages and pepperoni. [/quote]

The Provincial bag limit is 3 deer; that means you can combine bag limits from the 9 regions up to a total of 3, but you must consult the regulations with respect to the combinations (Mule/Whitetail and buck/antlerless). Also, the bag limit for the QCI is 15, but the possesion limit is 5. You can purchase special QCI deer tags (up to 15) or you can use 3 mule deer tags. If you do use the MD tags, then the QCI deer count towards your mule deer bag limit.

There is a good explanation that just came out in the new regulations. It is posted on the government website.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.