Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am considering one for my 8 year old daughter.I'm not sure yet if I want the 223 or 7.62X39.I am interested in a mild recoiling,light weight deer rifle.

What good factory deer loads will shoot well in the short 1:12 twist 223? I know we won't be shooting over 100 yards so I am sure it is enough to get the job done.I am just interested in what good factory loadings it will shoot well.I am very interested in the TSX factory loads from this rifle.

Also does anyone think the 7.62 is a much better choice? I haven't researched good ammo for it but I think it is more limited in choices.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7.62x39 has a few nice deer offerings out lately. Midway shows 123 gr TSX from Corbon and Doubletap. Should do very well on deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For an 8-year old, I would go with the .223 if you're not a handloader. My 7-year old great nephew (?) has taken game up to the size of red deer with his using factory ammo.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
mudhen
Do you know what factory loads he used or do you have any idea which loads his rifle shot well?

Do you think the 7.62X39 would have too much recoil or is your decision based on fewer loads available?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
when they do a 300BLK 16" in a kevlar stock, I will get in line.
and if they rig it to take an AR mag i'll fight to the front.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds good to me.Might as well make it stainless too.Also go ahead and modify the bolt to clear a lower mounted scope.

Only problem is,it would then cost $1200 and I would have other options.They have already nearly priced the standard 527 Carbine out of my consideration.It was a lot better deal at $475-$500.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really want a 527 carbine in 7.62 also!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would love to have one in 6mm-204, but I would like a .223 also. Think a 60 grain partition or 53 grain Barnes would work well?

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
How about 22 Hornet and go for neck shots?

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I got a 7.62X39 to use a a grandkid rifle. Acquired a second stock and cut it down so we all could use it. I tried handloads with 308 and 310 bullets in various weights and the little carbine shot them ALL well.

Then, two years ago, well before my grandkids got big enuf to hunt, I made the mistake of loaning it to a coworker for his son's first deer hunt. Of course, he busted his first two deer with it (using my handloads with 150 gr 30-30 FP bullets) and insisted his dad buy it for him! This was after I told his dad he could borrow it, but that it WAS NOT for sale!

The dang kid begged me to let him have it so, in a weak moment, I did. Then I had to turn around and find me another one. It is shooting just as well or better than the first one and is waiting for the oldest gk to use, maybe this year.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I think the 527 in 7.62X39 makes a dandy starter rifle.....as well as an old geezer rifle, too!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
300BLK
[Linked Image]
MAGAZINE Modification
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of the 7.62's and can't praise it enough. It is my favorite "fun gun". It shoots crap-o surplus stuff into an inch and Lapua soft points into 3/4". I have only killed one deer with it thus far but it was a bang-flop. I suppose the .223 would be a little lighter in recoil but the 7.62 just seems like a much better deer killer for the slight difference in recoil. I don't have kids but if I did, the 7.62 would likely be what I'd put in their hands.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 222 and it's a fun little rifle. I've packed it bear hunting a few times but haven't shot any deer with it. My daughter really likes it.

Last edited by Rogue; 06/24/12.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The .223 is where it's at for youth rifles. Especially for young kids. It's really made me a believer! Good bullets for deer, and plenty of target practice.

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I bought one in 7.62x39 when they were inexpensive for my daughter when she was 9 years old. She is very petit and now at 19 is barely 5 feet tall and weighs 95 pounds...so at 9 she was tiny. She has used that rifle to kill 5 whitetails stone dead with one shot from 25 out to 168 yards. She and her younger sister each used it to kill black bears. They both used it in Africa to kill impala and blesbok. I have killed 4 whitetails with it and all have been one shot kills. Ammo for all animals was cheap Russian bi-metal 123 grain Golden or Brown Bear loads. I have recently been shooting some Hornady Steel Case in it and they will shoot around an inch or less. It will not always fire Winchester or Remington factory soft point ammo without replacing the factory firing pin spring.

If there was ever a perfect first hunting gun for kids a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 is it. Cheap ammo to encourage practice, not picky about ammo as everything I have shot is hunting accurate, light recoil, light weight, well proportioned for kids and women, good balance-expecially with a Leupold fixed 4 power scope, durable and lethal. I prefer a 30 caliber hole and exit to a .223 any day...especially for deer body shots which is what most kids should be taking.

My brother has a full stock in 223. I like the rifle and it is very accurate. I have used it to kill a deer and seen him shot 2 bucks with the rifle. I am not impressed with .223 performance on deer and would not pick that caliber for kids.

Perry

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think a 537 kevlar in 7.62x39 with a 16" tube would be a bang-up seller.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had one of the Remington 799 models for several years. Overall it is the rifle I grab most.

As others said, I use .308, .310 and .312 bullets for different loads. Most of my loads are at , or less than 2,000 fps.

It really groups the Winchester 123gr soft points well and I bought 2 cases.

I left the 799 at my Ky. home. I bought a CZ 527 carbine yesterday for Tx.

I ordered a Weaver 1-3x20 and a set of lower mounts for it earlier today.

The trigger was crap out of the box. It took all of 10 minutes to adjust to a very nice pull with zero creep.

Now to find one in .22 hornet or .222 Rem.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
TERRY8mm
What lower rings will you be using? The need to mount a scope higher for bolt clearence was a major turn off for me on this rifle.If not for that issue,it would be one of my top choices.

I would love to see some pictures of the rig when you get a chance.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I used the Warnes on a .223. I'm going to try the Milletts on this one, just to see how they work.

I may contour the bolt root a little if needed. New bolt handles for the 527 are cheap. If I screw it up I'll just order a new one.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Are the Millets lighter than thoes chunky Warnes?

I would like to see your bolt work.I would strongly consider the 527 if I could mount a scope low.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
About 1/2 the weight. Some folks don't like them. I've never had an issue out of more than 30 sets.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Plus one for the 527...also come configured in bolt action by Charles Daly Mini-Mauser and Interarms. Previously loaded in Remington 798. I have two and both are excellent shooters. The terminal effecdt of the 7.62x39 in the Barnes load simply cannot be honestly compared to a .223 out to 150 yards which is the out limits of what most kids should ever be taking a deer anyway. This is NOT to belittle the deadliness of the .223, as I would not want to be shot by either, but if your kid can handle just a little more "push" (I dont say "kick" around the kids), go with the 7.62 and you will be pleased. You might even take it yourself when the kids dont go with you. I would not feel underarmed with it at all out to 150 yards--standard 30-30 range before the introduction of the Leverevolution.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Curious what worked out then and now? With the 300 BLK and the 6.5 grendel added to the mix to choose from what is the preferred micro action deer cartridge? balancing between knock down capability / forgiveness & recoil sensitive conscious choice.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’ve got a 223 version super slick rifle I wish they made the same exact gun in 308

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Curious what worked out then and now? With the 300 BLK and the 6.5 grendel added to the mix to choose from what is the preferred micro action deer cartridge? balancing between knock down capability / forgiveness & recoil sensitive conscious choice.

You can’t beat the price on cheap steel 7.62x39 ammo. I’ve got a 527 carbine coming from Buds and am looking forward to carrying it as a ranch truck fun gun.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PWN
I bought one in 7.62x39 when they were inexpensive for my daughter when she was 9 years old. She is very petit and now at 19 is barely 5 feet tall and weighs 95 pounds...so at 9 she was tiny. She has used that rifle to kill 5 whitetails stone dead with one shot from 25 out to 168 yards. She and her younger sister each used it to kill black bears. They both used it in Africa to kill impala and blesbok. I have killed 4 whitetails with it and all have been one shot kills. Ammo for all animals was cheap Russian bi-metal 123 grain Golden or Brown Bear loads. I have recently been shooting some Hornady Steel Case in it and they will shoot around an inch or less. It will not always fire Winchester or Remington factory soft point ammo without replacing the factory firing pin spring.

If there was ever a perfect first hunting gun for kids a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 is it. Cheap ammo to encourage practice, not picky about ammo as everything I have shot is hunting accurate, light recoil, light weight, well proportioned for kids and women, good balance-expecially with a Leupold fixed 4 power scope, durable and lethal. I prefer a 30 caliber hole and exit to a .223 any day...especially for deer body shots which is what most kids should be taking.

My brother has a full stock in 223. I like the rifle and it is very accurate. I have used it to kill a deer and seen him shot 2 bucks with the rifle. I am not impressed with .223 performance on deer and would not pick that caliber for kids.

Perry

Gotta agree with you, Perry,regarding the 223 on deer. I use the 223 most seasons and like it, but it certainly doesn’t have the knock down power or leave the blood trails of a 30 cal. IMO the 223 is best left to experienced shooters in ideal situations.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 527 in 22Hornet. I've killed does with it during our anterless season years ago. Great little rifle, but wouldn't recommend the .22Hornet for deers. I did it for meat deers, head shots only. I have an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel I have been using the last two years and can't say enough good things about the caliber. I don't think it has much if anymore recoil than a .223 and is a great round in a truly great little rifle now that it is offered in the 527. It would be my first choice for a youngster who would never really have to worry about another deer caliber rifle as they got older. I believe the recoil would be less than the 7.62 x 39 and the accuracy is outstanding for that 6.5 caliber round.

P.S., The single set trigger is a great asset when shooting paper and sighting in, but I wouldn't recommend it in the treestand in cold weather wearing heavy gloves. Don't ask me how I know.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Grendel Has been my preferred deer cartridge the last 4 years or so. 1st 6.5 grendel I owned was a CZ527 that I switched the 7.62 x 39 barrel out for a SS 6.5 barrel B4 ever even shooting the 7.62 x 39. CZ offered the commercially chambered 6.5 Grendel a little over a year later. That re-barrel was a 1 in 9 twist barrel whereas the factory CZ is the more common 1 in 8 twist. For my use I can't say 1 twist rate is noticeably any better than the other.

Lots of good options out there only a few calibers, commercially chambered in the CZ 527 that I favor for deer hunting. Other calibers can and do work. Yet the 6.5 and the 30 caliber offerings are the only options that I could recommend to one and all for work inside of 200 yards or so. If a 6 mm Grendel is commercially offered I could recommend that as well.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 11/29/19.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
CZ527 in .204 Ruger, but it isn't exactly a dedicated rifle for deer hunting for me. I felt that round and the 45 grain hornady was a bit light for this mule deer but it still worked just fine, in this instance at least.
I'd certainly feel comfortable starting someone off on smaller whitetails with a .223 Rem in the CZ527. I don't have a clue about factory loads for it though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
T Inman,
Where did you shoot that fella? What part of the body? I have no intention of shooting deer with anything less than my 223, but I’m interested to hear the details of how that buck was killed.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tight behind the shoulder, just like where I try to shoot everything else, as he stood broadside at about 60 yards.

He ran about 75 yards before topping over, which is a little longer run than I am used to seeing with that particular shot but not terrible, though he left next to no blood as the bullet didn't exit. One time deal that I don't plan to repeat for a bigger sample size. I'll stick to .224 bullets and up for deer/antelope sized critters, which I have much more confidence in.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I have one of the 7.62's and can't praise it enough. It is my favorite "fun gun". It shoots crap-o surplus stuff into an inch and Lapua soft points into 3/4". I have only killed one deer with it thus far but it was a bang-flop. I suppose the .223 would be a little lighter in recoil but the 7.62 just seems like a much better deer killer for the slight difference in recoil. I don't have kids but if I did, the 7.62 would likely be what I'd put in their hands.

That’s the one I want. Buddy has one. Slick little rifle and accurate with the cheap stuff. And a heck of a lot nicer than my Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks, T.
Nothing you said surprised me, but always interested in hearing about the results of such things.

Jeff

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
24 caliber and above for big game here in WA. If legal I'd pound deer with a 223 and handloads.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I’m using one in 6.5 Grendel & like it a great deal. Clean kill on the buck I took with it last season. For a youngster the 223 would have even less recoil.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Only surprise for me here Is no mention of a 300 BLK. On other forms I have seen mention of a good deal of success with 125 grain NBT on up to 150 grain Flat tip 30 30 bullets. For low recoil and rifle fit I aim to have my 9 year olson give the 125 GR NBT a go inside of 50 yards or so.

223 seems to get more fan fair for one reason or another as a youth deer rifle in most crowds.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 11/30/19.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by T_Inman
CZ527 in .204 Ruger, but it isn't exactly a dedicated rifle for deer hunting for me. I felt that round and the 45 grain hornady was a bit light for this mule deer but it still worked just fine, in this instance at least.
I'd certainly feel comfortable starting someone off on smaller whitetails with a .223 Rem in the CZ527. I don't have a clue about factory loads for it though.

Here in Louisiana .204 is a no no. Guy shot a nice trophy with one, even got a write up on a local sportsman rag. When wildlife folks read it, they arrested him, took his trophy, cost him some money.

Now, if he hadn’t admitted it. Ignorance of the law can/will get you canned. Those guys have no sense of humor. If they can get ya, they will. They got his trophy, he became their trophy. .224 is the min caliber for BG in LA.

DF

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have the CZ 527. Very nice gun.
It cost $619 back in 2008.

I'm not a hunter but I don't see why it wouldn't be good for mid size animals.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've owned several CZ 527s, including the 7.6x39. They are very nice shooting rifles, they just bug me with the magazine location. right at the center of balance for one hand carry. Anyhow, I never shot deer with any of them, just varmints, except the one in .221 Fireball. I loaded the old 50gr XLC ( Blue Darters I called them!) and killed an 80 pound shoat at 75yds. Tight behind shoulder, 50 cal exit hole. No running. Personally, I would go with the .223 and a lightweight Barnes or 64PP factory for deer. They can shoot it all year long, even as an adult. Assuming you live where .224 and up is OK. I have only used the .224 caliber in Utah and, of course, Texas. And, I agree, Game Law will pour it on you if they can!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/02/19.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Last 4 years a cz 527 in 6.5 Grendel has been my go to deer rifle. I am curious how long until a factory 6mm ARCbecomes an option? A lower recoil option for my 10 year old son is of interest to me. Perhaps Ill need to purchase my first Howa Mini b4 long.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 06/06/20.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I really think a lot of my CZ in 7.62. Yesterday I was out trying some loads with 123 Speer Gold Dot bullets. I haven't found that magic load yet, the most consistent running 2250 fps and 1.75" which will more than likely work fine inside of 100 yards, my max. I have tried A-1680, Rx7, and WC-844 and the later is showing the most promise at 31.5 grains. The 1680 gives the most speed but, the lack of accuracy is putting me off. I may work a little more with Rx7 or just load up the 844 and call it good.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am not fond of that protruding box magazine for a hunting rifle. Might be ok for a prairie dog hunt if one needs magazine capacity for volley fire. I’ll pass. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have two CZ 527's, one is a wood stocked American model .22 Hornet, the other a synthetic-stocked .223 M1 model, with the three-round magazine. Both are exceptionally accurate, with factory ammo. The triggers, in addition to the set feature, can be adjusted down to acceptable pull weights for overall use. Excellent rifles.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 527 American in .223 and it's a great shooter. I've killed one barbado sheep at 104 yards with the Nosler 50 grain ballistic tip handload at about 3200 fps. He was quartering towards me so I put the crosshairs on the point of the shoulder and squeezed it off. He went straight down and never moved. Other than coons, that's the only larger animal I've shot with it. 25.0 grains of IMR 3031/Remington 7-1/2 primer is my recipe.

I didn't have any luck getting any bullet over 62 grains to group decently due to the 1:12 twist. I dropped down to the 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip and that load puts them all under an inch.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In addition to my CZ 527 .223, I also have a Savage Axis II .223. For some reason, the ammo 'sweet spots' for both rifles are the factory Fiocchi 40 gr. V-Max, and the Remington ammo with a 62 gr. TSX bullet. I would not hesitate to hunt deer with the 62 gr. TSX, if it were legal where I was hunting.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Last 4 years a cz 527 in 6.5 Grendel has been my go to deer rifle. I am curious how long until a factory 6mm ARCbecomes an option? A lower recoil option for my 10 year old son is of interest to me. Perhaps Ill need to purchase my first Howa Mini b4 long.

If you reload, a 6 Creedmoor is an interesting option for a bolt gun. Reduced loads in the 6 ARC realm should be easy.

I recently picked up a very slightly used Ruger American Predator in 6 Creed, and plan on adding a Boyd's adjustable laminate stock so my son and wife can shoot it well. It'll likely be his first deer rifle this fall. Later I'll add a suppressor to the mix. :-)

(All that said, a 6 ARC upper is likely in my near future as well...)

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
63gr Sierra .223rem

6.5 Grendel would be my first choice for a youth deer rifle. 7.62x39 would be my second choice and is on my short list to get.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both the Howa Mini and Ruger American Ranch are also offered in 6.5 Grendel.

The Grendel may be a good compromise between the 223 and 7.62x39.

Be interesting if CZ, Ruger or Howa jump onboard the 6mm ARC bandwagon.

Given a choice between 223 and the Soviet round, I think the Soviet round wins.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by PreciousLiberty

If you reload, a 6 Creedmoor is an interesting option for a bolt gun. Reduced loads in the 6 ARC realm should be easy.

I recently picked up a very slightly used Ruger American Predator in 6 Creed, and plan on adding a Boyd's adjustable laminate stock so my son and wife can shoot it well. It'll likely be his first deer rifle this fall. Later I'll add a suppressor to the mix. :-)

It wouldn't fit a 527 action.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

That's true, and if that's an absolute requirement then the 6 ARC would be a good alternative. Better velocity for the same BC (lighter bullets) than the 6.5 Grendel, and plenty of power for deer sized game. It's better suited to predator/varmint hunting as well.

That said, a Ruger Predator (for instance) isn't much heavier than a 527, if any, and will shoot right with it. Even if you add an aftermarket stock its cost is reasonable, and likely less than the CZ. To each his own.

@AB2506, Howa committed to chambering the 6 ARC, so that mini is likely. List of some initial manufacturers is at: https://www.hornady.com/6mmARC#!/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dumped a deer at 400 yds with a 6BR 105 amax at 2850 mv.......

The ARC and Grendel to me are solid rounds to around 300, but can go further if using bullets that will expand while going thru vitals.

I see either a great choice, IF CZ would chamber in their carbine model as they do the 223 and 7.62. They need little barrel to burn powder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by PreciousLiberty

It fits an AR; why not a 527?

For those who, like me, dislike DMs that hang down and/or can't be loaded from the top or even single-loaded, this might work. Howa Mini, Oregunsmithing bottom metal. Available in .223, 6.5 G, and 7.62x39. 6 ARC in the works they say.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I’ve enjoyed a few 7.62x39 rifles. For such an ugly little cartridge it sure is fun to deer hunt and handload. I even pulled FMJ bullets from steel case Norinco ammo, and seated same weight soft point game bullets over the same powder charge, then crimped in place with the Lee factory crimp die. Then it didn’t matter how far into the briar patch the SKS flung the empties. When handloading good brass cases (Lapua) I would remove the op rod and use it like a bolt action rifle. The SKS was fun and accurate but ugly. Replaced it with CZ 527 in same. The 527 Carbine stock is not fun with scopes (eye alignment with low comb) but I see CZ later came out with the x39 in the American version, a good move! I now have, of all things (!) a Ruger No.1 in 7.62x39. Who would have ever guessed the x39 would be a Ruger No.1 chambering?!?!

Last edited by Alaninga; 07/03/20.
RLA Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 with the synthetic stock. I hope to get a shot at a coyote or pig with it.
picked up some Tula soft points for practice and coyotes.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I am considering one for my 8 year old daughter.I'm not sure yet if I want the 223 or 7.62X39.I am interested in a mild recoiling,light weight deer rifle.

What good factory deer loads will shoot well in the short 1:12 twist 223? I know we won't be shooting over 100 yards so I am sure it is enough to get the job done.I am just interested in what good factory loadings it will shoot well.I am very interested in the TSX factory loads from this rifle.

Also does anyone think the 7.62 is a much better choice? I haven't researched good ammo for it but I think it is more limited in choices.
The 7.62x39 is close to a .30-30 which we all know is one of the best deer rifles ever for shorter ranges. If you can find a good 130 grain bullet that shoots good in it I would think that's a better choice for deer.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was going to complain about the price point.

Then I remembered how much I already have tied up in 7.62x39 caliber guns and ammo. The point became pointless at that time.

And do not forget that you can buy an SKS and 2k of ammo for the cost of one CZ.

Even you Canadians are allowed the SKS, and you get them much cheaper than we do down here in the U.S.

And yes, a 7.62x39 will kill a black bear. The performance and power level are the same as a 30-30, so anything that you would tackle with a lever action 30-30 you can do with the 7.62x39.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’d never hunt with an SKS in this lifetime. I’d never hunt with cheap, plinker/defense ammo, either. I’d hunt with a 527 or Howa mini, no matter what it was chambered in. If range ammo for it was cheap, bonus. SKSs are high enough around here that your better off buying an AK or AR, for the purposes I’d find for an SKS. Just me. There’s a point where a gun is too ugly or ergonomically unfriendly to hunt with, and that covers most Russian-designed stuff, for me. My only hang up over the 7.62x39 is the bore/ bullet variations from .308-.312.....if it was a guaranteed .308, .or else, I’d probably feel better about it overall.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Like said earlier 527 has been a favored deer rifle for me for some time now. 6.5 Grendel barrel was recently removed to give a 22" 6mm ARC barrel a try this year. Grendel never disappointed me though I expect the 6 ARC will do just fine as well. All with the option of a little less push on a youth hunter.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
mudhen
Do you know what factory loads he used or do you have any idea which loads his rifle shot well?

Do you think the 7.62X39 would have too much recoil or is your decision based on fewer loads available?

The 527 has a reputation for splitting the stocks (from recoil) at the tang (7.62x39s only). It's a lot of cartridge for that action/stock. I think I'd try the .223, and use the Hornady 60gr. Whitetail Hunter ammo.
I have four 527s, I'm not a hater by any means, but mine are in varmint chamberings.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My 11 year old stepson will be using my 527 chambered in 6.5 Grendel tomorrow for our state youth deer hunt. I like the rifle but haven’t had a chance to hunt with it yet.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’ve got a 223 flavor I’ve killed a few wary gobblers at over 300 yards with 60 gr vmax hand loads it is Devine

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Don’t buy a cz527 in 223 assuming it will shoot nosler and heavy Barnes bullets. It’s a great rifle I love mine and every barrel is different so your results maybe different but I can’t get my 223 CZ527 to shoot 60 gr partions or the 55gr Barnes into groups smaller than a pie plate at 100 yards even got some hitting the paper sideways. It groups light weigh 40-50gr bullets well in every factory load I’ve tried and I have found a handload that groups well with a few different bullets in this weigh range but mine doesn’t like heavy bullets at all. I was told CZ has changed the twist rate in the 527’s in 223 since it was first released mine was purchased new about 20 years ago so beware your results may be different if you get a factory new rifle vs buying an older one.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Newer 527 .223s have a 1 in 9, don't know when it changed, but mine is 5 years old.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by E Blair
How about 22 Hornet and go for neck shots?

My grandpap had one he popped quite a few deer with in his last few years of hunting. Most were head shots. 2 were ribs. Found both but no blood trail.

Pap gave it to my son. His greatgrandson......
Fantastic little rifle

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My stepson got his first deer today with my, maybe now his CZ 527 chambered in 6.5 Grendel. This was my first time hearing the rifle fired while not having hearing pro on and was impressed with how “quiet” 6.5 Grendel with the 24” barrel is. Definitely not at all obnoxious compared to some bigger cartridges. He heart and lower lung shot it on a slightly quartering away small buck at 30 yards using factory Hornady 123 SST ammo. The bullet entered just behind the front leg and exited low in the chest and through the leg bone at the point where it connects to the chest leaving a nice round quarter or slightly larger size hole. The deer ran 40-50 yards leaving a steady blood trail the entire distance, not one of the massive Helen Keller could track it type of trails that you sometimes see but a solid smattering of blood droplets every few feet and heavy internal damage.

I started my own son off with a .223 and hand loaded 55 grain TSX that he killed several deer with. The blood trails were sometimes a little lighter than I liked for hunting around swamp edges but none went far and we always found them without to much work. As a sample of one and probably not surprisingly given the bigger and much softer SST bullet the deer ran about the same distance as those my son shot with his .223 but it left a better trail to follow.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hi All.
Consideration for less experienced/ recoil sensitive is wonderful. So is the challenge of placing shots " just so".
But can we, for just a moment, think about the critters? Deer in this case. This is a creature with blood and breath. Fully capable of feeling pain. And suffering.
Its not like punching paper or ringing steel where a bad hit is an " oh well".
My biggest buck, to date, was shot in the head from less than 100 yards. I had the deer in my scope, crosshaids on his chest, when BOOM! I didn't know the guy was there, but I saw the spray of a head shot.
I also saw the buck run off. The s.o.b. didn't even check the results of the shot. Never moved. I shouted over " You hit him!" The guy walked over to where the deer was standing. I walked away, figuring he would follow up.
I wandered around for a bit, and picked up a drip drop blood trail. Tracking practice is always good, so I follow it. About every 60-70 yards there'd be a big spray pattern. Whiskey tango? Now I'm curious! Followed this for almost a mile. No wobbles no bouncing off things, this deer was still strong. Just big sprays.
I got between a couple autumn olive bushes, and saw a deer, head down drinking from a trickle. I gave an " uurp!" and up came his head, a NICE 9 point, and down went the hammer on my 30-30.
FLOP. When I got to him, guess what? It was the head shot buck!
The round went in to the sinus cavity on the right side, just ahead of his eye ( that mesh are if you've seen a deer skull) and exited breaking the left jaw just down from the joint. The big sprays? I guess, was his attempt to clear clots so he could breathe?
The blood trail I was following was from this deer and was easy to track!
You can guess what I think of headshots and those who take them.
I feel the same way about calibers under .24. Do they work? Yes. And sometimes spectacularly. But if you NEED a blood trail, or hit bone... Its even harder for an inexperienced shooter, nervous enough already. If bump and blast are an issue, go with a Grendel, or x39, or maybe wait a bit until they're no longer an issue?
We owe it to our kids, to give them a wonderful experience. Have you seen a new hunter , who KNOWS they hit the deer, but can't find it? Heartbreaking...
We owe the animals we kill, the fastest, most humane death possible AND to recover them.
As the old saying goes " Use enough gun".
And wait for the best shot. Neither will be regretted.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We will be down to 2nd hand CZ 527's as choices B4 long as CZ has dropped THE 527 line up. Was happy to have this one recently chambered in 6mm ARC this fall.
[Linked Image]

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
63 gr Sierra is awesome especially considering your 100 yard maximum range. It shoots bug holes in every 22 centerfire I’ve ever tried and kills deer like lightning.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a CZ 527 kevlar varmint in 223 Rem. Have not taken a deer with it ( 1-9" barrel ). I like it a lot.

If I was looking for a CZ 527 for deer hunting, I would select one in 6.5 Grendel, no hesitation.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,218
Posts18,466,391
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.