-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the 1980s, when my grandmother was still alive, we visited a farm she used to live on, which was going up for sale. In the basement there were jars of apples, tomatoes, etc, that she herself had canned back in the 1930s and 40s. She took some home with her, but I don't know if she actually ate any of it smile

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sagebrusher
Back in the 1980s, when my grandmother was still alive, we visited a farm she used to live on, which was going up for sale. In the basement there were jars of apples, tomatoes, etc, that she herself had canned back in the 1930s and 40s. She took some home with her, but I don't know if she actually ate any of it smile
I doubt there was much nutritional value left in them. It all breaks down after a while, unless frozen solid in proper packaging in a deep freeze.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Sagebrusher
I doubt there was much nutritional value left in them. It all breaks down after a while, unless frozen solid in proper packaging in a deep freeze.

It didn't look very tasty, either.
BTW, I noticed my local K-mart had a bunch of canning supplies, but most fruits/vegetables haven't matured around here yet.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Nothing beats a vac packed 1911 though....
Can't think of a better way to preserve one long-term against rust in a high humidity environment like a bathroom where a shower is taken on a daily basis, that's for damned sure. wink

Or the cellar, also a typically damp environment. Put 5000 rounds of vac packed .22RF in ours last night that I have accumulated over the last few years. Figure it is as good a place as any to keep it, and safer than most.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Longbob
Canning jars are actually used by some for canning? I thought they were iced tea glasses.

Iced tea? Are you daft, they are for drinking likker out of. Sheesh, younguns these days.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I stand corrected. laugh

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beer works too...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jtown
Originally Posted by slumlord
I've had several little old ladies give me dozens of canning jars over the years,in addition to picking them up at yardsales over the last 10 years. We raise a large garden every year so we are already into the deal plus the wife's grandmother just 'pre-willed' us another 38 dozen.

I'll say this though, jars don't mean jack squat unless you've a large supply of rings and lids.

It's the lids(like primers) that are the limiting factor. In case any citified people don't know, lids are one-time use only.

Lids are always scarce around June, July, August- duh!!

You can get generic lids from Dollar General or other dollar stores. I have about 2thousand jars and several cases of lids.

stick with the standards- the wides are a bitch to find sometimes an like I said, go generic. Ball will buttrape you on lids.

Spot on, locating jars isn't a big deal, all the little old ladies that used to can have kept every jar they ever had and in most cases are more than willing to give them to someone wanting to can. Lids and rings is where it gets costly and hard to find. But most of todays people are too Damn lazy to can and would rather eat a microwaved meal. Worse beating I ever got was for shooting my pa's mason jars with a bh gun. Will never forget that one.

Bang on there. Lids can be hard to find at times, but stocks increase in spring/summer. I'm going to try some of the reusable type, and see how they work. Luckily I have plenty of jars and rings from past years and unopened cases of various sizes "just in case", no pun intended.

Just put up eight pints of hot sweet pickles yesterday from the first cucumbers out of our garden, and looking to do much more as the summer wears on. Good luck to all.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.