Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6623377 06/24/12
B
OP Offline
B
I just got drew the starkey unit for bow. I do not know anything about this unit. Does anybody have any information about this unit? Anything from where to set up camp or where to hunt. Any information will be helpful. Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know if this is the correct map for that unit but you may want to get onto the ODFW website and do some searching around there. Heres a map of the unit for bow season I believe:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/maps/controlled_hunts/unit%2052/252Dstarkey_experimental.pdf

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the response. I just bought a map for that unit. From what I've been told its a badass unit with some pretty big bulls.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've seen some real nice bulls up there and some dang fine mule deer......Good luck with your hunt...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you. I am pretty excited about this hunt. Im not sure when when the rut starts up there. I killed a bull last year around labor day weekend in the north side unit but it seemed we were a little early for the rut. We got caught by 3 bulls but we just kept using our cow calls and they could have cared less we were there. Awesome hunt.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool man, I like that unit because it reminds me of northern Nevada where I grew up....

BSA MAGA
B
OP Offline
B
North side?? Or starkey??

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've only been there once a long time ago but from what I remember guys like hunting the north side near rd 21...You may want to ask this question in the bow hunting section too....Good luck with your hunt...

BSA MAGA
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you and to you as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful country up there around La Grande.

As the map BSA provided, the draw tag for the Starkey Unit (52) is for the experimental forest (subunit of some number) and if my memory serves me correctly is only a five day hunt during the first part of the season (double check that as my recollection could be wrong). Also I believe your controlled/drawn tag allows you to hunt the general season bow hunt if unsuccessful in the starkey enclosed unit.

It's hard to compare the behavior of the very tightly managed elk herd on the experimental forest to those found on public land that get pressure from Joe Public.

If hunting the experimental forest, you've just become part of an experiment...nothing bad, just part of the study that goes on there is hunting pressure and they'll collect data on your behalf.

Best of luck on your hunt.

IC B3

B
OP Offline
B
That's what I hear. According to the regulations there will 20 of us in there. I do believe I have to wear a monitor while in the unit so they can keep track of me. Not a big fan of that but oh we'll if I get a nice bull it will be worth it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes, if you are hunting the experimental forest, they have asked folks to wear GPS units. A friend has worked there for about a dozen years, and says it's very interesting data revealing that even the archery hunters for the most part frequent the logging roads. Do some googling on elk and the Starkey Experimental Forest and one can also shake out some reports on how deer/elk respond to cattle, rigs, 4-wheelers, bikes, horse back folks, and people on foot.

So, get away from the roads and the crowds. No monster bulls because they can't really get down to winter range, but they do have 300+ bulls.

If one called ahead and scheduled some time with one of the researchers in the USFS Habitat Lab in LaGrande, he might be able to get a look some of those maps and cattle stocking schedules and figure out where the elk tend to hide when the hunters roll in.

Good luck,

Last edited by 1minute; 06/25/12.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.