Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by mike762
How do you get Rubio? He's not Constitutionally able to be VP or POTUS as neither of his parents were US citizens at the time of his birth. Oh, that's right; it's OK to violate the Constitution as long as it's "our guy" doing it.

I know very little about Rubio but would like to have several questions answered. I suppose I could dig through the Constitution and find out for myself whether the same requirements for native born, natural born, or whatever it says are the same for VP as they are for POTUS. What about the Speaker of the House who is second in line to be POTUS? Where was Rubio born? Is an anchor baby whose parents are not citizens able to be POTUS since that baby was born in the USA and has USA citizenship because of that. (I still have questions about whether that is really what the Constitution means in all situations, especially in the case in which the parents are in the USA illegally.)

I would be heavily opposed to having any candidate from either side put on a ballot for an office for which he/she is not qualified according to the Constitution.

GB1

R
Raisuli Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Calhoun,

There are two crucial questions to be answered: will he do it and, if he does will he replace it with a version of his own?

If the Court doesn't overturn it, we're stuck with it unless the senate can muster 60 members to prevent a filibuster. Were that the case, while Romney might be telling you that he'll overturn Obamacare, and I serious doubt he will, his out being that he's powerless to do it on his own without congress. Hence, do you really believe he will overturn it? Or do you believe it'll be overturned without another version of socialized medicine?

Romney is courting conservatives using campaign rhetoric. Were I a journalist, I ask him to sign a pledge that he'll do everything within his power to overturn Obamacare and not replace it with any other version. However, I am sure he'll find a weasel clause that'll get him out of his "promise".

Keep in mind the fiscal calamity that is Medicare and prescription drug benefits. The impetus of Obamacare was the fact that government cannot make good on these unfunded liabilities. They will sink our economy.

R

R
Raisuli Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
HugAJackass,

Talk is cheap. It's known as campaign rhetoric. Bush and both houses of congress. He could have overturned every gun control law and made abortion illegal. Why didn't he do either?

R

R
Raisuli Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
RichardAustin,

They are not mutually exclusive concepts. Cops cannot uphold the law without first assuring they're alive to do so.

R

R
Raisuli Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
NH K9,

Would you ever ask a motorist to hand you a weapon? Were you to spot a weapon in a car without first determining what you had allow it to remain within reach of the motorist?

R

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by heavywalker
The kid asked the cop if he suspected him of a crime and the cop said no, you should go back and watch the entire clip. It may change your mind about the situation. Not that the kid wasn't trying to get his 15min of fame but, the officer had no reason to stop him in the first place.
EXACTLY..

I often wonder in those situations, why, does the person receiving the call about someone carrying a gun explain to the caller that it is a legal activity. Then ask the specific question of the caller, "is the person engaging in any illegal activity" if the answer is no, then there is no reason to send the cops to harass someone for doing nothing wrong. Technically this is no different than calling the cops on someone for eating an ice cream cone, neither is illegal in any way.
Correct.

This reminds me of the clip from KQRS a few years ago about the guy in a Taco Bell who ordered a taco and only had two bills with him - a fifty-dollar bill and a two-dollar bill.. Since the total came to under $2, he handed over the two-spot.. The clerk wouldn't take it.. Long story short, the cops were called and the clerk wanted the customer arrested for attempting to pass a bogus bill. The moron had NO CLUE that a two-dollar bill existed - let alone being legal tender..

The customer held his ground, the manager gave him a free taco AND a soft drink, and apologized profusely..

This cop in the video should be doin' the same..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
No, I wouldn't ask anyone to hand me a gun. Hands kill, we all know that. As to the second, it depends.

For instance, we routinely run into guys (and girls) with rifles in pickups during hunting season. The vast majority of LEOs I know leave them alone. The individual that states "just so you know, I have a CCW and I'm armed" gets similar treatment, just as I learned from experienced cops when I was a "baby".

It would likely shock you (being from CA) how many folks I deal with that are carrying open. It's not something to get worked up about.

My mantra "treat everyone like a million bucks and have a plan to kill them all" works.

Geoge

Last edited by NH K9; 06/27/12.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A President doesn't have that power. Have you read the Constitution?

He DID appoint Judges that gave us the Heller ruling. Many States now have the right to alter their own Abortion laws...

Besides, we both know that Bush was no conservative.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
How do you get Rubio? He's not Constitutionally able to be VP or POTUS as neither of his parents were US citizens at the time of his birth.
That never stopped the a-hole we have now..
Oh, that's right; it's OK to violate the Constitution as long as it's "our guy" doing it.
No, the Emperor opened the door.. Now, everybody can just walk right in...

And for the record, I don't agree with it..

Last edited by Redneck; 06/27/12.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raisuli
NH K9,

Would you ever ask a motorist to hand you a weapon? Were you to spot a weapon in a car without first determining what you had allow it to remain within reach of the motorist?

R

In order to stop the motorist to begin with, an officer would need reasonable suspicion that a law violation was in effect.

If a motorist is willing to break one law, an officer can then reasonably assume that the motorist is willing to break others. Officer safety then comes into play.

If a perfectly legal car is sitting by a curb, and an officer walking by sipping a coffee, and sees a gun in a car, in a State were both open and concealed carry laws are in effect, then the officer has no ground upon which to remove the gun.

That's kind of the point here....

Rule of Law, cops need it too.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Pretty simple really. The Constitution requires that the POTUS be a Natural born citizen, which defined means that both parents have to be citizens of the US at the time of birth of the candidate. That's one of the reasons that there are questions about Obama's legitimacy.

Rubio's parents, and also Jindal's parents, weren't citizens at the time of their births, so neither are qualified to be POTUS under the Constitution, or VP, as the VP is next in line and having a non natural born in line for a job he is ineligible to hold would cause major problems.

If you want to make non natural born citizens eligible for POTUS, then change the Constitution through an amendment the way it is supposed to be done, but which has fallen by the wayside in the last 40 years of so.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep!

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
no it doesn't. the constitution unfortunately does not state what a 'natural born citizen' is and the law has deferred to 'citizen by birth' this has a variety of clauses but main are

As of 2011[update], United States Federal law (8 U.S.C. � 1401) defines who is a United States citizen from birth. According to that law, the following acquire citizenship at birth:
"a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof"
"a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe" (see Indian Citizenship Act of 1924).
"a person of unknown parentage found in the United States while under the age of five years, until shown, prior to his attaining the age of twenty-one years, not to have been born in the United States"
"a person born in an outlying possession of the United States of parents one of whom is a citizen of the United States who has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year at any time prior to the birth of such person"
noting that only one parent need be a US citizen.

The reasons that there are questions about Obama's legitimacy is that
(1) He is a democratic/liberal and people don't want him to be president for that reason and therefore they come up with issues like this to try and disqualify him
(2) He is black and people don't want him to be president for that reason and therefore they come up with issues like this to try and disqualify him

Vote him out. Encourage others to vote him out. This kind of reasoning is actually counterproductive, since none of the independent voters that we are interesting in attracting find it (1) important and (2) marginally feasable. When they hear it they immediately pigeonhole the speaker as conspiracy nutcase, instead of a conservative that has some interesting arguments about important rights to protect and fiscal responsibility.

Everyone that agrees with you, already doesn't like Obama. Of course, many of them won't vote, which is really more important then all the talk. This may make good gossip, but it is irrelavant and almost certainly not true, under the law, not you opinion of what the law should be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rational people have accepted that Ron Paul will never be president. Obama thanks you.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The question is, does Rubio qualify to be VP under the Federal Law. It's a valid question, especially if people were asking it of the current holder of the office.

The difference between the Dems and the Repubs, is that the Republicans actually ask these questions about their candidates.

Asking if somebody is legally qualified is what you're supposed to do.

Given the laws you stated, Rubio still doesn't qualify.

I like the guy, and think he'd do awesome at the job, but he's just not legally qualified to do so, unless of course there is some other court ruling that gives some sort of legal loophole, that I don't know about. That's entirely possible.

The Rule of Law is never counter-productive. It's essential.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How do you get Rubio? He's not Constitutionally able to be VP or POTUS as neither of his parents were US citizens at the time of his birth. Oh, that's right; it's OK to violate the Constitution as long as it's "our guy" doing it.

Sorry but you are WRONG. Rubio IS eligible.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Sorry but you are WRONG. Rubio IS eligible.

Jorge, you are up to date on immigration laws as well as anyone I know. Can you help me understand how he is eligible?

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't researched this, but wasn't Rubio born in Florada?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by NH K9
No government is viable unless it can control its people. In our country, politicians use laws to control us. When was the last time anyone has heard of a neocon proposing eliminating any law???

It's interesting that you can post that after, essentially, stating that you would have arrested the citizen in ME for open carry.

George

+1

Raisuli,

I agree with practically everything you wrote in your OP in this thread. However, it is appalling to me how you seemed to be so careless with our rights in your post in the ME open carry thread. "Office safety is paramount," you wrote. By that logic, an officer is justified to stop anyone lawfully walking down the sidewalk and shake him down, if the officer somehow fears for his own safety. Sounds like "Papers, please." Can you not see that it is impossible to both live in a police state, and to not live in a police state.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
I haven't researched this, but wasn't Rubio born in Florada?

Yes, but neither of his parents were. Nor were they citizens at the time of his birth.

The question of Obama's legitimacy comes into question as to whether his mother was indeed in one of the US possession for the "continuous period of time" required when he was born, and also whether he sued to regain his citizenship after his adoption by his mother's second husband, Soetero, and the renunciation of his US citizenship at the time of his adoption. The renunciation is required by Indonesia as they do not allow dual citizenship, and there are no records that Obama ever regained US citizenship after his adoption. Nor have any of the records been allowed to see the light of day, such as his college transcripts and what type, meaning foreign, student he was or was not.

Yeah, none of us like him, but only because he's red, not because he's black, and also because some of us really believe in the Constitution, and not only when it is favorable to us.

Jorge, please tell me where I'm wrong, instead of just claiming it to be so. Were Rubio's parents US citizens at the time of his birth, or not? If they weren't he doesn't qualify. If they were, then he is. It is my understanding that they were not, but you may have more insight into this than I do.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.