Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MattMan
Getting closer to Coues ain't always an option... or not a very good one at that. Can't fathom anyone who's never hunted them during an Oct AZ rifle hunt, or maybe even never been in the country he's likely to be hunting, musing about the ethics of shooting them at long range.

THAT said, back to the original question...
264 WM with 140 VLDs or AMAX is a tough combo to beat, delivering high BC bullets at high velocity with minimal recoil. I've had one or more since '02, and have since sold every 7mm mag and 300 in the safe. A buddy followed suit and last year got one, practiced all summer, and shot his buck at 672. To gain a notable increase in performance, you realistically have to belly up to the big 338s. That's a big jump.

Last couple of years, I've hunted Coues with a 22" 260, 140 AMAX. It's a good bit shorter and handier than the 264, and gets me to the 600 yard line with ease. And I've found that in most of the areas I hunt, I can get within 600.

You'd think after "practicing all summer" the barrel would be toast on that 264......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Why? I like to hunt deer. Not take pot shots from 600 yards away, that is not hunting, that is shooting. Coues deer are pretty skittish but you can get within 400 yards of them. How in heck do hunters get them with the bow and ML?

Last edited by Rene; 06/25/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You'd think after "practicing all summer" the barrel would be toast on that 264......

Can't see how a guy would think that if he'd actually owned and shot a 264 barreled with modern steel in an action less than 30 years old...

[Linked Image]

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
I just got off the phone with an AZ outfitter that mentioned, for the slightly easier draw unit in 2013, he can get me into some B&C-class bucks IF I'm able to pull off shots over 500 yards and in one area, between 600-750 yards across a mountain.

I have both a 270 Win. and a 300 Win Mag.; that said, both have 24" barrels and I was thinking of something different for next year.

Any other cartridges that might work even better at longer range? Maybe ballistically, a 6.5 or 7mm with lots of power?

Thoughts?

I'm going to go on a bit of a tangent so bear with me....

One can search my past posts or click on my signature to see where I stand on this, but ignoring anyones personal ethics, sportiness, etc., if you really want to be able to consistently make 600+/- shots it isn't going to be a cartridge change. The first question is what scopes/mounts are on your rifles? What are the average 5 round groups at 100 and 300 yards? That's average, not every once and a while but what your rifle will do every single time with no excused flyers? What is your distance shooting experience?

I do not have any experience with the new 27 caliber bullets such as Matrix, but I do with just about every other caliber and given your two choices and the small size of Coues I would lean heavily to the 300Win with 155 Scenars. As I'm sure you know, Coues are small deer and I would say that an 8-10 inch target would be target size to work with. Given that, while not the most important criteria, drop will be important. The 155 Scenars will give a good balance between drift/drop at your ranges. Then get a scope that is truly built for shooting at long range. Not a rebadged hunting scope.

The most important piece of it, and the one that will have more bearing on whether you will actually have the skill to make 600-700 yard hits vice just talking about it, will be going to a course and getting taught how to do it by someone that honestly understands LR shooting at animals, and honestly knows what they're doing.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by pal

Consider that military sniper rifles need to accurately take out targets at far greater distances than your deer hunt. And their choice is often the .300 Winchester Magnum...or larger! Maximum effective range INCREASES w/ bullet diameter. So why would you want a smaller bullet or feel inadequately armed using a world class, long range sniper cartridge?

The cartridges that the military selects for sniping is not based on ballistic performance first. In fact it is rarely a factor at all. All one needs to do is compare the standard issued military ammo for the 300WN (A191) to a 7/08 with a 162 AMAX at 500 yards..... It's illuminating.

The no fuss, no muss, top choice for med-long range is a 7mm Rem Mag (or like cartridge) with a 162 AMAX. It is a plug and play performer.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
John_Gregori,

Still a lot of good common-sense info in this post from Jan. 2012. Keep in mind, even a big Coues Whitetail buck has a vital zone about the size of a football, and a rifle that can consistently make first-round lethal hits at the ranges you are talking about is not one you are going to get very far from a vehicle with, unless you are a world-class athlete or equivalent, or maybe have a couple of sherpas (and a spotter with high-powered optics who knows what to look for).

They are very wary, blend in perfectly, and the wind can be all over the map. If you don't make a good hit, how many aimed shots do you anticipate as they are getting away? It can take an hour just to get to where the buck was when you fired, to look for blood or hair.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._foolin_best_factory_rifle_s#Post6084758

Best of luck,

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
One GOOD thing about Coues deer, is their comfort zone seems to be right about 300 yards. I killed a coues deer a couple years ago at 296 yards. He knew we were there, but wasn't bothered... Until he stood up and got a 100 TTSX through the lungs.

On the other hand, a 100 pound Coues deer can take up lead like you would not believe. I hunted with a guy in Mexico a few years ago who was shooting a (it was either a 338 win mag, or 300 RUM, cant recall). Anyways, his statement was "As long as I nick him, hes dead..." 5 shots later, the buck falls over dead.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

On the other hand, a 100 pound Coues deer can take up lead like you would not believe. I hunted with a guy in Mexico a few years ago who was shooting a (it was either a 338 win mag, or 300 RUM, cant recall). Anyways, his statement was "As long as I nick him, hes dead..." 5 shots later, the buck falls over dead.

How many hits in the vitals?

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
He finally managed to get one into the lungs.

I put 3 into the lungs with a .270 wsm before a spike finally died, and this buck, hit with a .257 wby, 115 VLD at 575 yards took about 25 minutes to die.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The answer to this question is fairly simple-

Can you, with any rifle you own, consistently hit a Coues-size vital organ area, at 600-750 yards? How about in a 10 mph crosswind? Maybe a 20 mph crosswind? How about uphill or downhill, say, at a 30 degree slope?

If you can pull off a killing shot, with 99 percent confidence of a clean kill, under the above conditions, then go for it.
If you can't answer this question with confidence, then don't even think about it.
Either find a new, more competent, outfitter, or just get closer.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John,

The humble .308win is used reliably out to 1000m by the tactical crowd and even at that distance, i am sure it has a enough steam left to deal with a small bodied Coues deer.

Truth is, distance shouldn't really be too big a factor in this choice. With high BC bullets, both the .270win and the 300win mag are more than capable of reaching out to 800yards.

The problem at extended ranges is estimating the wind, and you can't "buy" that type of experience, it only comes with practice.

Again, high BC bullets help and help considerably, but reading the wind is still very tricky..

Assuming both rifles are accurate enough,unless you have a suitable scope already, and I'd look at getting a decent scope with turrets and a mil dot reticle of some sort to match, preferably one where the reticle is in the FFP, plus a range finder and a Kestral wind meter.

I would then set up steel gongs out to 800yards, and practice, practice, practice like crazy.

Take a note book and record all the conditions for each shot, ie wind strength direction, turret settings and the result, even (or especially) for misses. That record will be an invaluable learning tool as you progress.

Best of luck,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 06/26/12.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
I just got off the phone with an AZ outfitter that mentioned, for the slightly easier draw unit in 2013, he can get me into some B&C-class bucks IF I'm able to pull off shots over 500 yards and in one area, between 600-750 yards across a mountain.

Thoughts?

WTF?! Seriously? You can't get closer than 500-750 yds? Sounds more like prairie dog shooting rather than hunting.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good idea. If you can hit prairie dogs at 750, then a deer is no sweat grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen Coues take longer to expire with monometals or hits outside the heart/lung area. I can't honestly say they're any tougher or different than any other game, other than that is a smaller area to hit, on average.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely they're not any tougher, I can't imagine anyone thinking anything to the sort.

A quick twist 22/250 or Swift is about ideal for them to most sane ranges.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
the one with krieger barrel.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
the one that you win the f-class matches at 600 yards with. the one that shoots a 5 inch groups at 700 yards.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Tell your lazy outfitter to get off his ass and get you closer. If he can't get you closer than 700 yards, he ain't much of a guide IMO. You're just as well off DIY.
obiviously you have never hunted coues.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have hunted Coues every year for 33 years now. To each their own, but I have to chuckle at the thought that you "need" to shoot them at 500+ yards, or that they could take 3 lung hits to put down. Go ahead and shoot them from as far as your skills allow, but be able to finish what you started, it's often more likely to wound at long range than miss clean.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
After 33 years... Lets see some pix.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 23 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.