Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hi Vel (Jerry) approached me about evaluating his new Reticle-Tru reticle alignment tool. I agreed to check it out and he sent me a sample. It is designed to assist in aligning a scope reticle, true with the gun, when mounting a scope.

I've been mounting scopes on rifles for many years and it's always been a hassle to get the reticle perfectly straight. The hardest to deal with were the original Weaver rings with screws on one side. Tightening those screws would draw the scope slightly, so the reticle that stated straight, ended up canted. The newer Sure Grip Weavers have screws on both sides and are much easier to deal with. Those original Weavers were a test of one's religion...! blush

It's hard to watch the reticle and align the scope, all at the same time. I often back off so I can see glimpses of the reticle as I visually try to align the crosshairs with the vertical axis of the gun. I've even tried to align the horizontal wire with the top of a flat base, anything to index the inside of the scope with what's going on outside the scope.

Case in point. With my new Leupold VX-6 1.5-6x24, with German #4 reticle, I took great pains to mount it correctly on my 9.3x62 Mauser, as posted below.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6629536/3

I aligned the reticle as I always have, checked and re-checked, convincing myself it was straight.

I then attached the Reticle-Tru to the eyepiece with the supplied rubber band. I aligned the vertical wire of the reticle with the machined slot in the tool, then backed off to check it out. It was obvious, from the indicators on the Reticle-Tru, the scope reticle was slightly canted, like 12:02, rather than 12:00, straight up. I loosened the ring screws, aligned the bottom pointer on the Reticle-Tru, dead center with the rifle bolt, tightened the ring screws and rechecked the reticle. It was perfect.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a very simple tool that should last forever. The only wearing part is the rubber band. This tool helps externalize the reticle alignment to better facilitate alignment of the scope with the rifle action, using reference points milled into the tool body.

Jerry is in the pre-prodution phase and doesn't yet have a price point. I think he's still working with the Patent folks.

I hope he can get it to market, as it's a "better mouse trap", so to speak. There are other devices designed to aid in reticle alignment. I think this one can hold it's own with any of them. It's simple to use and it works.

My disclaimer: This product was given to me to evaluate. The donation was not linked to my opinion, which isn't for sale, BTW. Jerry was very clear that he wanted my objective opinion and that's what I've done my best to express. If I didn't like it, I would have told him so, just privately... laugh

DF

BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Cool little gadget, looks very simple to use, and Yes, should last next to forever, and we all must reduce or better yet completely eliminate "cant", specially if your gonna stretch 'em out a bit.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow!

I think this tool trumps all the reticle levelers on the market.

I really like the V-block to center the slot and the pointers to line the tool up to dead center on the bolt.

When can I buy one and why didn't I think of it first?

Very nice work Jerry and wonderful ingenuity on your part! Hope you sell a million.

Thanks for the post DF.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I worked a bit on that first photo. I've got to get a new throw down for pictures. That one is an old plastic packing sheet that's showing age and dirt.

I rotated the photo and cropped it some to better show how the indicators on the tool can be used to establish the center line and axis of the gun. Closer scrutiny shows that it may be a hair off from perfect alignment, but it's close. This demonstrates just how sensitive the tool can be regarding true alignment. No way could one see the reticle that well and align the scope with such precision.

DF

[Linked Image]

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want one!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Me too!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Group buy!! smile

BASR
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent idea.

Put that mill into high gear Jerry!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's looks really neat and simple! DF keep us posted when it comes into production.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
me three.

Good job.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I want one too!

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice work Jerry simple but effective. I want one

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
now that you have shown it to the world the chinese will have one on the market first. grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hubert
now that you have shown it to the world the chinese will have one on the market first. grin

laugh

That's about right...

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I need one of these!

Molan Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Excellent idea.

Put that mill into high gear Jerry!

I think Jerry has some preliminary work to do before he puts it out. Our interest, giving him an idea of the numbers he needs to make, should be an assist to his logistical planning for the first run.

I think he's got a good one.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If it's good enough for you guys it's good enough for me....count me in too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Good, simple and interesting ol' american engineering.

Would be interested to buy some as soon as available if price is honest. To test and present to gunsmiths and hunters who mounts lots of scopes.
Can help to save time a bit and even more nervous breakdown when using old style Weaver rings...

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jerry's got to refine some of the logistics and production options to get to the right price point. He's working on it.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was just in a discussion about indexing a BAR, Rem 742, Rem 760, etc. There is no bolt to use as a reference point.

With those, I have placed a straight edge along the side of the receiver and indexed the reticle on that. I think one could use the side of the Reticle-Tru as a guide for a parallel index with the straight edge.

I've not yet done one of those with the Reticle-Tru, but think that technique would work.

DF

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.