Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Looks great, Jerry. Count me in for one too.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Count me in. I need one of these.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I want one!

Brazos Jack

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a YouTube piece showing some more photos of the tool and how it works.

DF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27qDawDYlA

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Jerry sent me one last week and I got to give it a try.....pretty sweet deal! He's not getting it back.....grin!

FWIW, Jerry and I go back almost 40 years. Describing him as a pefectionist is an understatement. Everything he builds is a work of art and as near to perfect as humanly possible.

[Linked Image]

Getting it right easily and quickly is what this tool is all about....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like your shop and your "toys"... smile

I think Jerry's developed a winner, again, with the Reticle-Tru.

I hear by way of the grapevine that's he quite an artist. Those creative juices must be flowing... laugh

And, if you check his website, everything is done in Wyoming, down to the last detail.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Put me down for one in the group buy too, great idea.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it sat on the scope base like the "Reticle Leveler" I'd be an owner as the "reticle slot" is brilliant.

Without the ability to "seat" to the receiver squarely, that brilliance is moot.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That assumes that the receiver and the scope base are both manufactured perfectly.

I think the fact that it DOESN'T assume those things is the brilliant part.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Totally disagree as there's no way, apart from fallible eyesight, to know if they're even close.

I'll take my chances with the machining as, after all, that's what we're judging.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having worked in aerospace machining quality control for many years I know that the human eye can lineup four points to within .002".

I also know how often holes drilled and tapped on a cylindrical surface can be off center. Pretty often. Especially when using very small bits and taps despite being center drilled with a rather rigid centerdrill.

Can't wait to test my Reticle-Tru out.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was comparing notes with Jerry, known as Hi_Vel here on the campfire, about our individual creativity and inventions. I had already used and seen the value of his Scope Alignment Bar, but a tool to cure canted scopes, this had me salivating.

My invention is the large green one in the first picture and is used for recovering full rotation in your shoulder after rotator cuff surgery. Jerry's is the little white blob in the same picture.

My invention is for the Medical Journals as no one here will probably see the value of mine, so I will describe Jerry's as it is almost as simple and elegant as mine, hence the title of this thread.

The real value in the Reticle-Tru tool is that it doesn't incorporate a level, which can give a user too much confidence in an aspect of scope leveling, that could prove flawed. A level is only as good as you can mount it, as good as the level itself is and how well you could mount the level on the rifle and have the rifle square to the level.

Forget all that level stuff, I mounted the tool on my scope and put the rifle in the vise tipped to the right to show the value of the alignment in relation to the front sight and the center of the tang on this rifle. It is important that you use a constant to align everything on the rifle in accordance to the barrel and action, not aligning the tool to the center of the scope cap as it could be off-center and that is what you are trying to avoid.

Once the tool is mounted by simply attaching it to the rear of the scope with a special synthetic expansion memorizer, (rubber band) and then sighting the top and bottom points of the tool to the center of the barrel, I used the front sight on this rifle, and the center of the stock or tang of the action, to get a true reading of a perfectly vertical crosshair.

Then you look through the tool as if you were sighting the gun and see just how far off true vertical your scope really is. I have a bunch of rifles to correct as I have always held the gun up, judging vertical by how well I was actually holding the rifle in comparison to the earth and hoping I set the scope accordingly.

This tool simplified and perfected that process in one easy maneuver. This may not be the greatest invention next to my Therapy Device, but for the people reading here, it will no doubt have many more applications.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like a useful device. If you pulled the bolt and chambered an unprimed case, that would provide a precise point of reference for alignment with the lower point.

Count me in for the group buy too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does the device assume that the reticle is true..ie not canted ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The device is used to true the reticle.

What this device assumes is that the bolt and the barrel are centered along an axis drawn through the bore center.

You center the top pointer over the barrel and the bottom pointer is centered over the bolt center.

The V-block machined into the tool centers the tool on the scope.

You then look through the reticle slot and align your reticle to it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Neat idea!

I'll try one out.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I do my damned best to align my scopes by eye and when I think I have got the retacal pretty damn level, my shooting buddy, who has an uncanny sense of "level-or-not-ness", takes one look through my scope and says, "Your scope's canted". I'm in for one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rj308
I do my damned best to align my scopes by eye and when I think I have got the retacal pretty damn level, my shooting buddy, who has an uncanny sense of "level-or-not-ness", takes one look through my scope and says, "Your scope's canted". I'm in for one.

Same exact thing here!

I used to tell him he was canted but I always had to admit he was right after the SOB left! laugh

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I want one too! Come on Jerry, give em up!

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Does the device assume that the reticle is true..ie not canted ?

I think one would have to assume the reticle to be properly aligned in the scope. FOst had a new VX-6 with a canted reticle that he sent back to Leupold. They fixed it and he now has it.

This tool will greatly assist in aligning the reticle with the gun. The alignment of the reticle in the scope is another matter.

DF

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 52 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.