Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Just curious, what's Devcon actually for? Where can it be found for sale? Is it expensive?

Devcon is an industrial grade two-part epoxy with embedded metal particulate. It's extremely -- and I mean EXTREMELY strong when cured. It has zero shrinkage. Again, I've used a lot of them, so I'm not just speaking antecdotally. I am sure that JB Weld will produce an acceptable bedding job, but it is not DEVCON and never will be. When Devcon is fully cured, it's a job to work it down with a Dremel, and forget a file. For what it's worth, Marine Tex is nearly as good, and you can get that from any marine supply store (gray is actually black).

If you go with Devcon, be sure to get part# 10110. They make other stuff, but you want #10110. The working time is ample (like an hour), and it won't cure so quickly on you that you have to rush. Consistency is perfect for bedding (not runny). I usually just Google it and get it from an industrial supply website. You're never going to find this at Home Depot, but that's because it's an industrial grade specialty item that your average Joe isn't going to pay for. $45 will get you enough to do half a dozen rifles.

Again, if you can't find Devcon, go with Marine Tex (gray) and know that you're getting something identical in properties and just as good.

Last edited by richardca99; 06/30/12.

Chris
GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I bedded an old rifle that I had using this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...ody-filler/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=61761

It worked out wonderfully. That stuff can be found at your local Auto-Zone, O'Reilly, Pep Boys, Kragens, & the like if you need some immediately. It is water/chemical resistant and works on wood, plastic, aluminum, metal, etc;

The price is right as well. I also used the paste wax for a release agent. This was my first attempt and it worked out flawlessly. I spent about a week prepping for the actual bedding event, even going through a couple dry runs trying to anticipate and plan for anything that happened along the way. I can tell you that once dry, that is some HARD stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Just curious, what's Devcon actually for? Where can it be found for sale? Is it expensive?

Devcon is an industrial grade two-part epoxy with embedded metal particulate. It's extremely -- and I mean EXTREMELY strong when cured. It has zero shrinkage. Again, I've used a lot of them, so I'm not just speaking antecdotally. I am sure that JB Weld will produce an acceptable bedding job, but it is not DEVCON and never will be. When Devcon is fully cured, it's a job to work it down with a Dremel, and forget a file. For what it's worth, Marine Tex is nearly as good, and you can get that from any marine supply store (gray is actually black).

If you go with Devcon, be sure to get part# 10110. They make other stuff, but you want #10110. The working time is ample (like an hour), and it won't cure so quickly on you that you have to rush. Consistency is perfect for bedding (not runny). I usually just Google it and get it from an industrial supply website. You're never going to find this at Home Depot, but that's because it's an industrial grade specialty item that your average Joe isn't going to pay for. $45 will get you enough to do half a dozen rifles.

Again, if you can't find Devcon, go with Marine Tex (gray) and know that you're getting something identical in properties and just as good.

As I said, JB's is simply too soft. It's fine for certain applications where being "soft" is a good thing (I use it to mount scope bases on all my rifles), but it's not really up to other epoxies like Devcon, Marine-Tex or Acraglass (which is darned good stuff).

I worked with epoxies for quite a few years. We ordered ours in 55 Gal drums and I used a huge variety of them for different applications... have also bedded at least 50 rifles, so I guess I know a little something about epoxy.

JB's, IMO, is best left to chores other than bedding...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used a lot of epoxy over the years, for adhesive, lamination and filling applications.. Not just painting floors.. grin

JB Weld will be stronger than the underlying wood or fiberglass when mixed an cured properly.

IMO, it's plenty strong and I'll use it again without hesitation.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why use an inferior product when there is better available? Why not make a bedded platform as solid as possible? There's a reason pillars aren't soft...

Personally have never "painted floors" (epoxy isn't painted on), though we did trowel miles of the stuff for Co's like Dow Corning to McDonell Douglas and CAT. Typically 1/4" applications.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I totally admit the greatest appeal of JB weld is the ability to get small quanities at a variety of locations for a reasonable price. If devcon made small syringes of 10110 readily available that could be picked up at Home Depot for $5 we would probably not even be having this conversation.

Everytime I have used JB for a bedding job it was based on immediate availability, not because I thought it was a superior product. Besides if you get devcon you can use the extra to texture all of your stocks, something JB is way to thin to use for.

I was initially swayed to thinking JB was good stuff when I saw that Darrel Holland includes it as the epoxy of choice in his bedding kits but after using them side by side I reach for devcon no matter how much my wallet complains.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hint for future reference: I buy Acraglas Gel shop size kits, 4 ounces of each part I think. Over time or cool temperatures the white component (hardener? don't recall offhand) can crystallize and get lumpy. Gentle heating double boiler style and some stirring returns it to normal. You don't actually have to cook it, I use hot tap water. Would likely work with other epoxies that do that to you. Never had to try JB for bedding with the shop kit on hand. Gets used for stuff besides bedding too.

I usually have JB Quik on hand for the short cure time or when I need a little and strength isn't a big issue. Strength because I squirt a dab of each part on a 3x5 card and mix. Should be as close as practical to the proper ratio for best strength, some epoxies are more tolerant than others.

I think you mentioned coloring JB. Since common epoxies share the same chemistry the Acraglas dye should work fine with JB. Have used it with other epoxy with good results.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,433
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.