Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TMR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Standard BDL bottom metal. OAL is 3.65-3.7". Will just fit into a standard Remington mag box.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, right on! That's pretty dang cool.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I get 6.1 mils of elevation at 1000 yards asl using the Litz model. Impressive.

Last edited by Grand; 07/02/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Want to sell it?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This one runs within 30fps of my STW with the same length barrel with 8gr less powder.

At the same pressures?

IC B2

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Danny1788
Thats impressive to say the least Travis! The STW you built me is amazing wish i would have waited a little longer for you to design this one, what powder are you using in the ROUGE? But I do have to ask this, if you had a reamer with the same throat angle and everything setup for the vlds in a 7mm STW do you think the ROUGE would still compete with it or would the stw move up to RUM speeds?

Dude, seriously, rouge is warpaint chicks put on their faces. shocked

If that's not a 'real' rifle, I can't wait to see what a real one looks like.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
T
TMR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by SU35
This one runs within 30fps of my STW with the same length barrel with 8gr less powder.

At the same pressures?

I wish I had a way to measure pressure. I do know that I am at 9 loadings on this group of cases and the primer pockets are still tight. I could never get beyond 4-5 loadings on my STW brass when pushing it and using more powder.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TMR
I have burned up 8-9 STW barrels, and I have a bunch of experience with them. This one and the Mashburn do virtually the same thing with less powder. This one runs within 30fps of my STW with the same length barrel with 8gr less powder.

Travis ,great work! Very impressive cartridge!

I think this is interesting.....the 7mm Mashburn Super was actually the third Mashburn 7mm wildcat,one being based on the the same type case as the 7RM and Weatherby,and another based on the FL,blown out H&H case,similar to the STW and 7mm/300 Weatherby.

What he found was that the intermediate length case,the third,did most of what the FL H&H case did,in a more "efficient" design and more than the shorter case...hence, the name 7mm Mashburn Super.

Later Bob Hagel came to the same conslusion with the 7mm/300 Weatherby,and if you dig far enough back in Rifle Magazine, you will find the article on this comparison.He found the Mashburn Super to be only slightly exceeded with the heavy 175 gr bullet, but not at all with 160's and down.

What I find interesting is that Travis has obviously put a lot of shop and range time into this and has come to basically the same conslusions....even with the passage of 60+ years and more modern propellants.

Apparently there is a "sweet spot" in 7mm magnum capacity,and materially exceeding it does not necessarily provide signifcanttly more velocity...or at least not enough more to make it worthwhile in barrel lengths customariy used for hunting.

I like that Travis optimized the throat length and angle specifically for the 180 gr bullet....3200 for that slug is very impressive and I will bet it packs the mail. grin

Which is "better", the Rogue or the Mashburn, is really pretty moot...what is significant in my mind is that both Art Mashburn and Travis did the homework to optimize a 7mm magnum wink :)as a potent LR hunting rig using commonly available (300 Win Mag) brass,that fits handily into many commonly available actions...that their work is separated by 60 odd years tells us that a good idea is still a good idea regardless when it was done.

Now wildcatters have something else to choose when looking to optimize 7mm Magnum performance.

Kudos ,Travis! Nice work!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
TMR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks Bob! Mashburn hit in on the head with the correct ratio for sure. This design just kinda integrates it with the modern accuracy cartridges and propellants. I have played with alot of 7mm wildcats, including ones based on 338 Lapua Imp cases. This one and the Mashburn are by far the most efficient that I have found.

Here is a pic of a comparison. You can see, the 7 Rogue has a little capacity edge on the Mashburn, but not much.

From Left to Right...7 Rem Mag, 7 Mashburn, 7 Rogue
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Travis,

That's a beauty! Both the rifle and the cartridge look great! How much you want for one? grin

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got a 7 RM ADL that I'll volunteer to get punched.... all in the name of research of course....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
If you have a minute put up a pic of the Rogue the Mash and the RM.

+1

I'm very interested in this cartridge...

T
TMR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Comparison pic is on page 3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Neck length doesn't look too different to the naked eye, but that shoulder angle sure is. Looks like a Mashburn AI wink

Did you develop the specs all on your own and have a reamer/dies made up?

How are you forming, did you have a case forming die built our are you just using the FL, fireform, FL method that many are using on the Mash now?

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could you post a pic of the reamer print?

thanks
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
T
TMR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Sorry, the reamer is proprietary to us, so I won't be posting a pic of it.

The neck is a little shorter than the Mashburn, shoulder angle is adjusted slightly but still in the 30-35* range. This moves the shoulder ahead slightly from the Mashburn and gives it a few more grains of capacity. I did develop the specs and have the reamer designed.

Forming is pretty easy. Run a 300WM case through the 7 Rogue FL sizer and shoot it. I have been running full power loads in the new brass with no issues at all. Like the Mashburn, its only blowing the case out slightly at the shoulder, so really its like a piece of virgin brass in a standard chamber.

Last edited by TMR; 07/03/12.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Oh sure, hang the carrot... Very nice smile

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TMR
Sorry, the reamer is proprietary to us, so I won't be posting a pic of it.

Im a numbers guy.
For me building a rifle without seeing a print, would be like buying a car without seeing it.
In either case, something I would never even consider
Just not how I roll.
Good luck with your project.

dave

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Im a numbers guy.

Good thing..... 'cause you're obviously not a linguist....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tool and die makers cant spell.
dave

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.