Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Offhand, I can also remember articles about accurizing No. 1's from Jon Sundra and Ross Seyfried.

I've written a number of articles involving getting No. 1's to shoot. The easist technqiue I've found is to buy one of the rifles made in the last 20 years or so, since Ruger started making their own barrels--or one of the very early No. 1's with Douglas barrels.

I've owned at least a dozen No. 1's made since 1994, and would guess that at least half have shot very well out of the box. The only accurizing technique I've used on the ones that didn't shoot was epoxy-bedding the tip of the forend to stabilize it, and making sure the rear of the forend wasn't pressing hard against the front of the action.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I got my information from a Sundra article back in the mid to late '70s. One trick was to use an o-ring around the forearm screw or to use a small piece of inner tube to create forend pressure, but those were only short term treatments. Changes in humidity would likely cause a change in the forearm pressure.

The long term fix was to glass bed the three contact points and then sand just enough wood from the rear of forearm to give clearance.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
MD,

My less than humble opinion ( grin) is, the the Ruger No.1 is the most beautiful, gracefull production rifle ever produced by anyone. This from a guy who isnt really a Ruger fan. Sadly, the No. 1 has the rep of not being very accurate.

The first I ever owned escaped the factory with an exceptional piece of walnut and will put 5 handloads into around an inch. I have never touched a screw on it nor will I ever. It is an early rifle in 6mm and prolly has a Douglas barrel.

It would be great if someone could 'crack the code' that turned them all into good shooters.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you are not succeeding with changing this and that on the rifle- I would suggest you give the reloading dies a thorough cleaning and reset them. Also weigh the components to make sure of the bullet weights and such. Best I can do.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had this happen to me. it ended up being a bad batch of primers.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
MD..,

Legend has it that some one, years ago, wrote an article on "Accurizing the #1". Maybe as far back as the 80s. I searched for that article for years, never found it, and no longer remember in which mag it was supposed to have appeared.

As I remember, it involved somehow free floating the forend, maybe glass bedding the portion where fore end meets hanger, and perhaps glass bedding the contact points of the butt stock.

So, if some jaded gunwriter in search of material had a mediocre #1 and the time and where with all to play with the bedding, he might have the basis for an article and could even become a hero to frustrated #1 owners.

Just a thought. whistle

O
Ross Seyfried wrote an article way back when about floating the forend and using the hanger screw tensioner method.
Works super with a No.1 that won't group, not so much with one that already will!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07/05/12.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well,

My bet is still on the wood shifting on this particular rifle.

Yep..............I actually replaced wood stocks on some #1's with synthetic stocks for that very reason.

Since most of the potential issues have been discussed, I'd also look at the fore end contact against the receiver.........on #1's I've always made sure that there is no contact pressure there at all as that can also cause problems.

MM

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.