Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Given a choice, I'd select the Partition every time. I'd save the Fusions for muleys, white tails and pronghorn. The Fusion is essentially a cup & core bullet as others here have pointed out.

The 140gr TSX? I haven't, maybe some will chime in but certainly that TSX has premium status.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
130 grain 270 win bullet was recovered in the offside ribcage of a small whitetail buck. Fusions have been very accurate in the rifles I have tried them in. I would stay with heavy for caliber bullets for deer. partition much better choice for elk imo.[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fusion? That looks like the one I looked at pulled out of the aforementioned antelope.

A 150 Ballistic tip worked on a cow elk this year with my 270, no problemo.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Welcome to the fire. Partition is tried and trued, one heck of a bullet. The construction of the fusion is not even in the same league as the partition. Good luck hunting, BSA.

No one can argue with the history of the Partiton and it's performance on game. I'll toss in various bonded bullets as well.

Simply no shot angle or distance a Partition won't work in.

The .270/150 combo would be flat out perfection IMHO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_G
Back in the days before premium bullets, a .277, 150-gr cup and core bullet would be considered fine for elk. The Fusion, despite the hype about the fused jacket, is nevertheless a cup-and-core design. It should work just fine on elk, but the Nosler Partition will work a lot more finer.

The Fusion bullets are not cup-and-core bullets. Instead of starting with a cup and inserting a lead core before final forming, the Fusion bullets start with a lead core and electroplate the jacket to the core. The result is a bonded core bullet.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Nosler Partition hands down!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The Fusion bullets are not cup-and-core bullets. Instead of starting with a cup and inserting a lead core before final forming, the Fusion bullets start with a lead core and electroplate the jacket to the core. The result is a bonded core bullet.

It's NOT a bonded-core bullet like an Accubond Or Trophy Bonded. Not even close.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A lot of people assume that bonding the jacket to lead-core rifle bullets results in all sorts of magic--but at least half of their terminal performance depends on the jacket.

Fusions have a thin jacket and a pretty soft core, so they expand rapidly and widely, the reason they kill deer-sized game so well. But the same combination doesn't guarantee deep penetration!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
fusion was (is) designed for deer, not elk. while i'm certain someone has killed an elk with a 150gr fusion out of their 270, why limit yourself to a bullet NOT designed for the game you are hunting. i suggest the partition is the better choice. ymmv.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

It's NOT a bonded-core bullet like an Accubond Or Trophy Bonded. Not even close.

The bonding process is very different but I don't know what else you could call an electro-plated jacket as there is a molecular bond between the lead core and the jacket. There is no such bond in cup-and-core bullets.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just to play devils advocate here....how many times have we seen posts/replies that state outright you don't NEED a premium bullet for elk? I mean how much different would a C&C cheap box Rem or Win be from the Fuzion bullet, especially in a heavy for caliber weight like the 150's in 270 or 180's in 30-06?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Advocating something other than standard construction cup and core bullets like Hot Cores or Interlocks or Sierra Game Kings/Pro Hunters is different than advocating (some) Ballistic Tips, SSTs or apparently even Fusions.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
373 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.