Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
anyone have a Dan Crotts knife? Hard to find any pictures of, or any intel.

Had a Dozier previously, and never used it. It was sold on here to an AK guy. I am familiar with Bob's knives, and would guess that Dan has built most for Bob under Bob's name and shop. So I am not really questioning his workmanship.

Just looking for hands on reviews. I am thinking of getting one of his Model 1 drop point knives.

Of Bob's Columbia River Skinner.

However I did call Dan's wife and she has some info coming to me via mail, but she did say Dan's turn around was weeks not years.

May have to do one of each. Get on from Dan by February and then one built to my specs from Bob next year.

Any pics would be a great help.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
google not working on your pc? laugh

I get a lot of hits on his name.

Sam......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I picked up a #1 for my wife,it has very nicely figured myrtlewood scales and comes with the horizontal khydex sheath.It made short work of her last years whitetail.Her knife is in D2,and I think it's very good value for the money. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They sure look good and I hear many good things about them. Michiganknives.com usually has some in stock if you check their website.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I own a blade Dan made on a Walter Brend design. It is in S30V and is a monster cutter. Nice Wilderness sheath too.
IMO, you can not go wrong with anything from Dan.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by WTM45
IMO, you can not go wrong with anything from Dan.

+1, Good stuff.... Used Dan's Semi Skinner this past fall on 3 deer and quite pleased with it. Ordered another for a Christmas present; looking forward to getting it next week.

[Linked Image]

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 4 of Dan's knives

2 Model 1
1 custom skinner
1 Walter brend skinner

I just got back from hunting Iowa last weekend. Our party killed 16 deer. I used the model one all weekend and it field dressed 8 deer. It was still going strohg and would shave my arm hair.. the last night I touched it up on a strop and after 5-6 passes on each side, I honestly think it was sharper than when I RECEIVED IT!!

Yesterday I skinned 4 deer with the 2 skinners I have and it was a joy..I have a few Doziers also, K2,K9 and I can tell you the performance is identical.

I think the Model One is a winner and probably all a person needs to be honest.. Dan and his wife Wendi and top notch people to deal with and his work is second to none.

You should check out Dan knives on his facebook.. He has a bunch of his work in his facebook page..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have facebook, but I surely do love good knives. Thanks guys for the tip on Crotts work.

Sam......

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thought your Google search revealed all you needed???

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've 3 Crotts, including one of my favorite outdoor knives. After seeing Daniel do a flat grinding seminar at the BLADE show a few years back I asked that he make me up a variant of his #9 with a full flat in CPM 154, convexed edge. It's the coolest "Bushcraft" knife I own - VERY similar to Tom Krein's Bushcrafter model.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Thought your Google search revealed all you needed???

not sure what you have in mind there jesse

Sam......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Theres a couple of Dan's knives for sale on the Bladeforums Classifieds right now. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Saw those posted in the exchange section.

beautiful knives. Decent price.

Crotts Knives for sale

Sam......

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a few of Dan's knives and they are fantastic, which is not surprising at all because I also own some Doziers that I know Dan made - which are some of the best to come out of the shop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a few of them...a #1, a #5, and a custom caper he made me. All of them are good stuff!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dan is a very busy guy and doesn't make as many of his own knives anymore as he used to, I am always glad to get a few now and again but they don't last long on my website.

To see more of his work you can view the knives of his I have sold - Dan Crotts knives on Fort Henry Custom Knives

~ Fort Henry Custom Knives ~

Serious Knives for the Serious Hunter
http://www.forthenrycustomknives.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
202 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.