Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You SOBs cause me to spend money with threads like this.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it would be kind of intersting, say from more of an economists point of view, to take one of these Model 70 Classics, the likes of which are used by Miller, Simillion, Echols, and a host of others, and really test it out over a few years, keeping good records of all that it does, and then going through the process of having one of the g makers, such as Mr. Simillion, do one up such as has been shown here.

The interest would be in seeing what sort of added utility the custom rifle provided over the factory unit, meaning what specific untility was provided, or what specific untilities were provided if more than one.

I am sure that the first untility would of course be added pride of ownership. That is evident from this post. And to put a price on that utility, or really any other, would of course be subjective.

But it would be interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I think it would be kind of intersting, say from more of an economists point of view, to take one of these Model 70 Classics, the likes of which are used by Miller, Simillion, Echols, and a host of others, and really test it out over a few years, keeping good records of all that it does, and then going through the process of having one of the g makers, such as Mr. Simillion, do one up such as has been shown here.

The interest would be in seeing what sort of added utility the custom rifle provided over the factory unit, meaning what specific untility was provided, or what specific untilities were provided if more than one.

I am sure that the first untility would of course be added pride of ownership. That is evident from this post. And to put a price on that utility, or really any other, would of course be subjective.

UNTILITY?

Merriam-Webster, Cambridge, dictionary.reference, nor Oxford list that as a word in the English language.

Please enlighten.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
typing error. The word is meant to be utility.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I have already done that,although not to the level of attempting to quantify any of it, except to note that I have owned enough M70 Classics to easily fund an Echols or Simillion.I say this not to brag, but to show I am not too bright..and that I just like to play with rifles. grin

Some of these Classics were great rifles and others were pure junk. It was not easy to find one that functioned, shot and performed out of the box as well as the pre 64 M70's I have also owned.A M70 gone over by one of these guys works as well as a bolt action rifle can work;some parts are up graded and replace some factory slop. Actions are squared up,and do not leave the shop until they work every time.They are properly bedded, reliable,and accurate and will not let you down on a hunt,because they were built that way.

Spending money on a custom rifle is not a good investment;you will build high and in many cases sell low.....but it is a good way to get exactly and precisely what you want,and without compromises often associated with a factory job.

If I had devoted the funds to an Echols or Simillion in the first place,I might not have spent as much in the long run on lesser stuff.Then again, I might have....within reason,it pays to buy a really great rifle that you will use for a long time.You will likely forget how much you paid the first time you hunt with it;and over the years of use, it won't matter anyway.

Will a custom kill any more game for me than a stock, factory rifle? Probably not. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Out of curiosity, what does Simillion charge for one of his synthetic stocked semi-custom M70?

I noticed Echols is charging 15.5k for his Legend rifles.

ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Last time I talked to Gene, he was charging about $7,500. That is with all the bells and whistles. You may be able to get one for less if you use commercial scope rings and bases, factory bottom metal, bolt knob, etc.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Custom rifles are much like Shelby Mustangs or custom Harley-Davidson motorcycles. A Shelby Mustang may perform a little better than a standard Mustang at the extreme edge of the performance spectrum, but it will not do any better job of getting you to the grocery store. The value in the Shelby or the custom rifle is in getting exactly what you want with few compromises. You could never justify the added cost in pure utility alone.

Chet

Last edited by Chetaf; 07/05/12.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Last time I talked to Gene, he was charging about $7,500.

Chet

A lot of pennies, but considerably less than an Echol's Legend.

How does Gene's rifle compare to D'Arcy's Legend?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How does Penrod compare with Simillion

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How does Penrod or Simillion compare to a good pre-64 with a Brown/Mickey stock?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gene Simillion, that's the guy from Kiss right? whistle

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Did a pre-64 come with the hand-fitted attention to detail already done?

ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not quite to the level of these rifles. While I love pre-64 70's, they are still a mass production item. Gene, Mark and D'Arcy build these rifles one at a time and leave few stones unturned.

Chet

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Chet, I respectfully disagree with your comment about
any old vehicle getting you to the grocery store as well as any other. I drive my Ford truck daily but when I roll out that fire engine red Corvette it is entirely different whether going 25 or 100. Likewise, the experience of owning and using the very best is nothing like using off the shelf or "tuned up" things folks here call custom rifles. Echols, Simillion, Penrod, Fisher, Miller, Brownell and others, Just use one of them and life is much improved. Of course you know this so don't concede the point.

Last edited by RinB; 07/13/12.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
D
RinB,
I understand your point. I like it. Thanks.

ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB
Chet, I respectfully disagree with your comment about
any old vehicle getting you to the grocery store as well as any other. I drive my Ford truck daily but when I roll out that fire engine red Corvette it is entirely different whether going 25 or 100. Likewise, the experience of owning and using the very best is nothing like using off the shelf or "tuned up" things folks here call custom rifles. Echols, Simillion, Penrod, Fisher, Miller, Brownell and others, Just use one of them and life is much improved. Of course you know this so don't concede the point.

I hear what you are saying, but the question was whether an Echols, Simillion, or Penrod rifle yields enough more "utility" to justifly the price. There is no question that they perform better on average than an off the shelf rifle, but do they perform 15 times better? How do you measure the improvement? Is it even quantifiable? Where do you reach the point of diminishing returns?

As a guy that has three Legends and a Simillion I can say that they perform wonderfully, I have no plans to get rid of them and I will probably buy another one in the future. But, just as a lot of people cannot afford a Corvette, many good hardworking folks cannot afford to pay $7,500 to $15,000 for a hunting rifle and still be able to actually hunt with it. Those guys should get a pre-64 70 in their caliber of choice (or whatever your favorite factory rifle is) top it with a good scope and as Dober says, "Go fill arks". The elk will not know if he was shot with my 338 Simillion M70 or one of the new SC M70's in 338.

On the other hand, if you have the disposable income, by all means partake. As I said before, the real "utility" in having one of these rifles is in getting exactly what you want without any compromises. While I am not sure I can go so far as to say that "my life is much improved" as a result of hunting with my customs, I do enjoy the exacting craftsmanship that went into making them. If my customs were gone tomorrow, you had better believe I would still be out in the mountains this Fall with whatever rifle I could beg, borrow or steal and be happy to be there.

Whenever I get leaning too far off the rifle looney ledge, I think of this quote from Allen Day, who knew his way around a custom rifle or two:

Originally Posted by allenday
KC, I like the way you think........ grin

I know of individuals who have purchased or traded their way into anywhere from 20 to 100 "elk rifles" over the last 30 + years. Most of these rifles end up getting experimented with at the range for a while, then traded off on something else. In other cases, those rifles get placed in the back of safe and they're forgotten about, while new "elk" or "all-around" rifles get added to the front row. Most of these rifles are seldom or never hunted with, and the way it works out, some of these guys have gone through 10 or more "elk" rifles for every bull they've actually put on the ground.

And I don't mean to sound too critical here, because in years gone by I've done the same sort of rifle recycling myself, waiting for the good ol' State of Confusion to generously throw me a bone and issue a resident elk tag via the drawing process.

I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time working out, planning hunts, and hunting. If you can't draw a tag and hunt elk every year at home, put in for other states. Either way, the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end............

AD

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Chet,
I read about the endless builds being discussed on this site and am certain the guys who do this could easily afford a legend.

Actually it would cost less when one considers scopes dies bullets cases etc which support each new "build".

Presently, I have three centerfire rifles which are used for hunting and two wood stocked Burgess/Kennedy rifles from the past. I have the 22lr which my dad gave me when I was about six and a 10/22 type which is red to match the Vette.

I do much more hunting now and less fussing about. I have never seen a hunter packing more than one rifle. I have noticed an inverse relationship between those who hunt and those who "build".

I hope this finds all well with you and yours.

Last edited by RinB; 07/16/12.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Problem is most people just can't put up that kind of money or don't want to wait till they can.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Problem is most people just can't put up that kind of money or don't want to wait till they can.

And they shouldn't if they can't wink....then the formula is simply make what you have as reliable as you can and Go Hunting! Go nuts with the favorite Ruger, M700 or M70 in a top quality synthetic,tune it up, and hit the hills....not to worry about what others are building.

Grieves me to report that,despite having been lucky enough to own some very fine custom rifles, the bulk of my game has been killed with common "parts guns" so hideously ugly and unrefined,one glance would freeze most rifle enthusiasts cold. eek

As Chet and RinB have so eloquently stated(and RinB has without a doubt owned more high end customs and metal than anyone I personally know); there is a lot of satisfaction in having a rifle that you know was built with a lot of hand work to detail;functionally and aesthetically,and there is no way you can think of to make it any better.

But at the end of the day you love the ugly,reliable one's that you killed and hunted with just as much.

Good thread and good posts here!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 32 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.