-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does a serial # that starts with "G" and only has 4 digits i.e "Gxxxx" sinify a custom shop gun? In the Blue Book all the "G" serial numbered guns have more than 4 digits. I have a .375 H&H Custom shop gun that has the 4 digit serial #.

I want to make sure that I am looking at a true custom shop and not a Super Grade.

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

GB1

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Most Winchester custom shop guns but not all were stamped with the letters CSG on the top of the barrel near the action. I will look on mine in the next couple of days about the serial #'s and let you know.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks. I have one that says "Winchester Classic Custom" on it. They went through so many changes it's hard to keep up.

Montani Semper Liberi

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What do you get with a Custom Shop rifle, other than nice wood-and I've seen only a few high end Winchesters that came from the factory with what I would call spectacular, SGs usually fall far short-and nice blueing. Accuracy guarantee? Trued and smoothed up action? Something other than a barrel pulled out of the bin, that may have except for chance went on a standard rifle?

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The one I am looking at has a Kreiger barrel, machined bolt, and beautiful wood. The Custom Shop .375 H&H magnum I own has XXX fancy walnut, jewelled bolt NECG sights and shoots 1" groups all day long with Barnes TSX 270 gr. bullets. I am not the original owner so I don't know what kind of barrel it has or what else it had done to it.

What I DO know is that it is spectacularly beautiful and shoots lights out for a big bore. So if that is any indication of what the CS guns are that is why I am looking at adding them to my collection.

Montani Semper Liberi

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does Winchester still have a custom shop?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No. I think when thet closed the New Haven manufacturing plant the custom shop did not reopen at the FN South Carolina plant. I may be wrong but I think that is correct.

Montani Semper Liberi

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
BD,

This is my "Classic Custom Safari" in .375 H&H. It was built in 2000 and has a S/N of G22XX.

I would comment on its accuracy, but it has never been shot.

[Linked Image]

I don't know if the custom shop is still operating, or not.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by donsm70
BD,

This is my "Classic Custom Safari" in .375 H&H. It was built in 2000 and has a S/N of G22XX.

[Linked Image]

donsm70

Dats purty.. wanna sell it??

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I looked up my 3 Winchester custom shop rifles and all of them have a serial # that starts with a G followed by 4 #'s. Hopefully this helps. Since the Winchester custom shop was dissolved when the New Haven plant closed down it never reopened. I don't think it ever will. The FN parent company cares about large military contracts and large units of output meaning money period. The way they closed the plant in N.H. while trying to dissolve the union the paper work disappeared no one knows if they will ever show up. That's the story that was related to me. You can contact the firearms museum in cody, Wyoming or Louisville,KY. they might have more specific information. Winchester has a historian that works out of their Browning plant in Utah that might be able to help you. There is a Winchester coffee table type book that you can find in large book stores that has a lot of history and pictures' mainly their custom shop. From lever guns to M21 shotguns and model 70's. You will get a lot of appreciation for American engineering and craftsmanship. The closest quality to the Winchester custom shop is Dakota Arms. They are different than off the shelf mass produced variances. Win. in N.H. had old worn out machinery the quality was hit and miss. It is not unheard of to receive rifles that had barrels threaded off center etc.. etc..
The off the shelf model 70's had stamped metal extractors and bottom metal etc.. Thankfully the quality of the custom shop remained top notch. The custom shop had Williams machined steel extractors, Kreiger barrels but they have used others. The action was trued and engine turned bolt, jeweled to client specs resulting in butter smooth operation. Trigger was set to desired specs also barrel dimensions and the list goes on. My rifles are stainless steel with Mcmillan stocks. They are the working version but there are exquisite pieces out there. They are definitely worth collecting and using. It is the riflemen's rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Great info MLF. Thanks for posting. As I said I have one Custom Shop M70 that I bought 2 months ago and am so impressed with the fit, finish and accuracy that I would like more of them. smile

Montani Semper Liberi

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by donsm70
BD,

[Linked Image]

donsm70

Beautiful gun! My CS .375 shoots great. I will take a pic and post this weekend.

Montani Semper Liberi

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My Custom Shop M70's serial number starts with UG followed by 3 numbers.

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Blackdogsrule you are welcome. First stop guns in Rapid City South Dakota has good deals. They currently have one for $1,199 but it is in a wsm caliber. If it was me for that price I'd rebarrel it to .350 Rem. I'am a left hand shooter so I'am looking for lefties or I would have bought it and did the conversion. Most Win. custom shop rifles will sell from $2400-4700 unless they have extra engraving etc.. then sky is the limit
By the way the book is by R.L. Wilson
I forgot to mention the name of the museum, it is Buffalo Bill in Cody. Happy hunting.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
MLF, I bought my .375 H&H mag for my 1st trip to Africa next year. I looked at some Dakota's and other semi custom guns and eventually settled on the Winchester. I am so impressed with it that I want to start collecting them. The Dakota's are great as well but the Winchester's have a special appeal in my humble opinion.

Life is short and money is scarce but beautiful guns that shoot well are hard to resist.

Montani Semper Liberi

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by reelman

UG and 3 numbers? Are ther any other proof or stamps on the barrel?

Montani Semper Liberi

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule

It's in the bottom of the safe but I'm pretty sure that it has a special Custome Shop proof mark on the barrel and the receiver. This is a Ultra Grade which was from the Custom Shop and was a limited run of 1000 guns and they were numbered UG001 to UG999

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule

It's in the bottom of the safe but I'm pretty sure that it has a special Custome Shop proof mark on the barrel and the receiver. This is a Ultra Grade which was from the Custom Shop and was a limited run of 1000 guns and they were numbered UG001 to UG999

I would like to find one of those to look at. If you ever get a chance post a pic and share it please.

Montani Semper Liberi

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I only have one custom shop gun a .22-250 sporter varmint from 1988. a beautiful tackdriver with any ammo I shoot. I do know all Custom shop guns have a CS stamp located next to the WP stamp.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
I only have one custom shop gun a .22-250 sporter varmint from 1988. a beautiful tackdriver with any ammo I shoot. I do know all Custom shop guns have a CS stamp located next to the WP stamp.

Thanks for the info

Montani Semper Liberi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.