Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TwoTrax

One of the good things about buying an HD P/U and using it for light duty is it almost guarantees long life. Hope you enjoy the new ride!

very true, and when the time comes along that you actually need at least a 3/4 (and it will), you're already the Boy Scout.

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I know the 6.7 engine and manual tranny are good. Can anyone tell me how the rest of the 2500 trucks hold up over the long run? We plan on having this thing a long time. It won't get hard use like farming or construction.

At this point, we really don't need the diesel and the capacity of the 3/4 ton. However, we're thinking that in a few years we might get us a couple horses. I could haul 2 in the truck and still tow a camp trailer. The Tundra can't do that. The payload of their biggest is only around 1800 lb, less than 2 horses will weight.

Don't know if they've put a better water pump on the 6.7's, the only problem I've had with my 5.9 is the water pump seal/bearing went out at 50k. My dealer is incompentent so I replaced it myself on my dime. The rams are notorious for the ball joints going out so keep an eye on your front end, might need work at ~100k. I haven't had any front end problems on my truck with a bit over 80k on the odo. I'm planning on my truck being a long term vehicle and just keep on maintenance, changes filters and fluids and running some injector cleaner through the fuel a couple times a year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know the 6.7 engine and manual tranny are good. Can anyone tell me how the rest of the 2500 trucks hold up over the long run? We plan on having this thing a long time. It won't get hard use like farming or construction.

At this point, we really don't need the diesel and the capacity of the 3/4 ton. However, we're thinking that in a few years we might get us a couple horses. I could haul 2 in the truck and still tow a camp trailer. The Tundra can't do that. The payload of their biggest is only around 1800 lb, less than 2 horses will weight.

257k now on my '03. Two waterpumps, 2 sets of shocks, 2 sets of brakes, balljoints and steering stuff done for the first time at about 240k. Built the tranny with 65k miles before it grenaded with the power upgrades using Suncoast parts. Its been great since then. I did have to do the infamous defrost blend door, though, and I wore out my original cloth driver's seat at 200k. Bought a set of heated, power leather seats out of a Laramie on EGay. I will keep it until the wheels fall off..........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think we just found a dandy. It's an '08 Dodge quad cab with the long bed, 6.7 diesel and a 6 speed manual!! Love those stick shifts. I ran a VIN check and it's clean. 66k miles. Plus, it's priced $4000 BELOW KBB. The lowest gear is a granny, the top is an OD, so essentially it's a 4-spd around town.

In spite of what the Toyota salesman told us, they wouldn't deal on the Tundra at all. We'd have bought it if they'd come down a couple grand.

This Dodge is 13" longer than the Tundra in spite of having the same bed length. Much of the difference is in the rear seat leg room. The Tundra is a little tight there. The rest of the difference is the hood. The Dodge is also a couple inches higher under the tranny. With that length, it need extra clearance.

Man, your about as wishy washy as I was when I was looking for a new tow rig. lol

If the diesels didn't require so much maintenance I would have considered one but I prefer the simplicity of the gas engine. Change the oil, fill her with gas and go. That's why I went with 97 F250HD with the 460, she's got a drinkin problem but there's no denying the power behind that engine!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
When you plunk down 30 grand on something you plan to keep for 20 years, it pays to consider all the options. When we 1st looked at the Tundra, we weren't considering the possibility of hauling horses in the bed. The Tundra is still a 1/2 ton no matter what kind of junk they have under the bed. It just can't handle that kind of load. 'sides, it took a while to bring wifey to realize we need a TRUCK, not a cargo packin' car.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am always confused when people talk about the extra maintenance of a diesel pickup. The only thing that is different is additional oil since it holds more. Not sure about extra anything else....

Andy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The only additional maintenance is the fuel filter, mine takes 5 minutes to change and costs $14 every 15K miles. Other than that there's no additional maintenance, I don't know where some of these guys come up with that BS.

Dodge builds a great truck. The truck itself is as least as good as any Ford and better than GM/Chevy. The cummins motor is superior to all others. My dodge is a 1999 2500 regular cab, it has 375K miles on it now and while it's a little beat up from all the abuse over the years, everything still works and I wouldn't hesitate to jump in it tomorrow and pull the gooseneck across the country with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a stainless steel contractor I use at work a lot, 3 owners, all 3 have Dodge Crew Cab diesels as their go to jobsite truck. Plus they have 2 or 3 other Dodge Crew Cab diesels for their hands to drive to the jobsites. The 5 are all newer than 2003, the main 3 probably newer than 2006. 80% of the time they're pulling enclosed trailers full of stainless fabrication items. The rest of the time they're hauling round bales with their Deweze beds on the farm. One is well over 200,000 miles. I looked at the President's mileage the other day, it was at 180,000 miles. They drive all over the country in them and don't report to many issues.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Most guys use a loading ramp but I need something portable. I'm working on that one. Most stock racks have a lift gate and you back up to a hill or something. If one isn't available, you have a problem unless you've trained a jumper.

There was a time trail heads had a bunker that you could back a truck up to to unload stock.
Like this:

[Linked Image]

I've never seen one like that in AK, but then again, I've never seen anyone haul stock in a truck up here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here in Idaho, lots of trail heads have those ramps. They just built a fancy new one in a campground where we hunt quite often.

I don't see too many people hauling horses in pickups any more. Most pickups can't handle the weight, then or now. They use either 1 tons (the best solution of all) or trailers. It seems like many of the current line of trailers cost more than the truck pulling it.
There are quite a few old pickup stock racks lying around in back pastures.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The only additional maintenance is the fuel filter, mine takes 5 minutes to change and costs $14 every 15K miles. Other than that there's no additional maintenance, I don't know where some of these guys come up with that BS.

Dodge builds a great truck. The truck itself is as least as good as any Ford and better than GM/Chevy. The cummins motor is superior to all others. My dodge is a 1999 2500 regular cab, it has 375K miles on it now and while it's a little beat up from all the abuse over the years, everything still works and I wouldn't hesitate to jump in it tomorrow and pull the gooseneck across the country with it.

So your telling us that there is no more regular maintenance that needs to be done on a diesel truck compared to a gas truck? That's not what my best friend tells me about his 97 F350 PS.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'd rather do maintenance on a diesel for 400k miles than pay to have a gas engine replaced at 200.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

So your telling us that there is no more regular maintenance that needs to be done on a diesel truck compared to a gas truck? That's not what my best friend tells me about his 97 F350 PS.

I am also in the camp that doesn't think there is significantly any more maintenance on a diesel as compared to a gas truck. The fuel filters are the only thing that I can think of that are more critical in a diesel than a gas (you just change them more often).

Diesels generally do have more engine oil, but that isn't significant to me. Gas engines have spark plugs and coils (that can go bad). Fairly even, IMHO.

Now a diesel truck may be used harder than a comparable gas truck. If you use a gas truck as hard as you use a diesel then the rest of the maintenance on the truck should still be equal.

A 1997 F350 may be getting long in the tooth, but I bet the same truck in a gas would take equal maintenance by now.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Longbob

A 1997 F350 may be getting long in the tooth, but I bet the same truck in a gas would take equal maintenance by now.

Note that the '97 also has 375 miles on it. By now, the gas engine would likely have been rebuilt.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget that a diesel engine requires a hell of a lot more oil than a gasser, has 2 batteries, several filters, and diesel fuel is more expensive than gas. In cold weather they can be a pia, under 20 degrees they recommend that you leave your truck running or keep it parked inside a garage.

I'm not trying to convince you to not buy a diesel, obviously your the one that know's if it's worth it or not. I'm just saying I won't own one because it's not worth it to me. Upkeep is too much plus I don't like having to deal with them in the cold.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Normally, we don't have the kind of cold that AK has. My partner has the same engine in his truck and so far, the glow plugs have never failed to fire it up instantly, even below 0. You do need to use fuel additive when it's really cold to keep the fuel from jelling, but around here most stations have it already added in winter.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget that a diesel engine requires a hell of a lot more oil than a gasser, has 2 batteries, several filters, and diesel fuel is more expensive than gas. In cold weather they can be a pia, under 20 degrees they recommend that you leave your truck running or keep it parked inside a garage.

I'm not trying to convince you to not buy a diesel, obviously your the one that know's if it's worth it or not. I'm just saying I won't own one because it's not worth it to me. Upkeep is too much plus I don't like having to deal with them in the cold.

Diesel maintenance isn't any worse than with a gas engine. Fuel filters, that's about it. More oil.....can't imagine anyone cheaping out over an extra gallon or so of oil. Under 20* isn't any problem. It gets -20* here now and then but starting isn't a problem. And two batteries..... big deal, I replaced them after the first 6yrs.

Pretty stupid arguing diesel with somebody who doesn't own one but knows all about these things from what his best friend told him. Somebody who says diesel fuel is too expensive yet buys a gas hog that gets 1/2 the mileage with nowhere near the same power. Diesel costs the same or less than regular here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

On my 06 cummins powered ram my maintenance intervals have been:

7500 oil filter and 1qt oil to top off
15,000 oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, replace engine oil, and diff oil.
30,000 oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, replace engine oil, diff oil, x-fer case oil and transmission fluid.
I replaced the coolant at 75,000.

Fuel injected gas trucks vehicles really should have their fuel filters changed more frequently, but it's typically a PITA job vs. a diesel truck. I can't see the typical diesel light duty truck requiring more frequent or more extensive maintenance, unless the engine has been hot rodded and the owner is wearing out parts more frequently.

I have had no problems opperating in the cold, I do plug the truck in to warm up the engine and batteries in sub zero temps, but it will start to below zero while not plugged in. I've driven plenty of ford diesel trucks on the slope over the past decade and they work fine down to -40, but take forever to warm up at those temps even with a high rate idle. I have heard of some trucks loosing trannies due to seals that shrank at -45F and let out the fluid. Trannies with no fluid don't last long. The main thing I've noticed with the oil field trucks is ~80,000 miles of gravel roads simply shake them loose.

If you're regularly pulling a load, diesel is the way to go.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
if you tow heavy and/or often, you'll want the diesel.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackman

Diesel maintenance isn't any worse than with a gas engine. Fuel filters, that's about it. More oil.....can't imagine anyone cheaping out over an extra gallon or so of oil. Under 20* isn't any problem. It gets -20* here now and then but starting isn't a problem. And two batteries..... big deal, I replaced them after the first 6yrs.

Pretty stupid arguing diesel with somebody who doesn't own one but knows all about these things from what his best friend told him. Somebody who says diesel fuel is too expensive yet buys a gas hog that gets 1/2 the mileage with nowhere near the same power. Diesel costs the same or less than regular here.

Lighten up francis, your taking things a little personal over a conversationa bout a [bleep] truck. crazy

Steelhead

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
196 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 27 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.