Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bought a new Winchester Model 70 in 22-250 about a year ago to hunt these little blacktail out west in my area. I think the average weight is about a 125 lb's. Anyway I'm running out of time to come up with a reload, so I have been looking to see whats available in factory ammo for a 1/14 twist barrel. I bought a couple box's of Winchester 55 gr. Pointed soft Point and they shoot well under a inch at 100 yards in my rifle. Anybody use this bullet in a .223 / .22-.250 to take a deer? did it work well? thank you

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend of mine whacked a tremendous mule deer buck while we were hunting on the Kaibab (GMU 12AW) with his .22-250. If I recall, I believe he was using 80 grain bullets. Was a couple/few decades ago. But of course, He was using factory loads. Helluva buck - 230+ net non-typical and about 215 lbs (field-dressed).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I doubt that there is an 80-grain bullet that will stabilize in a 1-14 twist. Was it a round-nose? The heaviest bullet that will stabilize in mine is a 60-grain Partition, not a particularly long bullet for its weight. Nosler does list some loads for longer bullets in a 1-8 twist barrel.

Last edited by mudhen; 07/18/12.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have the same question on what to use for deer, I have a Tikka 22-250 on the way and hope to use it in Texas this December.

Ted
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd have bought a 22/250 years ago if they ever got their heads out of their asses concerning twist. I swear Don (Savage99) is the CEO of all the companies.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol..!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I love my 22-250 after swappin the barrel stock and trigger.....laffin.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I wish you were here a few weeks ago when it was 104 during the day, my AC was down hard for 10 days. Good times!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Oh, I saw one Sunday evening in velvet that would have gone at least 140. He was about a mile from the house so I likely won't see him, but you never know.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Maverick940
.22-250. If I recall, I believe he was using 80 grain bullets. Was a couple/few decades ago. But of course, He was using factory loads. Helluva buck - 230+ net non-typical and about 215 lbs (field-dressed).

80 grain factory loads for a .22-250 a couple decades ago...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudhen
I doubt that there is an 80-grain bullet that will stabilize in a 1-14 twist. Was it a round-nose? The heaviest bullet that will stabilize in mine is a 60-grain Partition, not a particularly long bullet for its weight. Nosler does list some loads for longer bullets in a 1-8 twist barrel.

I do recall that he had the standard "green and yellow" box with him on that trip, but I wouldn't be certain whether it was 80 grainers or 60 grainers. If memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure they were 80 grain bullets. Personally, I'm not a favorite of the .22-250 on extremely large Rocky Mountain mule deer. I think the reason he brought the gun was because it was all he had and he figured he could kill a deer with it. Kill he did - a monster. That was a pretty good hunt. Back then the plateau was overrun with mulies. Of course, most of Arizona at that time was going through a high-moisture trend.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I do recall that he had the standard "green and yellow" box with him on that trip, but I wouldn't be certain whether it was 80 grainers or 60 grainers. If memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure they were 80 grain bullets. Personally, I'm not a favorite of the .22-250 on extremely large Rocky Mountain mule deer. I think the reason he brought the gun was because it was all he had and he figured he could kill a deer with it. Kill he did - a monster. That was a pretty good hunt. Back then the plateau was overrun with mulies. Of course, most of Arizona at that time was going through a high-moisture trend.
Now that right there is [bleep]' phunny ! Ain't never been no 80 grain .22-250 factory load in no green and yeller box there mr. eggspurt. The 55 gr Win. sp load the op asked about will kill the schitt outta whitetail deer though and I know that from first hand experience.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I wish you were here a few weeks ago when it was 104 during the day, my AC was down hard for 10 days. Good times!

Good gosh.... What a time for the ac to lay down!!! I wasn't very productive during that time. I found many many reasons to "work on stuff in the gun room"...lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Now that right there is [bleep]' phunny ! Ain't never been no 80 grain .22-250 factory load in no green and yeller box there mr. eggspurt.

Well, like I said, wasn't my gun. But, it was factory loads, no doubt. He didn't handload in those days.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Oh, I saw one Sunday evening in velvet that would have gone at least 140. He was about a mile from the house so I likely won't see him, but you never know.

That's a dang goodin! I know several guys here that have shot some toads over in wayne co. My neighbor is in a lease over there(tryin to get me to get in) and has some very nice deer on camera...not that big though. Hope you see that dude again come November.

Have y'all been gettin this rain lately? Wife had the day off from Walmart and is collinwood fillin in. She says it's been pourin over there this afternoon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kaleb

That's a dang goodin! I know several guys here that have shot some toads over in wayne co. My neighbor is in a lease over there(tryin to get me to get in) and has some very nice deer on camera...not that big though. Hope you see that dude again come November.

Have y'all been gettin this rain lately? Wife had the day off from Walmart and is collinwood fillin in. She says it's been pourin over there this afternoon.

My brother just sent a text and said it's pouring just east of Indianapolis.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I finally found time to duck into the gun room and check my copy of Forker's Ammo and Ballistics II. The heaviest factory load shown is Remington ammo with a 60-grain Partition. If that load will shoot in your rifle, it might work. However, Midway doesn't show that load in their catalog this year, so it may be discontinued. You might be able to find a box or two if you look around.

Midway does show the 60-grain Partition being offered in Federal's Vita-Shok line, so that's another possibility. Lastly, Double Tap loads a 55-grain TTSX that would probably work just as well as the Partition. They are listed in the Midway catalog, as well,

I would try a box of each and see what shoot best in your rifle.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In book gun digest 1985 Savage 22 hi power list a bullet of 71 gr by Norma. Ken Waters 22-250 were loaded with 70 gr smiispitzer from speer

Last edited by savage62; 07/18/12.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm ready to build an ark. It is CRAZY outside. Finally got to mow the lawn the other day and I need to do it again.

Saw him again this evening with another smaller buck and a big gobbler not 50 yards from him. My entire place is surrounded by corn, they planted late so right now it's a little past my knee.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Was thinking of a lease but I'll see what pans out this year and look next. Across the street is a lease, I might check that out, at least I can walk there....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.