Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hey guys,<BR>need help. I was thinking of changing the set up on my bow. Have you ever heard of a JB twist bow string? I helped the owner of JB custom strings on a pig hunt, and I was planing on getting him to restring my bow, what do you think. I was also thinking of changing my arrows to 28 inches from 27, and using sonoran broadheads 125 grain. They are mechanical heads, but they are really tough and accurate, and have a cutting diameter of about 1 3/4". I was also thinking of getting a better stabilizer, any good choices? Finally I was going to put limb savers on it. <BR>What recamendment do you guys have to give me. anything you can give me to improve my shooting would be great. <BR>86<p>[This message has been edited by youngbuckaz86 (edited May 03, 2001).]

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
86, I'm not much on changing what works well for me. If I did go to mechanicals (can't do it -- the fixed blade muzzys are too good) I would be suspicious of the wide cutting diameters. All things being equal, the greater the cutting diameter the less the penetration. I would put the $ to work for me in other ways -- new gear I don't have, a new hunting opportunity, etc.<P>The bottom line is, however, that it's your bow, money, and time. Have fun with it. I do see advantages to a shorter arrow if you can get away with it.<P>Twang 'em. Talus

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hey T,<BR>thanks for the advice. I took the advice from everyone that posted on my other thread, and I'm going to use my mech. blades for deer and javelina, but if I get that elk tag, I'm going to use fixed blades. I just got some sattelites(sp) they are titain s4. they are 125 grain, I hope they work. the person that gave them to me said they will tear s--t up, so I ready to go. I think I'm also going to stay with 27" arrows. you are right if its not broken don't fix it. I am still going to have it restrung.<BR>86

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have heard the name of the strings, but that is about it. Strings are always a good option, and need to be replaced at least once a year, depending on how much you shoot and also a single cam is a lot harder on a string than a double. As far as changing everything else, are you sure you have that much room to cut your arrows? An inch is a lot of length. Stiffnes shouldnt be a problem because it will stiffen it. I wouldnt do it if you are forced to go to the mechanicals to get clearence after taking so much off your arrows. I also would not go to a mechanical for anything except turkeys. Also, the mechanicals with the wide cutting diameter were desighned for turkey hunting, not big game (with exceptions of course). Remember that you are going to get less penetration with a mechanical becuase of the energy to open the head, plus putting a wide head on will reduce penetration more. Also, the wider diameter puts more stress on the ppin that holds the blade on the head and if it hits something hard like a bone, who knows what will happen. It also wastes more energy with a wider blade if it hits at an angle and one blade opens a lot sooner than the others. I personally would stick with a good fixed blade. Why do you want to shorten your arrows and go to a mechanical anyway? I personally dont like them very much. Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for a few days.

<A HREF="http://thesouthern" TARGET=_blank>http://thesouthern</A> outdoorsman.com
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BG,<BR>thanks a lot. I took everyones advice and am going to use fixed blades, I like mech blades because of the accuracy of the head. I want a longer arrow personnaly just for the extra weight, but I like the shorter arrow because of the speed that my bow spits them out. <BR>Unless some more input comes in, What I am going to do is use fixed blades for elk and bear, and for deer and javelina, I will probably use a combo of both. if it a longer shot I will probably use mechs, but if it is inside 40, I will probably use fixed. unless someone can change my mind with a good excuse.<BR>If you can tell I am new at this sport, only archery hunted for 2 years, that is why I ask and think so much.<BR>thanks again guys,<BR>86

Enrique O. Ramirez

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
There is no accuracy difference between a fixed blade and a mechanical. The key is tuning and if you are getting better flight with a mechanical, then your bow or arrows ares out of tune. What weight tip were you using before you decided to start changing everything up. What is your current set-up as far as bow, arrows, tips and weight, poundage and all that good stuff?

<A HREF="http://thesouthern" TARGET=_blank>http://thesouthern</A> outdoorsman.com
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BG,<BR>I thought there was something wrong. I pull 70 pounds, shoot 27 inch arrows, with 125grain tips. I shoot a fletch down. my fletch on the inside or right side gets kinda squiggle after I shoot it. don't for get I'm left handed. my tips are on, so are my mechs. When I shoot my fixed blades I hit about 4 inches low. I just can't seem to figure out why. what do you think.<BR>86

Enrique O. Ramirez

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hard to tell without seeing your bow, but first of all, it sounds like you are getting some fletching interferance with the riser. Are there any marks on the riser from the vanes? If you are getting some interference, try feathers if you arent already. They are a little more forgiving if you get contact. If you have bushing nocks on your arrows, try that. Also, when was the last time your bow was tuned? Might be able to get the rest farther from the riser. If you are getting fletching interference, i would be very leary about cutting your arrows because of the possibility of having a riser/ blade conflict if you are planning on using the fixed blades. As far as hitting differently, try alighning the blades with the fletchings and the POI difference sounds like a difference in Front of Center. Sounds like it is farther forward on the fixed blade.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (6mmbrfan, 160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.