Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scopolamine
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
The only sure way is that a boar will never be accompanied by cubs. Other than that, just try for a big bear. I would pay much more attention to learning how to differentiate size than sex.

+1

+2 "Short" legs with belly dragging the ground plus wide head with smallish ears set down over the corners and it is a shooter, whatever the sex, most likely a pot bellied old boar. If it is "tall" with long legs, it is almost surely a young bear, though I saw one huge boar in spring that was thin that fooled me for a bit.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
BerettaMan, I want to thank you for starting this hilarious thread even though it was a serious question (I think). Here's a link to an excellent brown bear hunting book, even though you are talking about black bears, I think a lot of useful information (including judging bear sex from afar) is in there.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Bear_Hunting_in_Alaska.html?id=a2_AlBwwB5EC

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
well it was a serious question, but I think it has definitely evolved into humor! That has made it a better thread for sure! Alright, here is a fastball down the middle....

How common are gay bears in Idaho???

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, if it was Montana it'd be a big hanging curve for a 'Ingwe caught the gay' comment. grin

He went over yonder way
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Don't have to in Alaska. Shooting cubs or sows accompanied by cubs (be careful there- sometimes the cubs are stashed somewhere while mama feeds) is illegal.

There is a short period of time between when two year-old (nominally) cubs are run off and the sow rebreeds when sows are legal game. I've shot two for meat, not knowing or caring about the their sex at the time, or since.

Last edited by las; 07/03/12.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As opposed to coastal Alaska brown bear and interior grizzly bears, interpreting black bear gender from afar can be tricky for inexperienced. But, the basic principle applies to black bears as it does to the various brown bears.

A key thing to look for when deciding on the worthiness of a male bear - if you're strictly trophy hunting - is to pay close attention to the ratio between the head and neck when compared to overall body length. As with the brown bears, a really large male black bear will have a neck/head ratio that is at least 30% of his total body length.

A long, thick neck with very broad, flat shoulders and heavy forelegs and, a box-shape head with ears somewhat alongside [not directly on top] and with a well-developed muzzle are good indicators that the bear you're looking at is an older age-class male.

But, if it's your first go-round at black bear, any legal bear with a well-furred pelt is a worthy trophy. You shouldn't pass up an incidental bear on a DIY hunt if it's your first hunt for those animals. You can always go back on a bear-specific hunt at a later date and search for the big one.

Best of luck to you and have fun.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A boar gets massivedouche above a hard on, he turns away from a sow. Unless shes Russian.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Every time I use the "lift the tale" method, I get mauled. There's got to be an easier way.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Maverick940

But, if it's your first go-round at black bear, any legal bear with a well-furred pelt is a worthy trophy. You shouldn't pass up an incidental bear on a DIY hunt if it's your first hunt for those animals. You can always go back on a bear-specific hunt at a later date and search for the big one.

I agree with the above. Well put.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by colorado
BerettaMan, I want to thank you for starting this hilarious thread even though it was a serious question (I think). Here's a link to an excellent brown bear hunting book, even though you are talking about black bears, I think a lot of useful information (including judging bear sex from afar) is in there.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Bear_Hunting_in_Alaska.html?id=a2_AlBwwB5EC

Oh, that would be the book/writer that says to "avoid mausers because they jam..."

There is lots of other really questionable stuff in there, too...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm no expert but have seen a few and wasn't sure but beside a big head, little ears and low ground clearance I've been told a male will have a side to side kind of step when they walk as where a female will walk straight and dainty.I would say also look around for cubs,some times they may hang around mother bear for a couple of years they could be almost as big as her but a male will almost always be alone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Baiting them is the easiest way.
Just put out a beer and a cell phone.....

The original international turd
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.