Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
at Standish Custom Gunstocks in Stevensville? Seems like a good guy. Can't find much online about him or any work done by him. He does pantograph copies and inletting.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yep.

Earlier this year I had Lenny duplicate a stock for me, from a walnut blank.

It still took some work afterwards to get the action and bottom metal to fit. And of course it wasn't checkered or finished, had no recoil pad, no studs, etc.

But that's what I told Lenny that I wanted, and he did the work pretty quickly (I remember a couple weeks maybe), for the agreed-upon price that seemed fair (I don't remember the exact amount, maybe $100? $150? $175?).

At the time I was trying to make a stock from a blank. Now, it didn't turn out exactly as I'd hoped, but that's because I later made some errors in the shaping with some hand tools. And the stock is still serviceable, but I won't send it off for checkering, as that's pretty expensive and the stock isn't perfect.

I would use Lenny again, but I would ask him to use a more classic shape for the stock. But that's because my experience was a nice project to stay busy during the winter, but didn't turn out perfectly.

Pic (original stock above, Lenny's duplication below):

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Looks a lot smoother than most semi-inletted ones I've seen. Did you ask him to get rid of the cheek piece that was on your pattern? He offered to mate my action/barrel to the wood for $50. Might give him a shot with a cheaper blank. I made a few errors as well on a rather expensive Wenig stock. Hence my interest in having it mated to my action. Thanks.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I did ask him to get rid of the cheekpiece--that was one of the reasons I wanted to change stocks. The old Win pattern handles recoil fine, but just doesn't fit me superbly.

Having him mate the action/barrel would probably be a good idea. At one point in the project I could fit the top metal (action and barrel). Then a bit later I could get the bottom metal to fit. Then I realized I could fit them both separately, but they wouldn't fit at the same time (screw holes weren't perfect or something).

Good luck! I enjoyed the woodworking project through the winter.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Some actions can be a little tricky in that alignment regard. Thanks for reminding me. I just did some bedding around the bottom metal on this Mauser and I better go drop the action in to see if it lines up. Thanks.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.