Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi John,

Please could you go deeper inside this tread, seems that you agree with me but as i'm not so fluent in US langage i don't really understand Yawn. These cartridges were to be introduced under Norma brand. But seems that the Swedes are smart and knows very well the market: there's not a lot of place for others calibers doing nothing better than the already existing ones. Blaser wanted to have is name on some to go with the new R8 rifle so they did it. For exemple without going over pressure and in total security i can load the old 7Rem Mag to the velocity of the Blaser round using french Vectan TU7000 and 8000 powders with the same bullet the same with 300 and with the new High performance Hornady, the former Winchester Partition Gold loading and Federal Hi Energy already bested that!I can load my 8x68S or 8Rem Mag to the velocity of the 338 without danger for me or bystanders and as you know the 8x68 has no belt...
Maybe you understand that i'm no Blaser fan (for lot of reasons)but generally considered by others as honnest and knowledgable so your impression about these cartridges even if you don't test them would be appreciated.
Regards

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Marseille,

"Yawn" means the whole thread bores me.

While I can understand any company wanting it's own cartridges, I just can't get excited about yet another introduction of "rimless magnums."

We have seen many rimless magnums introduced in the fairly recent past: Dakotas, Lazzeronis, Remingtons, Rugers and several other obscure lines. Exactly why some company like Blaser would imagine that there's yet more room in that marketplace puzzles me.

But maybe there is an infinitely expanding market at the top end, among hunters who are willing to pay for anything new and relatively expensive.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thank you John for your answer. I think about the same and i agree with you and i don't know if you've seen the new rifle from Blaser the R8. May be at the Shot Show or i can crack my press cr-rom on this forum tonight. Lot to say about....

Here are the real world velocities:Temp 13�C, Chrony Gamma

7mmBlaser 140grs AC: 885m/s 2900fps
300Blaser 180grs TTSX: 876m/s 2870fps
338Blaser 200grs AC: 895m/s 2935fps
375Blaser 270grs TSX: 810m/s 2660fps

No worse but no better than the other magnums..
You're right with the last part of your answer expensive and often not adapted rifles sell well in Europe and in France. Blaser sold 150000 R93, more than 20000 came to France.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Blaser cartridges seem to be a solution in search of the preverbal problem. What will they do that other cartridges will not do - thinking of the Remington Ultra-Mags, Lazzeroni, Dakota cartridges, etc.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty
[quote=djpepper] ....... They look just a little larger than the 7mm rem magnum, 300 win mag, 338 win mag and about identical to the 375 Ruger.

Right......folks on here have expressed a desire for this since the 375 Ruger showed up,hoping this would be the next line of cartridges Hornady would bring out. Instead we got the RCM's or whatever you call those shorter things....These are likely very similar to the Dakota lineup of cartridges.

Interesting! Anyone try one of these new cartridges?

It would be a great to see what the real world velocities are.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We already know the potential in the real world.....look at the Dakota lineup of cartridges. smile

As one example,a 7mm Dakota will push a 140 gr bullet at 3300+ fps easily from a 24" barrel.

Just look at Writing Frog's chronograph results above....no wonder the factory stuff "kicks less".....it isn't loaded to the round's full potential.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I first got a Blaser (Ultimate) years ago because of the switch barrel concept, coupled that I bought the distributor's sample at a seriously discounted price. It worked well, even though a bit unconventional in appearance. This was my "gun of the month" period of my life, and it went after a couple of years.

I got into the R-93 business, quite by accident . I had a Browning Olympian .270 for many years that had begun to show evidence of salt (no action/barrel blue loss- but the butt plate screws and the bottom swivil stud were eaten up. I could not sell it for anywhere near what the Angelo Bee engraved barreled action was worth, but I did stumble into a dealer that had what he thought was a "clean" stock for it. I traded the salt gun heads up for a Blaser R-93 with one barrel and scope mount. I did pay extra for another barrel, mount, and fitted case. On the heads up part of the trade, I think I did well, no really well, as far as cash value. If I had it to do over, I would have paid 1000-1500 to a good stock maker and kept the Mauser. The Blaser is accurate, I just do not use it. Perhaps it is time for it to go.

The topic of todays discussion is cartridg design. I see no useful purpose for the shorter fat cases in a Blaser. They are already light and the action is not going to get smaller to utilize them. In fact the newer R-8 is a larger, heavier action than the R-93, to better handle cases of .375 and larger. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 67 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.