Print Thread
Hop To
S
srmmike Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have a friend wanting to trade me a ruger blued with a skeleton stock and i have never seen one of these and was wondering the value of it. is it worth less or more than the stainless models considering it might be more rare. it is a 30-06 if that matters and thanks for any help you could provide

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think Ruger sold the "boat paddle" on anything but stainless. Still should be a good rifle, but not a collector. Somebody wanted a wood stock for their SS gun and switched them out. I did it myself once.

Last edited by lastround; 07/23/12.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm actually thinking they did sell that combo in the late years of the skeleton stock. I'm not sure though. I could be wrong.....but I don't think it would carry a premium to collectors if they did.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There were quite a few blued boat paddled rifles put out. Some of them were special dealer runs.

S
srmmike Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I am not really thinking it would carry a premium price or anything like that i was just hoping that it would keep the same value as the stainless models and he did say he bought it new with that stock on it.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It just depends on the buyer. Some guys like all black guns some only like black and stainless. FWIW I would allow $450 tops for this combo ( gun + rings) but that's just me. As for you, depending on how bad you want, I'd say pay as much as you feel comfortable with. You only live once... grin

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Are you going to collect it or hunt with it? I would not pay more for a blued with a boat paddle stock. IMHO the value is the same as if the rifle was stainless. Ruger stainless/synthetic sell for the same price as a blued/walnut.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 07/24/12.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 7mm-08 blued in the skeleton stock that i bought new and know was factory issued. I ordered it after seeing it in a Ruger catalog.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I believe they used the last of the skeleton stocks in blue guns after they changed over to the black synthetic one. Had to do something with the left overs. My memory is that they were a shinier blue that typical. I don't see it as a collectable at anypoint. In fact I think they might have been a lower price point, to move. I'm sure that varied from dealer to dealer. Never appealed to me, but I do like the stainless with skeleton stocks.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like one of the runs Davidson's did a few years ago. I thought they were done about the time Ruger discontinued the skeleton stock. I had a blued/skeleton in 257 Roberts.

Dale

The more you know, the less you need.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I also saw that combo chambered in 7.62x39. Looked pretty cool all black.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ive seen a few. They were sold new at very low prices. I'm thinking it was a way to move the ones they had in inventory after changing over to the more conventional stock.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stand corrected.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I believe they used the last of the skeleton stocks in blue guns after they changed over to the black synthetic one. Had to do something with the left overs. My memory is that they were a shinier blue that typical. I don't see it as a collectable at anypoint. In fact I think they might have been a lower price point, to move. I'm sure that varied from dealer to dealer. Never appealed to me, but I do like the stainless with skeleton stocks.

Jack is correct. I looked into these 77s a couple of times. They were less expensive than the other 77s, selling for $389, IIRC, in a couple of ads I saw at the time. I am not aware of them having become a hot item since their closeout days.

Dave

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 56 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,201
Posts18,466,042
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.