Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
The newer Model 70's are a true Magnum length action.

Are you saying they now use a true magnum length action instead of using the altered standard length action? Did not think this was so, thought it was only in lengths of super short, short and standard.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I have a Win M70 .458WM

With 450gr. North Fork Flat point Solids and 72gr. of AA2230 it'll hammer anything and everything I may ever hunt with less felt recoil than my AHR Lott.

Damn right Fost, and I hear they make a Cup Point solid too that penetrates like an expanding solid.
Spose to be bad to the bone. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not sure about the current actions, but expect they are the same as pre-64 in this respect -- easy to open up a std length M70 to magnum length. Relief of the metal is done at the back, as well as the mag box. Not much trick to it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
I have a Win M70 .458WM

With 450gr. North Fork Flat point Solids and 72gr. of AA2230 it'll hammer anything and everything I may ever hunt with less felt recoil than my AHR Lott.

Damn right Fost, and I hear they make a Cup Point solid too that penetrates like an expanding solid.
Spose to be bad to the bone. wink

Gunner

Yeppers.

I'm taking a handful of 450gr. NF CPS next month to Zimbabwe. PH has never seen them, and is interested in how well they perform.

Back on topic for the OP:

With the availability of today's premium bullets and powder, there's honestly no real need to convert the .458WM to a Lott.

Unless of course it's just and itch you have to scratch just 'cuz. grin

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
FOsteology, what velocity are you getting with that load and what length barrel are you using?

Thanks,
John

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Average 2214fps with 24" barrel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Originally Posted by safariman
The newer Model 70's are a true Magnum length action.

Are you saying they now use a true magnum length action instead of using the altered standard length action? Did not think this was so, thought it was only in lengths of super short, short and standard.

I looked into it and I don't believe such an animal exists, they do not manufacture a magnum length action, it's a standard length action that's machined a bit differently to make room, same as the post-64 classics.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I'm taking a handful of 450gr. NF CPS next month to Zimbabwe. PH has never seen them, and is interested in how well they perform.

Lucky dog! What species is on the menu? Looking forward to the pics and a loooong report! grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The North Fork bullets are great Big Bore bullets.

I have been working with the Cutting Edge Bullets Non-Con in the Big Bores and cannot believe how they perform. What is great you get a little more velocity from the brass bullet and can use a lighter weight bullet and get more straight penetration.

Why change your 458 WM for a 458 Lott just change bullets to Cutting Edge Non-Com, they give you performance plus.

Last edited by coyotewacker; 07/27/12.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
With today's powders and bullets I would just stay with the 458 Winchester Magnum. A Swift or Northfork 450 or 500 grain bullet over some Accurate 2230 powder should be a great combination.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I re-chambered a Winchester M70 .458 win to .458 Lott , I got the chamber reamer, pilots, go/no go gauges from Pacific tool and gauge. Its a straigh forward job to do. I didn't need to alter the rails. it fed just fine. I pilar beded the stock, and also fitted two Tally K98 cross boltls which I also bedded. I fitted "The Max" recoil reducer in the butt.
I shortened the barrel to 21"
I am pushing a 450gr TSX@ 2372fps and its very nice to shoot.
I fitted a Leupold 1.25-4x20 and that works well along with quick release mounts. I took the flip up leaf sight off so it just left a single leaf. Its basically a 50yard gun. but I can get a clover leaf at 100yds off the bench. It does hurt from the bench, but standing or off sticks is fine.
I took it to Namibia last year, and sat up a tree with it and shot a Kudu, so if it can be shot from sitting on a branch and not kicking me off, then it carn't be that bad to shoot!
I used it on driven boar in Croatia and it proved very effective, but worked best without the scope.
I was going to go back out to Africa with it on cull BufF , but that fell through, so maybe next year for that.
Every one has their own idea of what they want as a rifle, I had mine,and I built it,and I'm happy with it, but it may not be you have in mind.
If you do go for a Lott then you can still run .458 win mag in it. You can use lighter bullets with reduced loads for hogs and go up to 450 0r 500 for Africa. I would reccomend the 450TSX.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gorgeous rifle and a fine buiild there, Paul! Damned fine Kudu as well. About 52 inches, I am guessing?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Cheers Safariman, I'm happy with it. A few ladies have fired it at the range and they can still function normally! Infact theres a couple of ladies that always ask if the can have a play with it when I get it out.
Not sure about the size of the Kudu as I never measured it.
I never do. But it is nice looking.
All the best,
Paul.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.